Team-BHP - My Maruti 800 crash: A first-hand account
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   My Maruti 800 crash: A first-hand account (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/123686-my-maruti-800-crash-first-hand-account-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samridh (Post 2843746)

Thanks for all your support and love!! If any of you have any questions I am always there to answer them for you!!

I've been there and i can relate to your timeline very well. I've been bedridden for many months following and accident and now i'm a lot better. Accidents happen, you've been down but you're a winner! Keep the spirit high and you will be be back to normal.

Drive safe!

This is what I learned from the accident -

1. Don't delay your plans in life. By delaying them we are only living in the false hope that we are bound to live long.

2. Get a health and accident insurance. I didn't have one and paid a lot of my hard earned money in getting me up. Thankfully, I could do it with my money and didn't have to rely on my family for it. Notwithstanding, its best to have a sufficient cover.

3. Never drink and drive. I remember so many days when I used to vroom after having inhuman quantities of alcohol. Thankfully, on the day of the accident I was not drunk. Imagine if a sane man (at the top of his reflexes) can meet with such an accident, what may happen when you are under a severe influence of alcohol. We must also understand, this accident could well have been the other way around (that is a car hitting a 2 wheeler or a rikshaw).

4. Talk to your family, love them and tell them how special they are. Its embarassing to always be on the receiving side (of love). Me and my dad always had a very quiet relationship. We often have dissenting opinions on issues. Post the accident, I could not go to my family house in punjab as we have 3 boxer (dogs) at home. One show of affection cud be fatal while I was in bed. Being a nuclear family of 3 (mom, dad and me), someone had to take care of the house, the dogs, the bussiness. I needed someone as I was hinged to the bed (preferably male as my mom can't physically move me). My dad gave up his bussiness and stayed with me to see me through this phase (15 months). We never spoke too much before the accident, but now he is my friend. For this reason alone, I probably am glad that this happenend, else I wouldn't have ever known how much we love each other.

5. Keep a paper note/chit containing all your important numbers (family members) in ur wallet at all times. A phone is the first thing that may be flicked out of ur car at the time of a crash. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR MEMORY. I am a lawyer and deal with a fair number of issues all day, if not more, I have the memory of an elephant. But after the accident when I was taken to the hospital, due to such a lot of blood loss I just couldn't remember my mothers number. I would say the first 5 digits of my mothers number and and the last 5 from my fathers number. It happened at least 10 times.

6. Don't try to move immediately after an accident. Try and use all ur senses and all mobile organs like ur limbs. If your limbs don't move or move with a lesser degree of control it could be a nervous damage, spinal injury or something worse.

7. If u realize there is a breakage ask by standers to use wood, card boards, steel rods (like jack rods) to make a temporary cast to support the broken bones. A freely broken bone will have sharp edges and will cause soft tissue injuries, muscle ruptures and may even lead to ligament snapping (which is at least as bad as the fracture, if not more). Healtier soft tissues and muscles will help the bones recover much faster. So DO NOT PANIC and SAVE WHAT YOU HAVE. MITIGATE further injuries. I was dying so couldn't call the ambulance. But if you are somewhat ok and feel you are in a position to call an ambulance. It is not as expensive as you think it is. Even if it is, its a tad cheaper than your life.

8. Never believe the 'first opinion' of the doctors (the real opinion will come on the first or the second examination). They know that you need courage. They will not tell you on your face if you are going to be on bed for 1-2 years, at the time of the accident or 1st examination. I think they are right in doing that. They are not crooks. They just know human phsycology a little better than you and me. They see human lives wasted everyday and a are privy to the frustration that follows. The 1st estimate that was given to me was 3 months. At the end of 3 months, I hadn't still had a bath, not used a toilet etc.. At the end of june, that is 4 months after the accident I was re-examined and said I was doing ok. When I asked my doctor "how long will it take to walk without crutches", he said "you will not be able to do it in 2011". But he added, "one day you will". I was quiet because my family was with me. We left from his chamber and cried like it was the end of life. I really thought I will never because the union had just begun. My information and research told me that people with bad bad crashes and broken femurs had recovered in 6 months. If the bone doesn't unite in 9 months its declared a non-union. I knew if nothing had happened in 6 months, how could something happen in the next 3. I WAS WRONG. The doctor was right and the phase from the 9th to the 12th month was the best. Motto: Believe in your Doctors. They know their thing.

9. The time on your bed is killing so better pursue your heartiest desires. I used oils and canvasses to paint. I downloaded over 20000 songs in anticipation that one day I will get a rocking music system in a new car (which meant I 'knew' one day I will drive).

10. Eat healthy, its normal to indulge in food while in bed. My weight shot up by 20 kgs in 6 months and today that single thing is the biggest hurdle between me and my full recovery.

11. Talk to loads of women and garner their support and sympathy. It shall pay in the longer run. I remember going to bars with 2 crutches. Women would come talk to me, wish me and go. Its a lighter way at looking at problems. What if I had lost an organ. What if it was more worse. Learn to accept yourself the way you are and not the way you want to see yourself. Accept where you are, laugh at the golden moments that you had in the past, treat your present problems as if they are much smaller and could have been faaaar worse.

Life is a gift, treasure it but don't hold back for the greatest moments to be served on a golden platter. Go get a an ordinary china bowl and assimilate what ever you can best manage and share it with your loved ones. Take your wife or girlfriend for a lovely (I deliberately didn't say lavish) dinner out today, spare ur self for a second and tell her that you forgot the wallet in the car, rush to a flower vendor and get her a bunch of flowers. Surprise her and when she asks you what just got into you, tell her that a friend just made u realize how special life is and for you she epitomizes life.

Samridh > Thanks for sharing your ordeal with the forum. I totally agree with what you have said and also glad you have fully recovered.

The foremost important message in this whole episode to be taken by everybody seriously is the importance of FIRST AID and the GOLDEN HOUR to rush the victim to the hospital immediately.

Thank God with this two things we were able to have our Bhpian back to us.

Samridh, thanks for sharing your deepest thoughts about the incident. There is a lot we take for granted. Planning for the future guides our daily decisions. The mind is in a constant battle between the tow sides - "destiny" and "random". I guess, none of these are as important as love and relationships. One must always have a sense of respect for another being. Society should never stoop too low.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery:thumbs up

Samridh,

Just went through the entire thread. As Sankar stated, keep your spirit high. And every word of your learnings ring true.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Hi Samridh,

Incredible story, and very well written. I especially loved post #47.

Just two questions for now :
1) Were you wearing your seatbelt at the time of the accident?
2) Are you still in touch with Mr. Mehta?

Thanks for sharing this.
R

Bro, I don't suggest you go dancing just yet, a quick change of direction will put far more strain on the ankle than just walking, running or even squatting. If you rush it you could aggravate the injury [been there done that].

I suggest you walk a lot and then start cycling.

Get well soon Samridh.

Did i miss something? What happened to innova guy? Legalities?

Quite the tearjerker this.

I wasn't having a very good day and then realized that I'm actually doing alright. I can't imagine the torture and pain you would have gone through. Sure I've had my bones broken and skin gashes, even as recently as a year ago. But this is something that requires that something special, that something extra within to come out and help you through probably the toughest situation in your life.

I'm sure one day you'd look back at this - completely recovered and raring to go and do the things you love and cherish. You're a strong man. I don't think I would be able to endure the things you have.

Thanks for this wonderful eye-opener.

I do have a few questions and they're rather similar to Rehaan's.

- Could you walk us through the legal hurdles you might have had to face? You know, regarding the Innova and the Swifts? I'd read that you didn't bother with an FIR, but I'm sure the police will be involved. This was a major shunt after all. I'm a final-year law-student and would like to know, if it isn't a problem of course. :)

- It's good to see that you've made two very good and life-long friends while suffering through this ordeal. Your father, and Mr. Mehta. How is Mr. Mehta?

What an experience its been Samridh! Wish you a full recovery soon. I can completely relate to what you're saying.

I had an accident 45days back and left wrist had multiple injuries. Iam just recovering from it now, with only 60-70% movements on my left hand. I know how painful it is to be on a hospital bed, to be at home and struggling to do even the simplest of things, that we just take for granted.

In the end, we need to be grateful to all the people who helped and served with all the love during this period. You rightly mentioned about the family bonding, indulging in our passionate hobbies and eating healthy!

I also suggest you to first try some relaxed walking, then brisk walking and then some light jog. You can indulge in dance after that.

Take care. :)

I can empathise with Samridh. I broke my left femur & all my ribs(yes I was not wearing seat belts) and spent 45 days in hospital and 6 months on crutches. The good part is that I am normal now. People I had never seen before took me to hospital and that's why I am alive today. One should never drive past/leave behind accident victims. I could happen to anyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2845972)
Hi Samridh,

Incredible story, and very well written. I especially loved post #47.

Just two questions for now :
1) Were you wearing your seatbelt at the time of the accident?
2) Are you still in touch with Mr. Mehta?

Thanks for sharing this.
R

Thanks Rehaan!! To answer your questions:

1) Yes I was wearing my seat belt. In fact the steering column had colided with the roof due to the accident. Because I was buckled up, many a internal injuries were prevented. Even though my head had been cut open at a few places, I was lucky that I had no internal injuries.

2) Yes I am in touch with him. Though I don't disturb him too often. Me and my family have expressed our sincerest sense of gratitude to him on a few occassions in the past. I am planning to meet him sometime soon with a small present :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprucegoose (Post 2845986)
Bro, I don't suggest you go dancing just yet, a quick change of direction will put far more strain on the ankle than just walking, running or even squatting. If you rush it you could aggravate the injury [been there done that].

I suggest you walk a lot and then start cycling.

Thanks, shall keep that in mind!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2846164)
Quite the tearjerker this.

I wasn't having a very good day and then realized that I'm actually doing alright. I can't imagine the torture and pain you would have gone through. Sure I've had my bones broken and skin gashes, even as recently as a year ago. But this is something that requires that something special, that something extra within to come out and help you through probably the toughest situation in your life.

I'm sure one day you'd look back at this - completely recovered and raring to go and do the things you love and cherish. You're a strong man. I don't think I would be able to endure the things you have.

Thanks for this wonderful eye-opener.

I do have a few questions and they're rather similar to Rehaan's.

- Could you walk us through the legal hurdles you might have had to face? You know, regarding the Innova and the Swifts? I'd read that you didn't bother with an FIR, but I'm sure the police will be involved. This was a major shunt after all. I'm a final-year law-student and would like to know, if it isn't a problem of course. :)

- It's good to see that you've made two very good and life-long friends while suffering through this ordeal. Your father, and Mr. Mehta. How is Mr. Mehta?

Glad that my posts made sense!! Coming to your questions:

1) The police arrived soon after I was conveyed to the hospital. As usual they were in a mood to throw their weight around. I was in a mood to throw them around. Told them I am a lawyer by profession (and other routine Delhi walla jazz) and they better get their act together. They vanished immediately and even scolded the hospital attendants for not taking good care of vakeel saab (as if i should have gotten butter chicken n' lassi instead of morphine and antibiotics). They came on the day of the surgery too but met my family, spoke a few concilliatory words and left. Thereafter, they arrived on Day 3, met me, took my statement, told me who the innova guys were and promised to get them back. Since I had already decided to give them a pass (after giving them a thrashing), I confided in the OIC. He returned later in the evening along with the so-called representatives of the innova owner, obtained an NoC from both the parties and proceeded to omit the case from the police register. I just called the policeman in and asked him to arm twist the innova guys and and extract the most benefit for himself (the policeman not me). I said, "harass them, gaaadi 3-4 din tak mat choddna, aur jo bhi 20-50 hazaar mille rakh lena". That was it!!

2. Mr. Mehta is fine just not as chirpy as he was at the time of my accident. But a loving man nonetheless!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingkolors (Post 2846348)
What an experience its been Samridh! Wish you a full recovery soon. I can completely relate to what you're saying.

I had an accident 45days back and left wrist had multiple injuries. Iam just recovering from it now, with only 60-70% movements on my left hand. I know how painful it is to be on a hospital bed, to be at home and struggling to do even the simplest of things, that we just take for granted.

In the end, we need to be grateful to all the people who helped and served with all the love during this period. You rightly mentioned about the family bonding, indulging in our passionate hobbies and eating healthy!

I also suggest you to first try some relaxed walking, then brisk walking and then some light jog. You can indulge in dance after that.

Take care. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!! Best of luck for your recovery!! It shall be all fine even before you know!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike (Post 2846408)
I can empathise with Samridh. I broke my left femur & all my ribs(yes I was not wearing seat belts) and spent 45 days in hospital and 6 months on crutches. The good part is that I am normal now. People I had never seen before took me to hospital and that's why I am alive today. One should never drive past/leave behind accident victims. I could happen to anyone.

Great to hear that you are all fine!! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samridh (Post 2848320)
Thanks Rehaan!! To answer your questions:

Even today we drive past accident victims thinking that we would get dragged into a case not knowing that those draconian laws of yesteryears have been changed since long, but we still tend to hear those old exceptional story from previous generations and believe in it even today.

Wishing you an express recovery Samridh.

Good to see that you faced the ordeal with courage and came out a stronger and more mature as a person.

Medical insurance coverage with accidental and dreaded disease rider is a must for all people nowadays. Kindly push your organization to provide the same to all employees even if it means you have to pitch in with some contribution from your side.

Best wishes once again.

I had read your story before, but re-read it once more. I am happy that you came out of it completely and now you are getting on with your life. Memories will remain however, they cannot be completely erased.

The post #47 alone is enough for anyone, to get out of a depressing situation; many thanks for sharing it. I learned a lot from that post alone.

All the best with your recovery !! :thumbs up:)