Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 18:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: God saved us from a nasty Accident in Rajasthan

The link below is an help to know about how to stay awake while at the wheel.
http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-when-Driving
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 23:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

All is well that ends well. I personally believe "every one deserves a second chance to correct a mistake"! And you got it! You & your family are quite lucky to escape, lets thank God for that. One accident doesn't mean you lose your confidence and stop doing it for ever! But learn what you did wrong & correct it.

I am happy that you are back to driving. And I would really want you to do that trip again, safely & successfully. This will make sure your love for driving is back & erase all those bad memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I think this is where...
1. Strong Coffee after a meal
2. Redbull
3. Moving ones eyes all round, ie. looking at left OVRM, right OVRM, overhead mirror in turn
4. Good beat music
5. Moving at a speed which forces you to stay alert,
...all come into play.

Stopping is obviously THE BEST option. Slowing down is BAD because it comforts you & makes you even more relaxed...NOT GOOD.
Splendid points. But some times even this can't help you keep your eyes open. What I do in such cases is

1. Find a well lit place, preferably with shops open & people gathered for tea / coffee etc & take a quick nap for 30-60 mins. It's OK; we are NOT super humans & some times it's in-evitable.

2. Adjust your seat into a very UN-comfortable position, like sitting upright.

3. Wash your face with cold water frequently.

4. Chew gums!

1. Now to blame you a bit, I never suggest a 100 kmph on a car like Wagon R which has a messed up dynamics. The latest generation is better, but still a NO from me.

2. Please do make sure you get your kiddo(s) to buckle up - this is mandatory! Please!

Another question - Since you are NOT sure whether you dozed off, do you remember making any abrupt movement with your steering wheel? Like a sudden slip of your hand holding the steering wheel or something of that sort? Trust me, such a thing can turn the Wagon R upside down very easily!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th September 2012 at 00:03.
Old 25th September 2012, 09:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Sab uparwale ki meher hai. We all are glad that you lived to tell the tale.Reminds me of an incident happened with me. .
Thank you Farukh.

Good to you that you managed to pull the Car from a certain accident. Also appreciate the fact that your father handled the situation well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Would love to add few tips which I follow - Should be helpful for fellas
Thank you Vignesh for the Tips. I will ensure to follows some of these in my next drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The link below is an help to know about how to stay awake while at the wheel.
http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-when-Driving
Thanks a lot Rajeev. Those tips are really good. I have taken a hard copy of the same for future reference & implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
All is well that ends well. I personally believe "every one deserves a second chance to correct a mistake"! And you got it! You & your family are quite lucky to escape, lets thank God for that.
Thank you Swiftnfurious,

Yes. I have got second chance & thanks to God & my family for the same.

Your suggestion about noe crossing speed of 100 kmph in old WagonR is quite valid. Infact I ensure not to cross speeds of 90 to 100 kpmh during my trip. At the time of accident I was at speeds of approx 80 kmph. Frankly speaking I cannot recall the exact chain of events that lead to this accident. Probably either I was caught with motion blindness or sides of road were covered with sand & I did not notice it.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 10:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is where...
2. Redbull
3. Moving ones eyes all round, ie. looking at left OVRM, right OVRM, overhead mirror in turn
4. Good beat music
...all come into play.

Stopping is obviously THE BEST option. Slowing down is BAD because it comforts you & makes you even more relaxed...NOT GOOD.
I am 100% agree with first four options but option five is really scary. Whenever you feel sleepy, taking a 10 minutes immediate break at road sides and a cup of tea if possible is I think the easiest option.
Other option which may not be always available could be a change of driver!
naren_L is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 11:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
2. Adjust your seat into a very UN-comfortable position, like sitting upright.
Wouldn't that give you a backpain? I'm a victim.

Quote:
1. Now to blame you a bit, I never suggest a 100 kmph on a car like Wagon R which has a messed up dynamics. The latest generation is better, but still a NO from me.
Would you say the same about Santro? Is it because of the tall boy design?
Old 25th September 2012, 12:16   #36
BHPian

At risk of going OT, following are some more tips for safe driving on highway:

- If the highway is wide, take the middle lane. They give u additional time to react from sudden encroachments in your path.

- If narrow, then stick to the right lane. If there is no divider, then be 300% alert.

- No loose objects on the dashboard. Mobile phone should be silent ... or if necessary then it should be within reach of the left hand

- If you see an anomaly on the road (say broken down truck with leaves/branches sticking out), then reduce speed and put on the parking lights. Will prevent u from being rear ended
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 13:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't that give you a backpain? I'm a victim.
Well, not for the entire journey, but it sure can shake off the sleep. Once you are fresh, adjust it back!

Quote:
Would you say the same about Santro? Is it because of the tall boy design?
Tall boy, soft suspension etc contribute to it. I can't be sure of Santro since I have never driven it for prolonged duration. But I can vouch for 2 generations of Wagon R!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 22:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

Also I just heard that Sam Kapasi passed away yesterday in an accident on Mumbai - Pune E'way in his Land Rover. RIP Sam & I sincerely thank God once again that we were gifted to see another day & write about this experience.

Thank you all once again.
While God is great and he was with you and your family, I wish your news on SAM is false..Please, please do not tell me it it true..
Old 26th September 2012, 09:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
While God is great and he was with you and your family, I wish your news on SAM is false..Please, please do not tell me it it true..
Thank you Manjubp,

Yes I am sure God is still with me. But I now ensure to take even more precautions while driving.

Regarding news about Sam, I regret to say that it is true. Even I was in state of disbelief earlier, but he is gone & even the final rituals are done. That is indeed a very sad news for all of us, he was just 39 years old. Please follow the below link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...i-no-more.html

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 26th September 2012 at 09:28.
Old 26th September 2012, 10:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is where...
2. Redbull
4. Good beat music
...all come into play.
I would add sound sleep before the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Jignesh,

At many places in Rajasthan, the sand encroaches the road because of heavy winds. Something like this -

I'm 90% sure you were a victim of the above situation. Driving over these at anything over 40 kmph causes you to lose control. Even at 40 kmph, you have to wrestle a bit with the steering wheel to make you are going straight.
I agree. I could be either this or slight deviation towards edge of the road that would have led to this accident.
Old 25th January 2013, 14:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

Today is 25th January & it is precisely one year since this unfortunate accident happened. Infact last year exactly at this time (14:25 hours) we were 30 minutes after the incident & trying to come back to terms (life).

Much has passed in last one year & life has been good. We as a family do not discuss this incident anymore, but somewhere in my heart the bitter feeling (of my family have to pass through this) remains.

Anyways, I am not frustrated anymore & have also taken up short / medium car trip again. My recent trip to Lonavala & Lavasa (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...la-lavasa.html) was a confidence booster.

I once again thank God for saving us & all the others who helped us on that day. I also thank our friends HVK, MX6 & Parag Sachania for their help & motivation after the accident. I further thank fellow Team-BHP members for their kind words on this thread.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 14:49   #42
BHPian

What's gone is gone my freind, it's the first time i bumped into this thread and read the whole incident. Sometime even after taking all precautions, we get victimized.
I can understand what would have gone through but since now thats a past, i am sure you would have nurtured your driving habits by quite a factor. God bless you and your family.

OT : I can see that you bought anathor WR after loosing the last one. Seems you are one of the many fans of the car we have out there.

-Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 21:37   #43
BHPian

Jignesh get back on the road this time do a 5000 kms drive. My wife has same color Wagon R as yours and she drives furiously.

She was driving my Honda City after 3000 kms drive, last leg. I was busy calling people and took my eyes off the road. She had a nasty accident due mind drift. Set me back by Rs 40 k on insurance no sweat. Car was in driving condition. I took the wheel and drove just 20 kms while she was totally shaken up.

To restore her confidence, I forced her to drive 90 kms to home.

In the Indian Air Force, when a pilot crashes n dies, the entire Squadron flies the same day immediately for 30 minutes.

I applied the same to my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Friends,

Today is 25th January & it is precisely one year since this unfortunate accident happened. Infact last year exactly at this time (14:25 hours) we were 30 minutes after the incident & trying to come back to terms (life).

Much has passed in last one year & life has been good. We as a family do not discuss this incident anymore, but somewhere in my heart the bitter feeling (of my family have to pass through this) remains.

Anyways, I am not frustrated anymore & have also taken up short / medium car trip again. My recent trip to Lonavala & Lavasa (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...la-lavasa.html) was a confidence booster.

I once again thank God for saving us & all the others who helped us on that day. I also thank our friends HVK, MX6 & Parag Sachania for their help & motivation after the accident. I further thank fellow Team-BHP members for their kind words on this thread.

Thanks,
God has nothing to do with this. Else why did he not prevent the accident?

It is the man- machine-road interface. Once we understand that we are done.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th April 2013 at 08:32. Reason: Merging posts
nanduchitnis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 03:42   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post

God has nothing to do with this. Else why did he not prevent the accident?

It is the man- machine-road interface. Once we understand that we are done.
A rational view indeed. You should read this book called ' Ganesha on the Dashboard'...
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 11:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Jignesh get back on the road this time do a 5000 kms drive. My wife has same color Wagon R as yours and she drives furiously. To restore her confidence, I forced her to drive 90 kms to home.
In the Indian Air Force, when a pilot crashes n dies, the entire Squadron flies the same day immediately for 30 minutes. I applied the same to my wife. God has nothing to do with this. Else why did he not prevent the accident?
Hello Nr. Nandu,

Thank you for the kind & motivating words.

I truly accept that God has nothing to do with this & have never blamed some external force for this accident. Anyways past is past & let us forget it.

Reading your 2007 bike traelogue to Ladakh & the fact that you have decided to do it again this year, has motivated me at a large extent & I frankly cannot express the feeling here. I am now literally on the edge to go for a trip once again. Even while I was rifing my bike today morning, I could really feel a renewed enthusiasm which was missing earlier.

Thank you once again for eliminating my mental blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A rational view indeed. You should read this book called ' Ganesha on the Dashboard'...
Thank you for the book reference. I will definitly read it & let you know the feedback.

By the way the book I highly recommend to others - Cobversations with God by Neale Donald Watsch.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 29th April 2013 at 11:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks