Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2012, 13:22   #1
BHPian

God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)

Hello Dear Friends,
God wanted me to stay alive and I really thank him. On 14th August it was raining moderately on Lonavala Ghat section. I was alone, time 12 noon or so. Speed of the car about 80 at that junction.

For details of my car ownership: "Playing Polo on the Black Stallion"

Turn of events:
1. Just crossing Sinhgad Institute is a big turn, roads are wet. Must be 80kmph at that turn.
2. My car wears Yokohoma S Drives - meant for rain (I suppose). The car and tyres done 29500 kms on it.
3. I have Polo TdI Black Highline model which has ABS & Airbags.
4. The car is maintained really well, absolutely no issues, no niggles throughout approx 30K kms of its life since May 2011 last year.
5. Car was due for servicing at 30K and I had appointment to give it to KSM motors after my day long trip to Pune.
6. Anyway at that crucial turn about 100 meters from Singhad institue, a speeding truck just kissed my Polo's left back side.
7. The car just lost control as I applied breaks in panic, I could hear or feel the ABS.
8. The car swirled around atleast 6 times ( I counted) on the highway in the same direction I was travelling (towards Pune)
9. I could see the car move into the divider section & I began praying that I dont get crossed to the other side of the expressway just to be tossed by speeding vehicle coming from the front.
10. I dont know what happened then (after i broke into the middle part of the 2 highway sections).. I started hearing lot of noises and car taking weird directions (turning topsy turvy) or whatever.. I couldnt see anything...Either I was **** scared or I dont know..
11. I heard a bang and the next moment I realised all this action had stopped.. (i.e. swirling, bouncing, crashing etc.).. I saw that I was upside down. I again began praying that I am not on the opposite side or in the middle of the highway and someone comes and bangs me.. I couldnt figure out where I was.. (ofcourse I was in the car)
12. I was upside down. The first thing I did was -- started honking continuously thinking I am in the middle of road and people should get alert.
13. The car blinkers were blinking continuously automatically, I hadnt started them
14. I always drive with fog lights ON during the rains, so they had remained on that way.
15. Next I removed the seat belts and crawled out of the car from the driver side window which was anyway shattered.
16. Next fearing a car explosion (although I thought diesel cars dont burst) - I removed the ignition key.
17. I stood with a big pain in my chest and torn clothes with shock.
18. I looked around and couldnt understand where the hell I was.. I had FALLEN OF THE BRIDGE, which is a duct in the center of the highway and a canal for all the mountain waters to pass,
19. The car was upside down, the boot had opened & my laptop bag was thrown out.. I picked the bag up from the canal (the canal was having about 2 feet water -- which runs only during rains I suppose).
20. Even before I had crawled out of the car, a team of 10 highway patrol police had rushed to the spot. The car had blocked access from where they could come to rescue me vs. where I stood.
21. The other side was deep in water so I couldnt go that side to get out.
22. However they climbed and took me quickly in 2 minutes right into an ambulance where the doctor did preliminary check.
23. The ambulance rushed me to the hospital in Nigdi Pune.
24. I was alright ( cant believe) friends rushed in and X-ray/sono etc was taking place..
25. I have broken few ribs and fractured few, and minor bruises around my body.. Rest I dont want to talk about medical stuff.. just to let everyone know.. I'm alright.

Now I have few major questions: If anyone can help me put light on those it will be helpful.

1. The VW Polo Airbags DID NOT OPEN. Neither driver nor passenger. WHY? Can I log a complaint against VW -- I bought this car just for airbags and ABS.
2. I fell into a pit about 20 feet down upside down. Did the sturdy construction of the car body itself saved me? I thought this was the case for atleast 10% true.
3. I thought ABS doesnt let your car slip and skid.. Is my understanding wrong? Do I need a car which has EBD instead? (remember teh car swirled after applying brakes)
4. I later learnt I had crashed the pit wall RCC concrete wall of 15 feet completely and then fallen down. The car shape is deformed into amoeba like you see in the pics.

I think only GOD saved me and no other car would have. Please share whatever thoughts you have for this incident.

Other points:
1. Highway police - top notch professional. After I returned back on my way to Mumbai I met them and they refused to take any sort of gifts from me.
2. Went to Lonavala Gramin Police station - they need 20K for FIR !!! Same old shitty behaviour
3. VW helpline was helpful -- they towed the vehicle immediately after I requested FREE OF COST
4. The car is under warranty, but still airbags didnt open which remains a mystery to me. What should I be doing?
5. I am a safe driver, I was conscious when all these things were happening, I neither had fallen asleep even a wink, or forget drink and drive.
6. I could count the number of turns, the hits the car were taking, and I didnt forget to breathe. The cars which meet with only maybe 10% of what happened can kill people (Cops told me they die of cardiac arrest).
7.Please suggest me a safer car.

I think only GOD saved me and no other car would have. Please share whatever thoughts you have for this incident.

Thank you for reading my post!
Drive safe!
Frontosa is offline   (82) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:25   #2
BHPian

re: God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)

The duct you see in one picture has RCC walls on all 4 sides. My polo crashed into one of it, broke it completely & I fell inside with the car upside down.

Others are the car pics :(
Attached Thumbnails
God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)-carcrash-site1.jpg  

God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)-car-crash.jpg  

God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)-car-crash-2.jpg  

Frontosa is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Can i touch you once?

For after seeing the pictures of the car, you escaping with a few broken ribs, well seems like God was right in the passenger seat.

As for the Airbags, even i dont understand. I too had ABS/Airbags right on top of my buying decisions and would like to know why yours didnt work.
revintup is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, you are lucky. Count your blessings. There is next to no damage to the front of your car - so you obviously did not suffer massive deceleration and hence I would not expect front airbags to open. Presume the Polo does not have curtain airbags. ABS is not going to save you from a spin caused by a high speed side impact - it will only prevent you from skidding under normal braking. Lets remember that airbags and ABS do not make us invulnerable. Take care, and drive safe.

Last edited by Hayek : 18th August 2012 at 13:56.
Hayek is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:53   #5
BHPian

Looking at the car, you are seriously lucky person to be alive.

That turn you met accident on is a tricky and a long one, especially in the rains.
I used to study in Sinhagad Institute, and over the time of 3 years of my stay there, have seen many accidents, a few quite serious ones.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Man !! You are lucky and God IS with you. Thank god nothing big happened. I am shaken by just reading this incident, I can imagine how you would have felt.

You can request VW to analyse why the car did not open its airbag. The only probablity that i can think of is the sensor circuit would have jammed on impact. There have been instances of Air bag opening when Polo hit a curb at 40 kmph. This should have inflated the airbag.

Another safer Car? Only A volvo or an Innova V.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 18th August 2012 at 13:56.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes God saved you here. Happy to know you had no serious injury

Considering that the passenger compartment itself is twisted out of shape, I too am wondering why the airbags did not get deployed.

Is it because nothing severe has happened to the front crumple zone - means there has been no direct frontal impact for the airbags to activate? How many airbags are there? 2 frontal?
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Frontosa - One of my very dear friends had a similar escape at exactly the same spot about 10 days before you. His car spun 360 degrees for 5 times, hit the divider and was badly damaged but my friend is absolutely safe. There was however, no other vehicle involved.

Dear all - please be careful at this spot. It is just after the Sinhgad Institute 90 degree turn going towards Pune.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing and reading your post it is amazing you survived. Blessings from above did the miracle!

Guess under the prevailing circumstances no airbags would have deployed since it depends on the frontal impact. The body shell of the car seemed to have played a part in you being safe.

Take care and Drive safe!

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th August 2012 at 14:21.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:17   #10
BHPian

WELCOME TO YOUR 2nd LIFE
Dude, you do realize that you are one lucky guy, right??!! Seeing the pics, nobody will believe that you came out of it alive. Well I dont know if you should sue VW or thank VW. If the ABS & AIRBAGS tried to kill you,by failing to act,the rigid bodyshell saved you!!
Buddy, was there oil on the roads? I dont see any other explanation as to why the car skid on applying the brakes.
Kudos to Highway Police!!
My definition of a safe car was the one which has at least ABS & AIRBAGS. I guess I need to find a new definition.
Dude,rememberto celebrate every 14th Aug as your new Birthday!
Regards
Varun
powertrain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Can i touch you once?
Exactly what I felt after reading. Hell man!!! You can now seriously believe in reincarnation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
There is next to no damage to the front of your car - so you obviously did not suffer massive deceleration and hence I would not expect front airbags to open. Presume the Polo does not have curtain airbags. ABS is not going to save you from a spin caused by a high speed side impact - it will only prevent you from skidding under normal braking.
Cars with minimal frontal damage can burst open airbag. Depends greatly on sensors sensitivity and the placements. I don't like to doubt about VW's design defect here.

That said, this car went through lot to get into this mangled shape...
Quote:
13. The car blinkers were blinking continuously automatically, I hadnt started them
..and the electricals were working!!

I'm not trying to draw any conclusion here. To me, it looks like an one off technical failure. Car with that shape and without airbag deployment looks like an exception to me.
Could seriously be a manufacturing defect.

Frontosa, you're one hell of a lucky guy to share your experience here. God bless.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:23   #12
BHPian

This is only a miracle. God did surely save you. Seeing the condition of the Car nobody would believe that someone survived that bad an accident.

Don't fret over Airbags I feel that it wasn't deployed since it wasn't a frontal impact. Btw, Were you wearing a seat belt?

OTOH I have also read about some complaints about VW Cars failing to deploy Airbags in accidents even in cases of frontal impact.

Remember reading about Geopathic stress causing a lot of accidents on the E-way - http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index.aspx?page=article§id=11&contentid=2011062920 1106291949262152c309aa8
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the pictures of your polo sends shivers down my spine, seems God was really watching you that day that you escaped with minor bruises.

As for the airbags, it seems as there wasnt any frontal impact the airbags didnt deploy but the solid VW build saved you.

Take rest and as for a new car, have a look at Jetta or Passat with loads of safey features.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Thank you all for your messages. I'm attaching few more pics which may assist in analyzing if at all.

One more question:
Car had Yoko S-drives but they still skid.. why is that?
Also Polo has 2 airbags, no curtains

Yes many accidents have happened at this spot. I went to MSRDC office yesterday and offered a senior office to sponsor a "Drive safe accident spot" board. He politely said, he will do his best to get such a board put up and inform me once done and that I dont have to pay - inspite of my request.
Attached Thumbnails
God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)-back-side.jpg  

God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)-side-polo.jpg  

Frontosa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Do not know about airbags. But the car did save you. Thanks to its rigid build.

And thank the God. It is a horrible accident. You sure have blessings of the almighty to walk out of it safe.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks