Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2013, 12:05   #61
BHPian

Re: Does Red Bull / Any Energy Drink reduce driving fatigue?

This one time I was feeling groggy but had to continue for another three hours. Had tea. Had cola. Nothing worked. Luckily found a red bull and a few minutes after having it, I actually felt the difference. I was fresher, mind was sharper, it cheered me up and I actually enjoyed the drive! It took me into the 'zone'.
Old 12th January 2013, 13:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
This one time I was feeling groggy but had to continue for another three hours. Had tea. Had cola. Nothing worked. Luckily found a red bull and a few minutes after having it, I actually felt the difference. I was fresher, mind was sharper, it cheered me up and I actually enjoyed the drive! It took me into the 'zone'.
I'm guessing you reached your destination while in that 'zone'. Have you ever experienced what happens when that 'zone' effect wears out? I wouldn't advise you to try that.
Old 12th January 2013, 14:48   #63
Team-BHP Support

I never tried Red Bull while driving, but during one of our trip last year to Kollur, my BIL was depending heavily on Red Bull to keep him awake. Even with that, my dad and sister (who were the co-passengers in his car) mentioned that he was quite wayward in his driving. I normally try to take a break every 2-3 hours (for 10-15 mins), and so far never had the problem of dozing off.
Old 12th January 2013, 20:30   #64
BHPian

RedBull (or similar drinks) have not helped me at all in any of my long drives. And I drive a lot at odd hours.

What has worked for me:

1) Start fresh:
Plan in advance if possible and make sure the body is sufficiently rested.
2) Plan well: I try to choose a route/ time-of-the-day where the traffic is expected to be slack. I prefer a longer route than a shorter congested one.
3) Maintain a steady speed: Constant speed (unless unavoidable) does help towards reducing the fatigue.
4) Rest: A short 10-15 minute nap works wonders.
5) Alternative: If possible have another driver along with. Its so easy to recharge your batteries and at the same time save on the total journey time.
6) Coffee/ tea: Take a short break and have a sip. Again the keyword here I guess is "break". I have never felt comfortable sipping a cuppa while driving. Its definitely not a good idea to have a hand engaged otherwise while driving at speeds (canadian highway speeds are ~100km/hr)
Old 12th January 2013, 21:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I'm guessing you reached your destination while in that 'zone'. Have you ever experienced what happens when that 'zone' effect wears out? I wouldn't advise you to try that.
I am planning an early morning drive towards Ooty next Saturday. I know I'll fell sleepy while starting and was thinking of taking a red bull to get the sleepy feeling off my eyes. I don't have any idea about wear-out effects of red-bull (didn't have any red-bull so far in my life); can you please share.
Old 13th January 2013, 00:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

I am planning an early morning drive towards Ooty next Saturday. I know I'll fell sleepy while starting and was thinking of taking a red bull to get the sleepy feeling off my eyes. I don't have any idea about wear-out effects of red-bull (didn't have any red-bull so far in my life); can you please share.
It's called a crash. Sugar high, then sugar crash. Caffeine high and caffeine crash. This one has both.

I was once competing with a Dane while he drank 6 cups of dark coffee and I had my limit reached at 4 during one working day. I wasn't able to sleep for two days and thankfully on Saturday I had a terrible crash, you get jitters and your nervous system tries to compensate for the overcompensation you extracted from the sleep cycle. It's diuretic effect has its own demerits.

Also to be noted, for those who have built caffeine resistance will have sleeping effect with less caffeine than required by body to reach wired stage. I speak from my own experience. Thankfully I have detoxed my body and returned from ill health.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 17:45   #67
BHPian

Have never tried red-bull while driving, but following things have helped me on quite many occasions:

* Sleep well the night before.
* Have a chatty, talkitive co-passenger. works wonders!
* Keep the windows rolled up and the blower in fresh-air mode.
* Stop-over once a while for tea/coffee.
* If your co-passenger(s) drive; change hands in between.
* If tired; or after a meal; pop in a chewing-gum.
* Finally; confidence is good; but not over-confidence. If tired; take a short nap. That will keep you fresh for a couple of hrs.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Many of my long drives (500+ kms) were solo, so no one for a chat.

Schedule start time in order to reach destination before 6am (feels most tired between 6 to 8am)

Any thriller movie played on DVD and listen to the tracks (works well with movies watched earlier)

Maintain safe and fast speeds to be alert than lazy slow drives.

No breaks usually

Power naps, if required.

Last edited by coolclouds : 14th January 2013 at 18:05.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 13:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
2) Nice Hot Shower before the Journey.

6) I also found Lemon drinks like Minute maid and Nimbooz instantly freshens you up during Night drives

8) Most important, I dont fight my body.When I get the first sign of tiredness, I take a power nap at the next safe place I find.
I agree with Hot shower, I do it before every long (Anything more than 4 hours is long for me when with family ) journey.

And it really works, keeps me fresh, the body is away from all day dirt and sweat and at least for first 3 hours u r at ease.

I am planning Goa on 17th Night after a whole day in office, but have friends as a company so will start at 11 - 11.30 PM and plan to reach in morning. Will be trying many of the given points, as mostly I have to drive alone (Mine is new diesel Linea and rest all used to Hinda City -- petrol), so they are not willing to drive, but will surely do if I feel tired.

Am keeping ample water as it will keep my body at ease & lot of water consumption will make me take a break after every 2 hours at least where water out & smoke in will charge me again.
(Its my habit to smoke, but I never do it while driving on long tours, as it eases the life too much and then after every hour or so u feel like you should have another one, and then u end up smoking too many of them)
Old 16th January 2013, 15:15   #70
BHPian

If drive you must, nothing like a short nap like everybody else has mentioned. If you cannot afford a nap, why not something healthy like Ginseng Tea or banana smoothie with a dash of orange. Spirulina juice/tablets also do wonders to the energy levels. Needless to mention, the best idea would be to stay off the road. Drive safe.
Old 7th March 2013, 17:47   #71
BHPian

I don't know anything about red bull since i have never drunk one! But one thing i can recommend is lemon juice. It does the job for me and also, gives you that extra vitamin-C to keep you from getting minor illnesses and freshens you up too.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:14   #72
BHPian

I've driven quite extensively ever since I started, and a lot of it has been during the late/early hours. Experience has taught me that Red Bull is quite helpful in your case, but i suggest you only take that option when all else fails since as has been said earlier, it's long term effects seem to catch up.
But here are other options that work quite well for me:
  • Apples (preferably chilled fuji apples)
  • Oranges
  • Espresso (Pure black, no sugar)
  • Strong menthol gum (wrigleys 5 cobalt or mentos 3d if you can find either)
Old 7th March 2013, 20:46   #73
BHPian

wow!!! lot of tips to keep one fresh during long drives.
I always carry atleast a couple of red bull cans during my long drives.
I will make sure that i will use it only for emergency, but i have to say that its pretty effective.
side effects?? May be i did not notice any..
Once i was driving from masinagudi to chennai taking the longest possible route(my mistake)
By the time i reached salem,it was 7PM and i was tired to the core driving through all rural and ghat roads.
There comes the daunting task of driving another 400 odd kms and that too in the night with my wife and 2yr old kid.
Red bull and few chocolates bars took me home...
If you ask me,it does really help but try to avoid if possible.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Coffee with glucose instead of sugar and chewing gum will go a long way in keeping you alert
Old 7th March 2013, 21:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
side effects?? May be i did not notice any..
There is a huge media and activist outcry in the US against energy drinks. Monster brand energy drink (I believe) has been found as the cause of a couple of deaths. Chicago city is considering banning the sales of all types energy drinks Energy Drink Sale ban mulled in Chicago.
The whole idea has been triggered by the death of a teenager after consuming 2 Monster energy drink cans - Teen dies of Caffeine toxicity.

So while you don't have any visible/noticeable side effects, I would definitely recommend that you consume these in very high moderation.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 7th March 2013 at 21:13. Reason: fixing formatting issue
Closed Thread

Most Viewed