Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2015, 01:00   #211
BHPian

I think this is practiced all over the country. When I took delivery of my verna, the car was so bouncy which I had not noticed in the test drive. Went to a pump and the tyre pressure was 47psi.

Even after delivering the vehicle after 1st service, they filled it to nearly 45 psi.

Gave them a mouthful and has not happened at 2nd service.

What is the reason behind over inflating tyres to such an extent ??? Does it provide better mileage figures ??? 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 1st July 2015, 02:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware New Car Owners : Over-inflated tyres !

Such a sad incident, Whenever i took a delivery of my new car, My first stop is to a nearest petrol pump to fuel up and check the air pressure and ALWAYS in all the cars that i have bought, the tyre pressure was around 44PSI, Recently while getting the jetta the tyre pressure was 42PSI all around, But i was glad to see the dealer asking me to check the tyre pressure asap, and also while taking the delivery of New age XUV the tyre pressure was 38PSI all around.
Its okay if they practice such a thing at the stockyard, but before the delivery they should keep a check of the tyre pressure, After all how many customers coming to take the delivery of their new car pay attention to the tyre pressure?
Old 1st July 2015, 02:46   #213
Senior - BHPian

Maybe by the pressure in other three tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
How did you find out it was inflated to 60 psi ?
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 04:12   #214
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the loss. RIP.

This has been discussed out here and is a common dealer practise. While picking up your car please take it first to a bunk and get the tire adjusted.

When we were buying our fortuner my dad asked the service guy to do it who said yes. When i came and checked it was at 45!

Maddy
Old 1st July 2015, 07:23   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Without asserting that AND how the accident actually happened, I don't think it's right to assume over inflated tyres caused the accident. Recently media have moved from brake failure, high speed, rash and negligent driving to Tyre burst as the most commonly assumed cause for road accidents.

BTW has anyone driven a car which is inflated twice as much as it's supposed to be? I can feel that the whole ride has gone for a toss when my car is over inflated by <10 psi.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 08:59   #216
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May the departed soul RIP and wishing the driver a speedy recovery! It is always shocking to reading about such accidents on the road.

+1 to that @speedsatya.
And what were the conditions when this accident happened, like what speeds were they doing, any panic braking, rain, oil on the road, did the tyre(s) hit any sharp object, etc ?

How was the accident attributed specifically to over-inflated tyres ? This is not clear.

Also, do search and read the forum - you will see that under-inflation can cause tyre bursts as well (which is commonly overlooked or not understood by many).
Old 1st July 2015, 09:01   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
What is the reason behind over inflating tyres to such an extent ??? Does it provide better mileage figures ???
Reason is simple - From the dealer's point of view, cars one received from Factory are kept in open ground for days and months together (depending on sales movement). As air pressure decreases day by day, what these dealers do is overfill the tyres to 50+psi and let it sit so it is eventually at 35 psi during delivery (If PDI is done sincerely). Some are ignorant and during delivery, they check and find it low, hence they overfill it.

IMO, it is responsibility of both the owner and manufacturer to keep the recommended pressures during delivery and post servicing. It can't be a single handed blame game.

I very well remember during my Swift ZDi PDI, I had seen the issues to be around 50 psi. Got them decreased to the recommended and ONLY then signed the papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
BTW has anyone driven a car which is inflated twice as much as it's supposed to be? I can feel that the whole ride has gone for a toss when my car is over inflated by <10 psi.
Yes, I have had driven 700 kms on all 4 tyres inflated at 49 psi post the third service in my Swift ZDi.

I check air pressures every week so after the service, I didn't check as I had warned them during the initial PDI (during purchase) to not overfill with air. So I thought they understood what I asked them but was shocked to see the pressures that day.

I drive on highways regularly with speeds between 80 - 110 kmph. I did get doubt as to why is the ride so stiff and back breaking, this made me check the air pressure.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 10:06   #218
BHPian

Condolences to the deceased.

I had expirenced the same in my Brand new Fortuner. The tyre had burst on my 100 km run fortuner outside my office at parking speeds while climbing over a small patch of stone rubble.

After changing the burst tire, went to tire shop and checked the air pressure. It was a whopping 61 psi.

Normal is 30.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 10:58   #219
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Apparently, anticipating long wait times at the yard, the dealer personnel pump in air in the tyres to a count of ~60 instead of the normal 30/32...and this is normal practise at all dealer yards, it seems..... And in this particular case they had done the same thing, but forgotten to deflate it to normal tyre pressure before delivery....
I don't think they forgot. I doubt they deflate to the correct pressure (32-33) at the time of delivery. Have observed this on my Gi10, on the day of delivery because of the super bumpy ride and on a new Elite i20 a day after delivery. Both from same dealer. Both of them were ~39-40 ps.

Last edited by promit : 1st July 2015 at 11:00.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:15   #220
BHPian

Apologies for not replying to specific posts. Learning the ropes on my mobile phone.

The fact that it was ~60 was found out by the police during investigation and to be fair, the girl was a first-time car owner and could easily be forgiven if she didn't even know what a PDI is.

I still rember how ignorant and excited I was during my first car purchase.

Note from Support: Please do not type dotty posts ...like...this.... It hampers readability for our users. Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 1st July 2015 at 13:36. Reason: Note inline
HighwayBuddha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 12:55   #221
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how true it is, but there was a mention in the newspaper of the car being driven at very high speeds. Is there clarity on whether the tyre burst caused the accident or the tyre burst due to the accident ?

I remember the tyres of our A-Star having 45psi in them during delivery time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2015 at 16:20. Reason: Corrected as requested.
Old 1st July 2015, 13:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMO, it is responsibility of both the owner and manufacturer to keep the recommended pressures during delivery and post servicing. It can't be a single handed blame game.
I disagree on this. Customer is paying his hard earned money to buy a car in road usable condition but not a car with over inflated tyres waiting in the stockyard. Its up to the dealership to deflate the tyres before delivering.

We bhp-ians have PDI checklist etc but for a common man expectation is to take a picture with the decorated car and start driving happily.Why worry about tyre pressure which dealership/manufacturer kept for stock keeping purpose. Especially first time car buyers might not be aware of tyre pressure to maintain, filling up windshield liquid, idling the turbo before switching off the engine or even for that matter checking various fluid levels, warning lights in car. Its up to dealership to educate car buyer on below aspects. Yes, owners manual has those details but how many really go through that in details?

When I bought Figo dealership had not given any hint of over inflated tyres. They were busy cleaning, decorating the car, taking photos etc. I felt bouncy sitting in the car but since it was new car I thought may be I should get used to suspension of the car. But only when others in car complained that my car bounces a lot compared to other car at home I suspected tyre pressure. And they were right, the figo had 40 PSI in all tyres.

Last edited by recshenoy : 1st July 2015 at 13:34.
Old 1st July 2015, 13:31   #223
BHPian

Are our cars essentially bad at such situations? Is it the high Center of gravity?

This case of 60psi is just one such scenarios of a tyre burst. Tyre burst is not so uncommon. And not sure how many fatalities it has caused.

Our friend was involved in a similar situation. The swift they were in, was travelling at 130, and the tyres burst. The Lady was 7 months pregnant. The Kid and the mother had an escape, but with major fractures for the mother, which involved a lot of reconstruction surgeries.

I feel, many of our cars cannot take a simple tyre burst.

- One, they have large ground clearance, which is inevitable for our road conditions.
- Then, we have really bad profile tyres. 165-80 for most of our cars. Can a better profile tyre simply lower the risk of a roll in cases of tyre burst.
- Then there the these cars which are simply growing taller by every day. Quanto, Ritz, Wagon R. Are these cars ever roll tested?
- Are we all equipped as drivers to steer your way out of a tyre burst. Im sure, 99% of us have never experienced one, and most of us don't know how to handle one.
- Do we now need 6 airbags as standard?
Old 1st July 2015, 13:38   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
- Are we all equipped as drivers to steer your way out of a tyre burst. Im sure, 99% of us have never experienced one, and most of us don't know how to handle one.
Here, this will help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...t-blowout.html
Old 1st July 2015, 14:01   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

I think overinfalting tyres of new cars is a standard procedure from the factory to prevent tyre deformation due to the car staying stationary for extended periods of time. I doubt if dealers are diligent enough to check and overinflate each and every tyre of every car they receive.

The reason why tyres are over inflated is to avoid flexing of the sidewall along the area which is in contact with the ground. New cars stay stationary for long periods and tyre sidewalls staying flexed in the same portion for a long time is not good for the tyre.

Ideally dealers should deflate them to recommended pressure before delivery, but then we don't live in an ideal world.

Coming to the accident, I don't think that overinflation caused the tyre burst more than the deteriorated condition of the tyre. Some cars remain in dealer stock yards exposed to harsh sunlight over months together. Yes tyres are always running on the road and exposed to sunlight and heat from friction etc.. . But when they are running this exposure is even. That's not the case when they are stationary in the same position over long periods. Even when storing tyres it is recommended to store in 'in cool, dark conditions'. What happens to these tyres mounted on cars stocked in open yards???

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 1st July 2015 at 14:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks