Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Drive Safe

Old 22nd October 2018, 22:05   #316
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks Arun Rahul Rahul Sheel. Insightful. I feel my Duster at home is much relaxed downhill than the swift hatchback. Does this engine braking vary from car to car? Probably yes. Engine dependent, diesel vs petrol? Torque, power related? This will help to ensure we hire the correct vehicle to be more comfortable. I know people drive all kinds of vehicles on such terrains but just to be more sure and relaxed.
In my opinion, I feel this has to do more with the gear ratios than with the type of car, fuel type, etc..

The lower the gear ratio, the better the effect of engine breaking and lower speed down the slope.
Turrrb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 09:07   #317

Hi everyone! I hope this is the right thread for this. On our way back from Hogenakkal, I saw these new signals installed all along the way. They were very different with blue, red and white lights, all flashing. I had no clue what those were meant to convey the drivers. If anyone could shed some light on this (pun intended), it'd be amazing!

sibi6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 09:14   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi6613 View Post
Hi everyone! I hope this is the right thread for this. On our way back from Hogenakkal, I saw these new signals installed all along the way. They were very different with blue, red and white lights, all flashing. I had no clue what those were meant to convey the drivers. If anyone could shed some light on this (pun intended), it'd be amazing!
These are placed just before barricades or intersections where other roads merge onto the highway, so that you see the lights from afar and slow down instead of crashing into the barricade, or into some car merging into the highway.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 11:43   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
These are placed just before barricades or intersections where other roads merge onto the highway, so that you see the lights from afar and slow down instead of crashing into the barricade, or into some car merging into the highway.
Oh! Thanks!

But I have noticed that they're not the same at every intersection. Sometimes its lesser of those flashy lights and sometimes more.
sibi6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 18:29   #320
BHPian

The barricades placed at the intersections on highways have apparently reduced the number of accidents at these intersections. I have seen many of them battered and bruised though!
Here is one such barricade that made a trucker struggle. Thankfully they are mobile and a traffic cop just pushed it away.

What are your thoughts on these barricades on the highways. They are frustrating and cause traffic jams on some busy highways, but when you're entering the highway, it certainly makes it easier and safer.
BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 15:18   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
What are your thoughts on these barricades on the highways. They are frustrating and cause traffic jams on some busy highways, but when you're entering the highway, it certainly makes it easier and safer.
I find them useful as long as they are painted with proper reflective paint.

Unfortunately they are sometimes backed with ad hoc barriers like steel drums filled with rocks. And quite often they lack reflective paint so that they aren't visible all that far away at night. I missed one such barrier by a whisker when doing some early morning driving a few months back.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 21:35   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I find them useful as long as they are painted with proper reflective paint.
People say they have decreased accidents at these junctions, so they must be worth it.
Of course, there are some impatient drivers who see cars slow at these junctions and attempt some rash overtaking! These incidents have happened on the odd occasion and I always check my rearview mirror when I slow down

BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 01:58   #323

An update to my thread #288 on page 20 (Hill Driving Techniques & Roads in Uttarakhand)

The All-Weather Road Project (Char Dham Mahamarg) in Uttarakhand has seen insurmountable delays, mostly due to the National Green Tribunal stepping in to avoid environmental degradation to the forests. What's interesting is that the Indian Railways have completed the survey phase for laying tracks and are in plans to also connect Rishikesh-Karnprayag and finally into a completely new route to atleast two of the four holy pilgrimage routes. Both these roads and railways projects are being made with latest know how and implementation of best practices, some being so novel as to cause delays with contractors and work-staff who are used to scrape off mountains with a lone JCB earthmover.

As a consequence, the current status of roads in the upper hill regions in Uttarakhand are a complete mess of dust debris and loose pointed shards of rocks and rubble, some stretches capable of raising dust clouds for miles. This makes the drive extremely unpleasant, yet the faith of the Pilgrims somehow keeps the spirit up and lets them complete their trip.

Safety wise, it would be a disaster to drive upto any of the four chota char dhams, namely Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath in the following monsoon months of July-October of 2019. Avoid your trips for pilgrimage or nature tours altogether until atleast 90% of work is proven completed.

Keep your trips short, with ample time to return back. I would suggest you add atleast 2 spare days to any trip beyond Chakrata, Dharasu, Joshimath and beyond Agastmuni (each takes you to one pilgrimage site).

On a positive note, till the All Weather Road Project sees light of the day in Uttarakhand (my guess is beyond year 2023 as per technical reports and project progress), until then we shall reward ourselves with the magical Almora, Pithoragarh and Munsiyari routes. They are well maintained and in top notch condition (single lane only).

I hope we can cross into Nepal some day since the route is well defined and is much better alternative to those who do cross-country drives to Europe. It does need more than permits to dare this, and I guess tour guides can provide us a list of hurdles in bureaucratic mechanism to start expeditions into Nepal.

So, Almora region should be the de-facto alternative destination until the four-laning work continues. And there are ways to go past Almora and explore the region without taking Nainital route, which has it's own parking woes and diversions. Khatima-Pithoragarh is one such scenic drive.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th June 2019 at 04:54. Reason: Corrected formatting.
h3mnzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 17:11   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
They are frustrating and cause traffic jams on some busy highways, but when you're entering the highway, it certainly makes it easier and safer.
In theory they are useful. It is placed in most intersection in divided highways in TN. However in practice they seem to do more harm than good. If you have driven in the divided highways in TN at the end of a long weekend or a holiday season you will see how messy it becomes at these dividers with all the morons crowding at the narrow mouth making life difficult for everyone. Then there are these dimwits who just think its cool to cut you and enter the divider mouth and zigzag his way through. Finally they are a huge hazard when placed at a blind turn. They just pop at you out of nowhere. Same is the case with toppled dividers. The last 2 points when it happens in the nigh poses a much higher risk to the road user. These dividers should be placed with adequate warning signs and should be patrolled else to really make them useful. While the warning signals (as seen in a video a few posts up) are there in the Hosur - Salem stretch, it needs to be the norm everywhere.
SR-71 is online now   Reply With Quote