Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 18:16   #91
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Pune Expressway: A long chat with a Highway Patrol person

Very nice thread. I had sometime back started a thread on the topic-
Review: Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

What the patrol person says is very true. Many new drivers who for the first time get on to YC Expressway get mad after seeing the road. They soon get to speed beyond their control. Further, there are many tricky turns on expressway where if you are speeding you tend to loose control. Similarly, travelling in extreme right lane if your tyres get off the tarmac even for a moment vehicle just swirls into spin.

I personally trust one thing - Till the time your speedometer needle gets vertical clockwise car is in your control. When it tips over the car is no more in your control. In most Indian cars at 100 kmph needle gets vertical.

The worst drivers on expressway are private Mumbai-Pune Volvo buses and best ones in my observation are Cool cabs.

What I am learning from friends - Yamuna expressway is also going the same way as YC which is sad.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 11:15   #92
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Also, do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post.

Thanks

A very informative article that reinforces common sense! Thanks for sharing it

I believe there is/are no thumb rule/rules that hold true in 100% situations and scenarios. There are far too many permutations and combinations.

At the end of the day it's about -

1. Being a mature and responsible individual who always stays within the limits and rules defined by authorities. They are there for a reason you know.

2. Being accommodating and sensitive to the needs/situations of others (read trucks, taxis, cabbies who knows the condition of the vehicle they are driving, the stress they are under, etc.).

3. Always always always leave margin for error, be it your error or someone else's.

4. Keep a relaxed mind at all times, no matter what and avoid the urge of confrontations with fellow drivers/vehicles.

5. Let aggressive drivers pass., there is no sense irritating them by blocking them or racing with them.
Hopefully they will learn their lesson in a not-so-harsh-way someday-somewhere. If not, then very unfortunately, they get what they asked for.

In my view, these things surely help in minimizing the risk of accidents.

There is a lot of madness and chaos on the roads, it's our choice to add to it or not.

Now I shall go and try to follow my own rules which is much easier said than done

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2012 at 15:43. Reason: PM coming up
sameer_tangri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 15:44   #93
BHPian

SDP, thanks for sharing the conversation. We just see them as another labourer or an employee of some govt / private organization. Never realized pain they go through when they attend those accidents and the noble cause they are doing.

Everything the gentleman said we know and understand, however we never realize these common things. I am one of those guilty who speed up on express way in 110 to 120. I just realized that I never ever want to be in a situation when I will require any help from this gentleman in my life while on expressway. I am ok to be called Mr Late.

one few occasions I did try to be on 80 kmph in the middle lane. Man, I have seen others giving those looks like I committed a crime by sticking to speed limit. Still I try to keep calm and move ahead usual course or give them way.

The words this gentleman used about luxary car is utmost correct as every occasion I travel to pune, I see them zoom passed at a lightening speed while flashing xenons, be it SUV or sedan.

Now a days I dont see those high marshals keeping tab on overspeeding vehicles. Used to see them sometimes back.
Firebird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 10:13   #94
BHPian

Very informative piece you got there. All the so called riders and drivers should read this.
vaibhav amlekar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed