Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2016, 11:26   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Things they don’t teach you at an Indian driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
As sawyer said: considering that the foreigner and an Indian are in opposite directions and only the Indian flashes. Foreigner would think that he is being asked to pass whereas the Indian was saying that he is not stopping
+1

Precisely why I advised my friends of the risks of following the Western implementation of the 'flash' rule here, should they ever choose to drive in India. None were so brave.
Old 26th March 2016, 11:33   #182
Senior - BHPian

Much of this would be funny were it not for the fact that the root causes of such behaviour are behind most of the approx 400 deaths by accident every day on Indian roads, the highest in the world. We have recently overtaken China, an achievement.
Old 4th April 2016, 12:25   #183

I have admitted myself in a driving school here in Dhaka. The trainer has told not to cross hands while taking sharp turn. His method is somewhat similar to push-pull method, though not exactly same. But I found myself doing hand over hand unintentionally. However I find it very difficult to properly turn car, specially on U turns. I take too much time and space when I try push-pull method.

As I talked about this matter with one of my colleagues who has been driving for more than 10 years has suggested me to use just palm while taking sharp turns and he also strongly recommended to use single hand while driving. I know it's not safe but I tried the palm method and I actually made U turns more efficiently than previous methods.

I have read in this forum and many other websites that using push-pull method is most safe. Though it does not look 'cool' but I really want to be a safe driver.

Now, should I use the palm method or should I put more effort on push-pull method. If the later is suggested than how can I improve it?
Old 4th April 2016, 16:43   #184
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion : go to YouTube and search "steering techniques" and you can get many useful tips.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 18:01   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
My suggestion : go to YouTube and search "steering techniques" and you can get many useful tips.
I have been watching hours of YT videos since last month. But as you know videos can give you the information not experience. Most of the videos I have seen have suggested push-pull method. But I can't do it smoothly as they do on those videos
Old 4th April 2016, 18:18   #186
Senior - BHPian

One small step to start with. Use your right hand for right turns and left hand for left turns. Use the other hand to support while you have to take off your hand. Always sit back as far as your feet reach to the pedals. Do not go closer to the wheel to see the front of the car. This allows you tp use your arm freely.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 12:29   #187
OSH
BHPian

I would appreciate if someone could help me with the following:

1. Double Clutching
I know that this is no more needed as all cars now come fitted with a syncromesh gearbox,but i'm just curious to know how it was performed in the older times.I would like to know the procedure and the reason behind this technique being used,I asked my father but I did not understand a single thing that he explained.

2. Left Foot Braking
AFAIK,this method is used mostly on the tracks.How is it better than using your right foot and how will one use the clutch if his left foot is used to brake ?

3. Using ORVM's and IRVM to park/reverse
My father taught me to park by turning around and looking through the rear windshield(hand behind the passenger seat method).How do we adjust the mirrors in order to park using only these mirrors ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th April 2016, 14:12   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post

1. Double Clutching
I know that this is no more needed as all cars now come fitted with a syncromesh gearbox,but i'm just curious to know how it was performed in the older times.I would like to know the procedure and the reason behind this technique being used,I asked my father but I did not understand a single thing that he explained.
From my limited knowledge, it should be shifting to neutral, letting go of the clutch and again pressing the clutch again before shifting to the next gear.

Quote:

My father taught me to park by turning around and looking through the rear windshield(hand behind the passenger seat method).How do we adjust the mirrors in order to park using only these mirrors ?
Personal habit is I move the left ORVM so that you can see the rear wheel arch and the surrounding areas. Since we park to the left of a road, this allows me to drive the rear left wheel where I want, and such that I park close to the kerb. Along with this, I scan the other mirrors repeatedly just to ensure there are no surprise elements appearing out of nowhere. Since I have electric mirrors, this is an easy habit for me. If you have manually adjustable mirrors then it will be a hassle to adjust it every time you park the car.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 14:30   #189
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Personal habit is I move the left ORVM so that you can see the rear wheel arch and the surrounding areas. Since we park to the left of a road, this allows me to drive the rear left wheel where I want, and such that I park close to the kerb. Along with this, I scan the other mirrors repeatedly just to ensure there are no surprise elements appearing out of nowhere. Since I have electric mirrors, this is an easy habit for me. If you have manually adjustable mirrors then it will be a hassle to adjust it every time you park the car.
Yes i do have electric mirrors,will try out dis adjustment soon.
So that is the reason some german cars have a feature which automatically tilts the left mirror downwards on engaging reverse.
Old 13th May 2016, 22:22   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

I just came across this thread, and I see that the first part is a complete manual on how to drive a car. That's quite an achievement! All beginner should start out reading it.

I've jumped in at this point, and I find a discussion going on about how to steer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
One small step to start with. Use your right hand for right turns and left hand for left turns. Use the other hand to support while you have to take off your hand. Always sit back as far as your feet reach to the pedals. Do not go closer to the wheel to see the front of the car. This allows you tp use your arm freely.
I disagree, and so, I'm fairly sure, would a British driving-test examiner. You use both hands to turn either way. The thing is, each hand stays on its own side of the wheel.

Sequence to turn right:
  • Keeping hold with left hand, move right hand to top of wheel, grasp it, and pull down from 12-O'clock to 6'O'clock.
  • At the same time, slide the left hand from 12 to six on its side of the wheel.
  • Both hands reach the bottom of the wheel at the same time, where
  • the left hand then grips and moves upward while the right hand now slides up, meeting the left at the top and...
well, if necessary, rinse and repeat. Reverse for left turns.

Advantages:
  • One hand is gripping the wheel at all times, and the other is ready to do so instantly. The car is absolutely under control.
  • The steering wheel is moved constantly and smoothly, with no breaks or jerks.
  • I don't know how, where needed, the wheel could be turned any faster. One moves the wheel 180 degree in a moment and 360 degree in two moments.

Not-to-do:
  • Do not move the wheel in small segments, left-right-left-right-left-right. It looks, feels and is jerky and harder work in the end.
  • There should never be any time when no hand is gripping the wheel
  • Never let the wheel spin. Control at all times.

This covers every turn sharp enough to need two hands, possibly only excluding race or off-road situations where other techniques may be essential.

While I'm posting, here is the killer hint for steering when reversing, and while, as you should be, actually looking backwards over your shoulder.

You can only hold the wheel with one hand. Before you start, make sure that the steering is dead-straight, and put your right hand on the top of the wheel. You'll find that you can always sense this position even without looking, and it is easy to know whether you are steering right, left or straight.

These are not my lessons: they are the lessons from my gurus of the ancient past, beginning with my father who let me sit on his lap and steer the car around fields in 1950-something, and the two great instructors who taught me for my two (failed first time) British driving tests, and a lady called Clare, who let me practice driving her Mini, and who taught me some of my best lessons.

Ha ha... that sounds like an Oscar acceptance speech! And do I still, decades after passing my test, still drive with both hands on the wheel? No, I don't. Far from it. But I do use the above techniques for turns because it is the easiest way to do it. Full-wheel, push-pull steering gets my vote as my best driving lesson ever!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th May 2016 at 22:28. Reason: Hope I corrected any right/left dyslexia!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 19:11   #191
BHPian

I was surprised a few months ago when an editorial appeared in TOI which ended in quoting 'does anyone in India at all know how to drive'? I just came across this thread and really wish to thank you for starting this, and all the fellow BHPians in contributing. How I wish everyone who drives in India goes through this thread.

I have a UK driving license and the grind I had to go through to get one made me wonder if even the RTO and the decorated traffic cops really know all the rules? For instance, here flashing means I want to get ahead of you, whereas in the UK this is the signal for allowing the other car to pass. Half of the people do not know what lanes are meant for, and routinely you would see 4-5 lanes being created with the tiniest available space being filled up on a 3 lane carriageway.

Then most of the drivers would encroach upon your right of way, but actually they just have never been taught that something like 'right of way' exists. I hope more and more people read this thread and Indian roads become better to drive on.
rajivrt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 23:32   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrt View Post
I was surprised a few months ago when an editorial appeared in TOI which ended in quoting 'does anyone in India at all know how to drive'? I just came across this thread and really wish to thank you for starting this, and all the fellow BHPians in contributing. How I wish everyone who drives in India goes through this thread.

I have a UK driving license and the grind I had to go through to get one made me wonder if even the RTO and the decorated traffic cops really know all the rules?
And a T-BHP member posted the experience of driver training and testing in one of the icy Scandanavian countries, and that makes the British system look like kindergarten!
Quote:
For instance, here flashing means I want to get ahead of you, whereas in the UK this is the signal for allowing the other car to pass.
Actually no.

When I last looked (it's been a while), at least, the meaning of flashing the headlamps is defined as being equivalent to using the horn: to alert others to your presence or warn of danger (from memory), not to say, "After you!" But that is traditional day to day use by British drivers, although not according to rule.
Old 4th July 2016, 10:07   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would appreciate if someone could help me with the following:

1. Double Clutching
Double clutching is used only for old cars or when your synchronizers are worn out. Rev-matching is still relevant though. If one matches revs, engine braking is more smoothly achieved without upsetting the weight balance too much. This can be done even mid-corner. The idea is to either shed speed or gain speed. Anything inbetween is considered a waste of time on track Still a very relevant technique on the road as well (it has become a natural habit for me) allows me to shift down gears faster without upsetting the car and is especially useful in RWD cars where you could spin out if you upset the weight balance harshly.

Quote:
2. Left Foot Braking
AFAIK,this method is used mostly on the tracks.How is it better than using your right foot and how will one use the clutch if his left foot is used to brake ?
The idea is that you can overlap the throttle and brakes if needed and also spend less time in reacting to braking. It helps if you enter a corner too enthusiastically and have the front washing out, to put more load and thus more traction on the front wheels allowing you to stay your line and have the revs left, for a quick exit. Helps maintain control if you encounter a sudden undulation on the road as well.

Common misunderstanding is that these techniques are only useful on the track. However, both rev-matching and left-foot braking can be applied in day to day driving to get better results. You stay more involved and also it is always a good thing to be more in control and to be able to react to emergency situations better. I use both techniques everyday. Once you learn how to do so, you will never go back since you can't give up such a huge chunk of control over the car it will leave you feeling disabled in a sense

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You can easily look back or you can use the mirrors. I look back in my WagonR because it is a narrow car and easy to turn around in the chair-like seats and also the ORVMs are not that great. In the Kizashi I reverse using the mirrors only because the offer a good range of visibility and the seats hug you a little more making it difficult to get up and turn around. I adjust the ORVMs in a way that the door handle of the driver/passenger side is visible to an extent in the bottom-left corner. From there you can adjust the mirrors lower toward the wheel arches for better judgement in traffic or while parking, or higher up for seeing objects far away during high speed highway drives.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th July 2016 at 10:10.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 23:45   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

My father used to show off clutchless driving to me. Match the revs perfectly, and you do not need to use the clutch at all!

One of my driving gurus used to tell me: always look in the direction the car is moving in. ie, don't just look in the mirror when you reverse. I respected that most of my life, but now increasing age is bringing decreasing flexibility, and sometimes I don't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 11:20   #195
BHPian

Things they don't teach you in driving school - anger management.
braindead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks