Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 09:24   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissoumya View Post
Since its time for tyre shopping, is it ok to fix different brand in one wheel when rest 3 tyres are of the same brand
As advised earlier, avoid having different brand tyres on same axle at least.

Quote:
(or may be keeping stock tyres at the front and change the rear tyres).
This option is better. Other option is to move spare apollo on rear wheel & buy new tyre as a spare. On the other hand, If buying 2 new tyres, install those on rear axle.

Quote:
Any suggestion which tyre should I go for?
Please check Duster thread in 'tyre and alloy wheel' section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Any idea by people more experienced here on what could've caused this?
Most likely due to low tyre pressure and/or some sharp object near a kerb.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:06   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
Exactly. I feel very fortunate that everyone was safe. In doing so I had put the lives of my friends in danger as well, and I did toss around in bed that night at the thought of it. And as I mentioned in the post itself, lesson learnt - I shouldn't have taken the risk of such high speeds a) at all; or at least b) especially under the circumstances (time of day, state of tyres).

Driving at 100% of the perceived limit of the car is not feasible for long distance highway cruising, it's best reserved for track days, with full precautions. That's the main lesson learnt actually. And quite a small price paid in exchange, all told.

I did think about other parts getting damaged as soon as I saw the ABS light after changing the wheels and getting into the driver's seat, so I gingerly checked the brakes multiple times in the service lane and checked for steering pulls in either direction; before sedately taking off from the location. The car has since been parked at a safe parking spot, and will not be driven at all until I find time to get it towed/safely driven to the service center (probably tomorrow or Wednesday).

Time to shop for tyres now - would be looking into the best available option for 175/65 R14's. Any pointers would be appreciated.
I had a Figo which was sold at 90000kms. It came with Good Year GT3 and the performance was quite bad. Since the running of my car was quite a lot, I wanted a tire which was lighter on my pocket. I went in for Kenda tires and trust me, the performance was far superior than any other budget tire. I changed to Kenda from GT3 at 40000 km and the tires had a good life even after covering 50000 km.

My other car is SX4 which has currently done 75000 km out of which the Stock JK tires went up to 45000 km. I opted for Nexen CP672 and never regretted it.

Both Nexen and Kenda are very good tires for the Indian conditions and work perfectly under all conditions. However, out of the two, Nexen is a better tire because of the silent drive it provides. Just wanted to share my opinion. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2017 at 11:09. Reason: Grammar.
joelchandra is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:02   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
The tyre hasn't even breached 1000 kms and is less than 15 days old.
Which company do these tyres come from?
Even my car tyre developed 5 punctures after running only 3000kms. I had to get the tyre fixed and have swapped it with the stepney. The stock tyres are Goodyear in my case.
Have contacted Hyundai and have asked them to get the tyres replaced. Let's see what they can do.
Old 5th June 2017, 11:32   #274
BHPian

Had my first tyre burst yesterday on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. Fortunately, it was not dramatic and I managed to steer the car to the left shoulder after slowing down.

My almost 10 year old Hyundai Getz had the first tyre change at around 50k kms. I had got the stock (stock in the sense, I had replaced the Goodyears by Bridgestone after taking delivery of the car) Bridgestone tyres replaced with Michelin XM1. These tyres gave absolutely no problems during their life. I don't even recall having more than 2 punctures in all their lifespan, which unfortunately exceeded their lifespan. They were now running for almost 66k kms. Tyres were worn out, though the grooves were still ok. The tyre change was long due and I was well aware regarding their condition, hence on an occasional highway trip, did not exceed 80kmph at all.

As bad luck would have it, on this trip the car was fully loaded with 4 adults and I had just got the air refilled on the first petrol pump on the expressway after already driving 50 kms. Another 50 kms later, just after the cricket stadium, I felt a wobble on the front left wheel, and I thought it was a puncture. Dropped speed and kept going slow in a straight line and at the first opportunity to move left, parked at the leftmost lane. On inspection I found that the tyre which had less air over the past 2-3 weeks, was blown out from the sidewalls and it was very hot to touch !!

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-20170605photo00010988.jpg

It was 8pm in the night and I was stranded on the expressway for the first time in 10 years. Had a spare tyre so within 15-20 mins, the tyre was changed (Got the opportunity to use the triangle red reflector for the first time). While this was going on a NHAI patrol van stopped to enquire whether I needed any assistance. I just thanked them for stopping and told them that the tyre was changed and I would be on my way. They left. After the tyre change, the car refused to start. It seems the battery died down for some reason. Called up Bajaj Allianz road side assistance, their lines were all busy and after 10-15 mins the operator tells me to send them my current location and they will send someone in 60 mins . Didnt bother sending them details, instead called the highway patrolling number (9822498224) and they send a patrolling team in 10-15 mins. The 2 patrolling people on the motorcycle offered to call a tow van, but I insisted they just give a push and help in getting the car started and if it doesn't work then call the tow van. They must have pushed just 10m and the car started again I must appreciate the response time of the highway patrol. Though I have heard horror stories regarding the same, I was lucky to get assistance quickly. After that it was an uneventful 25kms drive to reach home. On the way I got an earful about not changing the tyres on time, but to my credit, I always anticipated this and hence did not exceed 60-70kmph on the highway.

In all, everyone was safe, including the car, though it could have been much worse had I been speeding or if there was heavy downpour at the time the breakdown happened. Recalled some of the tips I had read on the forum and that helped me to just slow down in a straight line and not panic in such a situation. My strong advise would be to change your tyres within reasonable time and not take the risk of driving with worn out tyres especially on highways where the chances of accidents are higher and availability of road side assistance is lesser. Sometimes you may be lucky, most of the times, you may not be.

I am due to purchase a new car for a long time, was waiting for the GST roll out in July to put my money. Will be keeping the Getz as a second car for maybe 10k kms more for local commutes. I am looking to replace all 4 tyres immediately. Would appreciate some advice on which tyres I should go for considering I don't want to keep the car for over a year or two and don't want the absolute best the money can buy. Specs are 175/70 R13 82H

Last edited by aviraj : 5th June 2017 at 11:47.
aviraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 13:01   #275
BHPian

Try Apollo Amazer - Will do well for your requirements. Reasonable price, No trouble upto 40k kms, comfort and performance are just average. But will do the service for your demand.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 13:27   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
I am due to purchase a new car for a long time, was waiting for the GST roll out in July to put my money. Will be keeping the Getz as a second car for maybe 10k kms more for local commutes. I am looking to replace all 4 tyres immediately. Would appreciate some advice on which tyres I should go for considering I don't want to keep the car for over a year or two and don't want the absolute best the money can buy. Specs are 175/70 R13 82H
Falken Sinceras are pretty okay. Cheap, grip and perform as decenly (or poorly whichever way you look at it) as michelin energys or yoko earth 1s and come with a 5 year warranty.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 21:49   #277
Senior - BHPian

Four of us were driving from Chikkamagaluru to Biruru at around 5.30AM last Monday. My colleague was driving and I was in the co-driver's seat. Exactly in front of Kadur Bus Stand, next to the gap in the median where buses enter/exit, there was a football sized, irregular shaped rock lying in the middle of the road. It was invisible until the last 50-60 feet.

My colleague tried to avoid it at the nth moment but couldn't. The sharp edge of the rock managed to hit the sidewall of the tyre with a loud thud and before we knew it, the front right tyre had lost all air.

With very little steering input and careful braking, we stopped a little ahead and replaced the punctured one with the stepney. The 185/65 R15 MRF ZVTV rubber of the Ertiga Zdi had barely run 10,000km .

Fortunately, neither the alloy, nor the underbody received a hit and remained unscathed.

What made the matter worse was the fact that the spare tyre, lying as it does at a slightly inaccessible location, was under inflated. I had my heart in the mouth for about a kilometre till we reached a petrol bunk and topped up the tyre.

PS:
Soon after the hit, I had the presence of mind to locate a car wash ramp, park the car on it and thoroughly inspect the underbody for hits/damages .
Old 25th August 2018, 13:51   #278
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Blame low profile tyres i guess!

https://localpress.co.in/trending/aa...-route-nashik/

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-aadityathackeraysrangeroversuffersmultipletyreburstsafterhittingpotholeenroutenashik.jpg

Quote:
Shiv Sena leader Aaditya Thackeray became the latest victim of bad roads after three tyres of his luxury SUV burst while he was en route Nashik during the wee hours of Saturday.
Quote:
Ironically, the pilot vehicle travelling in front of the SUV managed to go over the pothole without sustaining any damage, while the Range Rover, which has a reputation of being among the best off-road cars in the world, couldn’t.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 08:13   #279
BHPian

The MRF ZVTS on my Altis are 5 years old, and need to be replaced due to time. I maintain 32 psi on all tyres.

Yesterday however when I checked the pressure, the rear tyres showed a pressure of 40. I checked the pressure because the week prior, the fuel economy had come down a bit. Do the tyres need immediate replacement? And does excessive pressure decreases fuel economy?
Old 13th June 2020, 21:59   #280
BANNED

A tyre burst accident near to my house.

The car lost control and swerved and hit an electric pole. Don't know the exact reason!

Image Source: FB
Attached Thumbnails
How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-1.jpg  

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-2.jpg  

Old 13th June 2020, 22:50   #281
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

2019. September. Mini Cooper Convertible. Rental Car from SIXT in Nice Cote D’Azur Airport. Equipped with 17 inch alloys shod with typical BMW RunFlat Tyres.
Quite deep in Rural France on the Route Napoleon. An hour and a half out of Grasse, en route the Citroen Museum in Castellane. Approx 10 km before the nearest “Garagiste” in Castellane, while taking a clean sweeping left curve on the lovely twisty Escragnolles mountain road, I heard a very loud “hiss” from the front right side and immediately the tyre pressure light came on.
So I slowed and stopped knowing full well what had happened. Hazard lights on. High Vis Jacket slipped on. Boot open. Warning Triangle put out on the Road 15 feet behind. Quick inspection. Sure enough it was a tyre wall cut. So we limped at 40kms per hour until the Garage in Castellane. And waited for help.
Nothing at all one can do. No spare in the Cooper. No tyre inflator in the world would have made a difference because the tyre wall was holed.
So we waited and finally got relief from Sixt Rentalcars.
Here is a picture of the car with the front tyre flatter than a pancake.
And this is why I am happy that my real life personal Mini Cooper S back home in India runs peacefully on normal 16 inch rims and tubeless tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-2d62e772a55345aab2315039de868d45.jpeg  

How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout-6793e61e940d45b788d2ce9c7e95b16b.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:04   #282
BHPian

I just came across an article by Michelin

The good news for motorists is that as long as tyres are not damaged in any way, the safety on dry roads actually improves as their tyres get worn. As seen on race circuits around the world, in dry conditions the ‘slick’ is the tyre of choice; and similarly for the ordinary motorist, levels of grip in dry conditions increase as the tyre tread depth reduces. A worn tyre will stop a vehicle more quickly in the dry than the same tyre when new.

Is this true??

Link - https://www.automotiveworld.com/news...l-environment/
Old 8th November 2020, 18:29   #283

Hi All,

I have a Maruti Swift ZXi, 2013 model that has done only 15k on the odo, and is running stock MRF ZVTV 185/65 R15 tyres. I cannot see any wear but is it time to replace the tyres, considering the age? Please advise. Thank You.
Old 8th November 2020, 18:52   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSwift View Post
I cannot see any wear but is it time to replace the tyres, considering the age?.
Don't go by the tread wear. I had covered 35k kms on stock ZVTVs and they would've probably done another 20k kms before hitting the tread wear indicator. But there were minor cracks all over due to age and for the moment I've replaced them with 195/65R15 from my friend's Ecosport (which were in much better shape).

Carefully inspect the sidewalls for any deformation, cracks, budges or cuts. 7 year old tyres will most probably have surface cracks unless you've protected them really well from outside elements.

Last edited by self_driven : 8th November 2020 at 18:54.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 17:34   #285
BANNED

Re: How to handle (and prevent) a Tyre Burst / Blowout

If you are in an unfortunate situation where your tyre bursts remember you are going to have very little control over your vehicle and you got to maintain that little control you have. So, if your tyre blowouts, your sudden instinct is to slam those brakes. But this response is wrong. Because, if you slam on the brakes it will upset your car’s balance and might send your car into a skid causing you to lose the little control that you had over your car. So, the key is to keep cool, not panic and follow the below steps:-

1.Accelerate slightly to maintain control of the car and keep going straight.
2.Hold the steering firmly with both hands.
3.Ease off the accelerator slowly once your car is back into line.
4.Now when your car has slowed down you can apply minimal brakes if needed and pull the car off to the side of the road.

The most important things to remember here is to maintain the vehicle’s stability.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed