Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 20:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does Red Bull / Any Energy Drink reduce driving fatigue?

Hey guys!

Just wanna know if Red Bull really helps in reducing your driving fatigue.

My recent change in schedule demands that I do frequent highway drives in the wee hours of morning in one of the most treacherous roads in India.

Sometimes I really feel completely drained out despite sipping a Hot cuppa coffee just before setting out on the drive. Am always left wanting for another cuppa coffee during the driving which is completely out of reach. The flask idea doesn't work well for me. Red Bull seems to be the only solution!

Does Red Bull / Any Energy Drink reduce driving fatigue?-red_bull_can_3d_by_marmar.jpg

Can Red Bull help me get over this fatigue? If so can it be consumed on a regular basis? What could be the possible side effects in the long run? Can I store a crate of bull in my car and sip it whenever I want?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th January 2013 at 21:01.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Does Red Bull / Any Energy Drink reduce driving fatigue?

Red Bull or any such energy drink is not recommended for prolonged regular use:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2009529.html

The best cure for fatigue is to stop and rest.

If that is not an option, consider other more healthy sources of sugar and caffeine.

I have found eating an apple or some other fruit quite refreshing. Or just chew down a granola bar from Nature Valley. Or even a snickers bar.
Old 4th January 2013, 20:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

If possible, get a travel coffee mug. It lasts about half an hour for my sip-while-drive. Worked well for the three hour commute 5.30-8.30 every weekend when I was going to Purdue.

But I rarely took coffee/tea outside that window so that may have had a stronger effect on me.

Another thing I have found is a difference of just 30 minutes in waking up can make a lot of difference in energy level throughout the day. Find your sweet spot and try to stick to it.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 4th January 2013 at 21:00.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 21:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Red Bull or any such energy drink is not recommended for prolonged regular use:
+1. Prolonged use of any form of such energy drinks is harmful. AFAIK, Redbull is currently investigated by Canada's health department for harmful impact of it.
Old 4th January 2013, 21:05   #5
BHPian

amitoj is perfectly right!
During exams when i have to stay up late earlier i used to rely on Red-Bull (usually 1 can or 2 when there is more stress). But i came across a similar article which stated the side-effects of such energy drinks.
During my last exams I rather had snickers, a lot of water and just to substitute Red-Bull i had Glucon-D!
And trust me it worked ! After all what the body needs while such moments of high concentration and performance is Glucose!
Before venturing out just munch on an apple and empty some Glucon-D in a bottle of water and keep sipping on it! Do give it a try ! Also it will be much lighter on the pocket!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 21:12   #6
BHPian

Its like a typical 1.3 DDIS torque curve, you will be up n bright for some time, and then the fatigue cliff comes in very fast.

Last edited by latentpotential : 4th January 2013 at 21:15.
latentpotential is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 22:20   #7
BHPian

It does get the sleep out of my eyes when I'm doing 15-18 hour drives non-stop, but I don't have it any other time. I use it only when absolutely needed since it does increase acidity levels in your body and I'm sure there are other ill-effects if it's used for a prolonged period.

Personally, I do carry 2-4 cans on my long haul trips but I wouldn't recommend frequent use. I also believe it may lose its charm if I have it more often which will then kill the whole purpose of having it.

Amol
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 22:29   #8
BHPian

Red Bull only gives temporary caffeine kick for few minutes and it is hazardous to health on a long run. How about taking a break for every 2 hours or so, a nap at petrol pumps or fruits with liquids like water or fresh juice.
Old 4th January 2013, 22:42   #9
BHPian

I normally carry a can of Redbull on my long drives. And if I feel that I might feel sleepy, I take a few sips in between. Most on drives which stretch into late nights.
Otherwise no redbull.

The only other way for me to keep sleep away is to take a short nap
Old 4th January 2013, 23:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

On long drives when I feel sleepy, I pull over and take a nap, even under the harsh sun. A 10 minutes sleep works wonders, better than red bull and no side effects. I keep the car off and AC off, with the window glass down by an inch.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

A double shot of espresso works best for me. Have never relied on Redbull.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 23:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On long drives when I feel sleepy, I pull over and take a nap, even under the harsh sun. A 10 minutes sleep works wonders, better than red bull and no side effects. I keep the car off and AC off, with the window glass down by an inch.

Second that. Even last week when i came back from tirupathi, we all took a 30 minute nap after Tada. totally worth it to resume journey. Only thing i would recommend is a good place to rest. Not somewhere in the middle of a forest. I pick usually toll booths or restaurants or even coffee day very rarely.

Redbull gives you the placebo effect. Sleep gives you the best rest.
Old 4th January 2013, 23:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I third that. On my recent trip from Goa to Hyd, we almost decided to stopover. But after a 15min lie down (not even nap), I felt refreshed and I drove all the way to Hyd the same night.

Also, if you really have to down a fizzy drink I'd recommend nothing more than soda pop. 30 rupees gets you a lot of sugar into your body, enough to get you going for a couple of hours. Red Bull tastes and looks like pee. It's such a ripoff!

Nothing beats rest, though.

Last edited by hellmet : 4th January 2013 at 23:35.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 23:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
. Red Bull tastes and looks like pee. It's such a ripoff!
I won't know what pee tastes like, but redbull sure looks like it

All energy drinks falls in the same category, high sugar and caffeine dose, definitely not good for the body, and makes you feel worse once the effect wears off. chewing gum is a good option, but only works for a while.
vivekiny2k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 00:00   #15
BHPian

A piping hot cup of cappuccino works best for me.
I've tried red bull to stay awake, and it doesn't seem to help - might be the caffeine addiction taking its toll!
amitwiz1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks