Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 00:46   #376

Safe Driving Tips

We need to drive safe because driving is the leading cause of fatalities, however most of the accidents are preventable.

Merely by focusing few points you can start your journey safe and sound:-

Pre Journey Startup check:-
Remember the word "POWERS"
P- Papers
O- Oil (engine oil, Gear Oil, Fuel etc).
W- Water (Coolant, wiper, etc.).
E- Electrical (Electrical system of vehicle, Horn, Light, indicator etc).
R- Rubber components (Tires, wipers, brakes etc).
S- Safety (First Aid, Fire Extinguisher, Seat belt etc).

and while driving make it a drive SMARRT :-
S- Search to the horizon
M- Maintain Space and visibility
A- Always move your eyes (don't turn you head to see, just manage with the eyes as far as possible).
R- Recognize the changing environment conditions
R- Respond in a safe and time effective manner
T- Take Control

some Do's and Don'ts (for take control or be seen):-
Do's:-
1. Be intentional when you drive.
2. Ensure the Road users are aware of your intentions by :-
(i) Using Headlights.
(ii) Using horn along with a hand wave or eye contact to communicate your presence
(iii) Using turn signals. (indicators)

Don'ts:-
1. Never assume that a driver is turning just because his turn signal is flashing, loo for other signals like change of speed or lane position.
2. Never assume that the other driver has seen you or your turn signal. look for a feedback to be sure.
3. Do not proceed further if you are not sure the other road user has seen you or there is no user.
Offroadthurster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 17:03   #377
BHPian

Whenever I drive in moderate traffic on the highways (usually well outside cities), the optimum speed makes me drive similar to the other majority of those present on the road.

Usually, 60% of the cars drive erratically, and while maintaining speed, distance from others and lane regulations; it so happens that my comfort zone of speed is spiked by the other rash drivers ahead and behind me.

Usually after some high speed spurts, I notice that there's a need to correct my speed and pace of lane changes. It becomes a series of cars all moving at high speed. I assume that everyone is either a skilled driver in this row, or is atleast using seat belts for all front-seat passengers.

How to move out of that situation?

Slow driving results in more correctional maneuvers and highly defensive driving to allow 10-20 cars to pass by. With each pass, a risk is taken.

Keeping up with others, it is assumed that until the road is good, our skills can endure for another 2 kilometers or so. So the focus is completely reliant on the road condition and other variables and spotting an ocassional idiot (figuratively, not a person, but the attribute given to the state of mind of someone who creates a hinderance to the fast moving traffic).

What are your strategies to keep yourself safely driving in this scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
I am a experienced biker and done 1.2 lakhs+ kms but new to car driving.

Requesting advice regarding highway driving:
On the other hand, if I drive in fast lane, every 2 minutes or so cars doing 100+kmph honk at me to give way. I have to either move to slow lane or indicate the faster car to overtake from my left.
Same situation, but reverse. I'm new to bikes. And absolute mayhem it is to ride 2-wheelers these days!

I believe that every 4 wheeler driver should have atleast used a 2-wheeler once in life. If not, then they will be a risk to others on the road.

There are many 4-wheeler (car) drivers who have never had chance to be riders (of motorized 2-wheelers). They wouldn't have a clue what it means to have wind on your face and be exposed to elements like dust, rain, polluting smoke and wind bursts while riding.

They also have no idea how much gap, distance and leeway to give a rider of a 2-wheeler at various speeds.

Regarding your query, Arwin07:

Change lanes less often, enjoy your driving for now. Remember, your reflexes are better than the privileged others, who notice that you are maintaining the speed limits. And by this, you are not doing anything wrong. All good drivers want to overtake only from the right, unless it is impossible or unsafe.

When high-speed vehicles approach you, remember that they choose to be in a vehicle that is twice the number of tires, and many times bigger than the vehicles riding in the left lane for safety. And that should make them use their brakes more often.

Do not ever speed up for the fear of vehicles approaching from behind, keep an eye on them and notice that just before the moment they honk or flash a high-beam at you, there's also a slight moment when they minutely slow down. At that exact moment, just before they honk and flash, you need to convey your intention of not giving them way unless it is safe for all road users.

You may do this by slowing down. Yes. Not by applying brakes, but by letting go the pressure on the accelerator pedal. Just by a little margin.

And you'll be delighted at the response. You see, they do not mean to cause discomfort to themselves. Their own comfort is paramount. And you have given them a chance to relax. Let them disturb everyone by honking, flashing high beams etc. Make them believe that you are driving safe, at the speed limit.

Given a choice, these people will all say 2-wheelers are unsafe and they will never choose to even ride pillon on a 2-wheeler.

Given a choice, they will mostly chug along a little while and overtake you when safe. They will also take a breath of relief from driving fast all along.

Give them that choice. It sure passes in a fraction of a second, but you are already habituated to take split second descisions with your riding skills, is it not?

Before their patience goes haywire, pace up (which means gradually increase your speed to pass the left lane traffic) and then decide if you want to change the lane (if they are still following you and are helpless).

Don't change the lane if you have approached the speed limit by any chance. If they want to go at 140 kmph, they will find their own way to do it. Do not be an accomplice in their speeding pursuits.

I have come to know that this does not apply to following drivers:
1. Cargo Carriers and loader mini-vans, mini-trucks.

