Team-BHP - Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/131014-safe-driving-indian-highways-ghats-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkpiyengar (Post 3011007)
One of the most irritating or troublesome aspect of driving at night is continuous High-beam from on coming traffic.

How to get around this or whatz the solution ? I get blinded and not amount of signalling works for them.

On coming vehicle in your road/lane? Bye-pass it. How? Look straight ahead and not at the lights of the oncoming traffic. You will get blinded & will miss a hazard.

The best practice is to look at the painted left marker to indicate the lane to your left. If the surface isn't painted, the area where the tarmac gives away to grass/land is visible. You may look at that & with your peripheral vision keep looking ahead for hazard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anujmishra (Post 3010656)
I think one very important point GTO forgot in his first few posts of this thread:

=> Do not mix Drink and Drive, even for casual reason during drive. Many of the highways have bar in restaurant and I feel pity many drivers have them there.

I think this is at Team BHP by default & thought most always knew this, I believe this is why GTO might not have mentioned & I too didn't miss the absence (of mention of no alcohol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 3009970)
3. Be very courteous to locals. I went through 10 feet wide village roads in UP and MP, people were helpful when I asked them for directions or asked someone to move a bike/cycle that was parked blocking the road. At the same time, assess the environment before stopping somewhere.

Smiling while asking them to do so works & thanking them after taking help...? They will always turn, smile back & wave you ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3010032)
I have been trying to achieve that in the last few trips by setting my headlights to Position #1 (highest level) and driving on low beam regularly, maintaining speeds of 80-90 km/h. . It really isn't a difficult thing to do, unless one wants to go really fast (but then, night drives and very high speeds are best not mixed).

Dada once, a huge trailer was passing me (from the opposite direction) & I had switched to low-beam. Once the driver cabin passed me & I flicked to high beam, to my horror I saw a tractor & a trolley parked bang in the mid of the road. I wasn't speeding, but was doing 80 odd. I keep switching between high-low beam (w/o [trying] to irritate on coming traffic) to spot hazard/irregularities.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

Have had instances of being the sweeper Car recently in thick fog. The absolute nincompoops behind couldn't see & drive ahead (despite me waving them) & had high-beam on. And the convoy was a good 10 Car strong. And to add to my misery, Pajero didn't have day/night IRVM or maybe I didn't know how to activate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3011744)
...a huge trailer was passing me...I flicked to high beam, to my horror I saw a tractor & a trolley parked bang in the mid of the road.
I keep switching between high-low beam (w/o [trying] to irritate on coming traffic) to spot hazard/irregularities.

Just to clarify, Sheel, I personally do the same, especially on undivided roads - turn on high beams to check the road ahead for unlit trucks/tractors/trolleys/idiots/buffaloes/broken roads/no roads... But then, in front of the computer (but definitely not at the wheel), I am allowed to dream, am I not? :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3010032)
...low beam is often adequate in a majority of situations. I dream of the day when the use of low beams is a habit with most drivers in this country...

Just one question - while most of it is good useful stuff (excl a couple of things I personally disagree with), how much of this can anyone practically remember?

How about a 5 commandments version of the same?

Remember even God inscribed only ten commandments for all of mankind, no? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3011834)
Just one question - while most of it is good useful stuff (excl a couple of things I personally disagree with), how much of this can anyone practically remember?

Remember even God inscribed only ten commandments for all of mankind, no? :D

Just 5 commandments will not be enough. Better to take print outs, read before a long drive and hope for the best.

It for individuals to make their own compressed list to suit their requirements.

How about your 10 Commandments?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3011834)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanduchitnis (Post 3011872)
..How about your 10 Commandments?

Amen! :D

Let me take a shot at it:
1. Take good care of your car and yourself, so that you and the car are in top-shape for the drive.

2. Know and stay well within your limits and your car's limits. Prefarably leave a margin for error.

3. Know and follow all traffic rules, especially speed-limits and no-overtaking signs.

4. Know what is happening all around you by continuos scanning. Be aware of the worst case scenario in every moment of driving and be ready to react to those.

5. Be considerate to others on the road. Stay alert but calm.

PS: The problem with the "5 commandments" version is that it becomes a bit too generic and misses the finer specifics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3011567)
I am not sure how effective polarized glasses are though - it would be nice if you could post a feedback here, and also inform whether prescription polarized lenses are available or not, and from which company.

With respect to Polarised glasses they highly minimize the effect of light scattering. If you have used anti-glare coating in your prescription glasses, then Polarized takes one step further.

How it helps is that, with the glasses and flash of high-beam you can see through the on-coming traffic so as to pass them safely. The intensity of the on coming High-beam which blinds you is reduced to a very bright spot which helps you to work around and see beyond the source of light.

Polaroid is a very famous brand which is synonymous with Polarized glasses. However, recently even Rayban has Polarized lenses in their collection.

Cheers
MKP

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3011567)
It isn't very difficult to get used to the suggestion - try it a few times consciously, and then you'll be able to do it without thinking. I am not sure how effective polarized glasses are though - it would be nice if you could post a feedback here, and also inform whether prescription polarized lenses are available or not, and from which company.

I use polarized perscription sunglasses while day driving. They help a lot under the harsh sun and I have seen reduced fatigue esp when the road is shimmering. Also find them very useful driving in the mountains when often sun just comes in front of you as you take a turn.
Another useful effect is that snow glare is cut so no eye fatigue

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3011938)
I use polarized perscription sunglasses...

Yes - this one I am aware of - the lenses are tinted too. If one were to look for clear ploarized prescription glasses, where does one find them, i.e. which manufacturer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3011942)
Yes - this one I am aware of - the lenses are tinted too. If one were to look for clear ploarized prescription glasses, where does one find them, i.e. which manufacturer?

Clear polarized? That does not exist. Even high quality polarizers for camera rob around 1-2 stops of light depending upon viewing angle. So you can get very lightly tinted stuff, but zero-tint, not possible. There will be light loss

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3011947)
Clear polarized? That does not exist. Even high quality polarizers for camera rob around 1-2 stops of light depending upon viewing angle. So you can get very lightly tinted stuff, but zero-tint, not possible. There will be light loss

More about polarized lenses... suddenly needed to know more about these! :D

http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-night-driving

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...larized-Lenses

So the consensus among the people who work with/manufacture such lenses is that the use of any polarized lens is to be strictly avoided for night driving.

I guess I don't need to hunt for manufacturers of polarised prescription lenses in India! :p

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

@ mkpiyengar : This I think is dangerous as you can still see the blurred edge of the glass which interferes with your view. Besides, you will be hurting your neck ( I am assuming you will tilt your head to get the right viewing angle).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3012157)
More about polarized lenses... suddenly needed to know more about these! :D

http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-night-driving

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...larized-Lenses

So the consensus among the people who work with/manufacture such lenses is that the use of any polarized lens is to be strictly avoided for night driving.

I guess I don't need to hunt for manufacturers of polarised prescription lenses in India! :p

Night driving? Nope never use them for night driving. They will not help.
The light from headlights etc., is not unipolar. By using polarized coating there is no help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3008314)
Your Equation with other road users

Attachment 1035160
The "Sweeper" Car

• On an unfamiliar highway or one with dense traffic, you'll be amazed at how stress-free a "sweeper" car can make the journey. Use a lead car that’s well-driven and follow it at a safe distance. Our family calls this car the “sweeper” car as it will clear traffic for you, and also give you ample warning of unmarked speedbreakers, potholes and sharp corners that you might have otherwise been unprepared for. This relationship becomes even more beneficial at night and when visibility is poor. Of course, don’t follow a lead car blindly. If he drives off a cliff, you don’t want to follow him down. Do keep in mind that the sweeper car will be aware of you following him, and might want to swap positions after a while.

Totally second the Sweeper car philosophy - have used it on many a long drive... especially if you can latch on to a car that seems like the drivers knows the road very well, it makes life MUCH easier. BUT... always follow at a safe distance not tail-gating... and do NOT use high-beam when doing this! I have been the sweeper car on several occasions, and its not pleasant to have a high beam pointing it you for over 30 minutes!

A VERY very useful thread!!. And very apt for an automotive forum.

I 'd suggest this as a mandatory go through for every bhp'ian. I have 10+ year of driving experience (learnt driving when i was on school) and still im learning new things every time i hit highways.

Thank you very much GTO for this thread.