2. Distracted drivers.

3. Fully loaded vehicles with rear windshield occupied by bags, personal belongings.

4. Drivers with mobiles in hand.

For them, I sometimes use visual signals as an exception, like my palm raised towards my internal rear-view mirror (that's where their eyes are pointed) or an occasional hazard light to bring their attention to my inability to switch lanes or give them a pass. A few times, they oblige and get time to check their phones or the route and naturally slow down to do so.

Remember, by not allowing them to overtake unless safe, you are not committing a crime.

Further suggestions:

A. It will not hurt you to paste an L sign on your car if you are open to suggestions. Regular driving in different situations will make you perfect, not x number of kilometers.
I learnt driving in the hills, so even I'm not a perfect driver on straight stretches in a metropolitan city.

B. Be attentive always, always receptive to the senses of sight and sound while in a car.

C. Never play music so loud that your can not hear horns from the smallest vehicle in vicinity.

D. Always rely on your own judgement.

E. When with a front co-passenger, you can ask them to guide your when you feel necessary. But make sure they believe in defensive driving and are not merely sitting there for thrills. Rely on your own judgement, unless in an emergency. Even if, you are in an emergency, use your own judgement or designate an experienced driver to keep everyone safe.

F. At the first hint of drowsiness, always remember that you can park the car and take a nap. Even a 10 minute nap and splashing water on the face will refresh you to continue driving for another stretch. Cars are very good to sleep in, something you'll have never done on a 2-wheeler.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd March 2024 at 14:14. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 6th March 2024, 20:05   #378
1:1
BHPian

Re: Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats

The horrible status of NH48 from Virar to Talasari.

I was out for a morning drive with family Mumbai to Hotel Ahura. We are fond of the morning drive, smooth drive and Bunmaska just makes it the best combination. Till now it was once a month affair for us.

What followed was a terrifying experience to say the least. More than 70% of the 100Km road is under concretization. This patch is one of the heaviest in terms of truck traffic.

To give you a glimpse of what went through here is the ODO reading.

200 km took us 9 hours!.

Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats-img_3427.jpg

On the way realized there is traffic but not just traffic it’s a single lane left for down traffic with temporary dividers. As speed increased, I realized this isn’t safe or road worthy of driving even beyond 25kmph. I am a seasoned safe driver who rarely drives rash or speeds above 100. What scared the hell out of me were the road dividers (made from concrete square blocks and bamboo sticks). Many of these were broken and lying like broken toys on the road. By the looks of it looked like trucks would have just driven over them. And yes one of them did go under the car. I was praying and hoping none of the warning lights come up and luckily, they didn’t. Guessing the underbody cover saved the day. I am yet to take the car to the garage to check if there is any damage. We took a detour which took us additional 20km but lesser time which was through villages and road was better.

Also see how the metal rods are just left in open of the unfinished road, if anyone had to move in towards these open rods then for sure will have totally destroyed tyre.

On the way back I was thinking if we should take a long detour and take the Nashik route. Google maps showed 2.5 hours on the way back so decided to take the same route. And my god the traffic was nothing less than driving survival video game. Of the three lanes we were in the middle lane with oncoming traffic on the other two lanes. To make things even worst some of the frustrated drivers were trying to overtake. I was Scared to the core to say the least. My nephew sitting next to me giggled and said this scene reminds him of the "India is not for beginners" meme floating around.
Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats-whatsapp-image-20240302-2.48.46-pm.jpeg
Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats-whatsapp-image-20240302-2.47.03-pm.jpeg

Then came the full halted traffic at Vasai under pass. Till now the only moving traffic was the one service road and here we were stuck for good 1 hour. I walked out to check how far are we, and found traffic cops halting traffic on purpose to clear the Vasai traffic and argued that two lanes above are meant for you guys why are you here now wait for your turn. Seems some VIP movement was also happening. There were some folks who had a flight to catch and were mostly going to miss it.

While a lot is being said and done in name of road safety but no one speaks about road safety while construction is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats-whatsapp-image-20240302-2.45.42-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd March 2024 at 14:15. Reason: Typo.
1:1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 13:41   #379

My long highway journeys have been mainly on Mumbai - Goa Highway, which was 2 lane highway and currently under upgradation to 4 lanes. I follow below practices which I have cultivated over last 8 years of driving:

1. Maintain speed between range of 40-80 KMPH depending upon terrain type, flat or ghat and traffic.
2. Avoid aggressive overtaking in 2 lane sections, especially during ghat.
3. Slowing down vehicle when arriving at small/big intersection specially in remote rural areas. There is always chance that someone will show up in front of your vehicle out of nowhere.
4. Using horn when overtaking a 2-wheeler, just to make them aware they are being overtaken.
5. Though it's not part of driving directly, i try to avoid heavy lunch during long highway journeys to avoid feeling sleepy and limit myself to Dal khichadi.
Old 13th April 2024, 06:27   #380
BHPian

Mumbai has again become a kind of island, as most of the access to the "mainland" is restricted.

With the exception of the Mumbai Pune Highway, all roads leading out of Mumbai have some or the other form of construction going on, whether towards the North, South or North East...

The State government is just not bothered to address this situation, with the maximum efforts being mere band aids on gaping wounds.
Old 14th April 2024, 13:32   #381
BHPian

NH48 is quite in a rough shape. Recently went from Gurgaon to Ringus, and it was pathetic. Whole drive was just me wrestling with trucks, potholes and irresponsibly placed dividers. This coupled with 4 massive jams made the drive extremely exhausting. This road is in tatters, to the extent that it is actually dangerous to drive on this national highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks