Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 13:45   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Things they don’t teach you at an Indian driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Hi SDP

Jignesh mentioned this thread on sunday during the meet and i thought i will go through it. It is really an amazing piece of work. It really would have required a lot of work and dedication to collate all these information. Hats off!
Yes, all your points are correct. The wrong light signals are a complete nuisance. Esp. the hazard light for going straight and flashing the right turn signal to allow the other car to overtake you! A lot of confusions can take place with both these methods.
I have got one nasty one for you. Once, when the M800s were becoming popular in India, and when I was too young, our driver told me that both indicators flashing means: DO NOT OVERTAKE THAT VEHICLE. Why the hell should I not overtake a vehicle? Descendants of Kings?
Another one, the same driver told me that if the car in front of you flashes his right turn signal, means its safe to overtake him: wrong, but widely aceptable, then he overtakes that car and flashes his left signal saying: IT IS FOR THANKING THAT VEHICLE

Good that he was not around for too many days with us.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2013 at 17:49. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 20:01   #122
Senior - BHPian

In the post No. 22 by SDP, it is given procedure for Paralled (Reverse) Parking.
But I am not able to understand how much distance should be kept between the left vehicle and ours while starting this parking process.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 20:10   #123
Senior - BHPian

Haven't come across something major that my instructor forgot to tell me. But let me tell you an interesting thing that he taught me. - If you are a slow driver, drive on the Left Lane.

It happened one morning that we decided to venture out for my class a little late in the traffic, so that I get accustomed with traffic sense. I started driving and once I reached the main road (with divider), I took the right (fast) lane and drove at a speed on 30kmph. My instructor told me to move to the left lane as I was blocking the traffic. I argued saying there were so many autos and buses stopping here and there on the left lane, and I should continue on the right lane. To which, he made it very clear that the right lane is for fast moving vehicles and I should not create a jam on the fast lane with my slow moving car.

I still do have huge respect for that guy. IIRC, I can't think of any "chalta hai" or "no problem" lessons that he has taught me.
For him, it was "what is wrong, is wrong".
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 21:40   #124
Senior - BHPian

In the post No.22, Mr. SDP had posted http://driving-india.blogspot.in,
I visited this link Parallel (Reverse) Parking.
But I did not understand that how much distance to be kept between the vehicle on left (and even right so that we don't have to peep out of right window too) and ours before we start Parallel (Reverse) Parking.
Old 9th July 2013, 21:57   #125
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi SDP
I couldn't find in your thread (maybe i missed) regarding the use of Hazard lights.
.... i wonder what the western driving manuals say about it or is it just a custom?
Never seen anybody misuse the hazard lights in US. The only vehicles with hazard lights ON were vehicles which have met with an accident or ones which have pulled over for some emergency.
If it is raining too heavily or visibility drops to dangerous levels, most sensible drivers just get off the road and park with hazard lights ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
In the post No. 22 by SDP, it is given procedure for Paralled (Reverse) Parking.
But I am not able to understand how much distance should be kept between the left vehicle and ours while starting this parking process.
About 2 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Haven't come across something major that my instructor forgot to tell me. ....
I still do have huge respect for that guy. IIRC, I can't think of any "chalta hai" or "no problem" lessons that he has taught me.
For him, it was "what is wrong, is wrong".
You are one lucky chap to have had such a good teacher.

Last edited by SDP : 9th July 2013 at 21:59.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 11:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Never seen anybody misuse the hazard lights in US. The only vehicles with hazard lights ON were vehicles which have met with an accident or ones which have pulled over for some emergency.
If it is raining too heavily or visibility drops to dangerous levels, most sensible drivers just get off the road and park with hazard lights ON.
my question was on flashing of head lights not on hazard. Is flashing of lights to yield way part of the driving manual or is it just a custom which is accepted
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 11:57   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
In the post No.22, Mr. SDP had posted http://driving-india.blogspot.in,
I visited this link Parallel (Reverse) Parking.
But I did not understand that how much distance to be kept between the vehicle on left (and even right so that we don't have to peep out of right window too) and ours before we start Parallel (Reverse) Parking.
try these links:
http://www.wikihow.com/Parallel-Park
http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/parallel-parking.php

Quite lucidly explained
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 12:40   #128
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
my question was on flashing of head lights not on hazard. Is flashing of lights to yield way part of the driving manual or is it just a custom which is accepted
Sorry, my mistake. Misinterpreted the question.

I did a quick check of one of the manuals and it does not mention about use of headlights to indicate any kind of intention to yield or not yield.
So looks like it is more of a custom followed in some specific regions and does change based on region.

In US, in at least the places I have seen, people do get offended if someone flashes high beam at them for whatever reason.
As you have mentioned, some folks do use highbeam-flashing to indicate that they are yielding, but its not a standard protocol/practice. I am not surprised that in India, there is a exact opposite interpretation.

Some interesting details here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 18:53   #129
BHPian

Trials and tribulations of maintaining safe distance!

Those of us who have experience of driving in India as well as abroad will acknowledge that one big problem in India is maintaining safe distance from the vehicle ahead, which is a must for road safety. The issue with maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle ahead in India is that, if you keep the safe distance, someone in his expensive sedan or SUV will come at high speed and place his vehicle between yours and the vehicle ahead! These guys hardly care about maintaining safe distance from the vehicle ahead. Abroad, any guy who hits another vehicle from behind is always the first suspect to have broken road rules. But we should anyway try to maintain safe distance from the vehicle ahead, especially at high speed. Even from behind also, if I spot a car traveling at high speed just behind me on the RVM, I slow down gradually, increasing the distance from the car ahead of mine, which gives me space to maneuver if the car ahead suddenly brakes, and the person behind me does not hit my car from behind. This way, I also irritate the guy behind me, who is typically restless, and he eventually overtakes me by giving me a stern look as if I have broken the rules . Please share your experience on maintaining safe distance on Indian roads, highways and expressways!

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th December 2013 at 05:00. Reason: Removed extra formatting, thanks
debmum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 12:13   #130
BHPian

Re: Trials and tribulations of maintaining safe distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmum View Post
one big problem in India is maintaining safe distance from the vehicle ahead, which is a must for road safety...if you keep the safe distance, someone in his expensive sedan or SUV will come at high speed and place his vehicle between yours and the vehicle ahead! Please share your experience on maintaining safe distance on Indian roads, highways and expressways!
My opinion -

Highways - Pretty easy to maintain safe distance except on toll booths. Speeds are generally high, so it is only sensible to keep a safe distance in order to compensate for the greater braking distance.

City Limits - Practically impossible to maintain a safe distance. Major reason being vehicle density, which is on the higher side when compared to highways.

Not only expensive SUVs, but 2-wheelers will dart in and out of whatever gap you try to leave between your vehicle and the car in front of you. Autos, City Buses , etc. give a damn about maintaining a safe distance.

Since the braking distance and relative speeds are quite low in bumper to bumper driving conditions, the definition of maintaining a safe distance varies from person to person.

For me, in a bumper to bumper scenario, if I am able to view the full rear bumper of the car in front of me, I am at a safe distance. I do not feel necessary to keep a distance greater than that in city limits.
Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:32   #131
Team-BHP Support

Terrific effort there, SDP!

Two things came to mind while I was reading through your posts and watching the reference videos.

One, how fortunate I've been to learn to drive from a person who patiently taught me most (if not all) of the points you've covered. Cheers to him for making me a responsible driver.

Two, I'm horrified at the kind of driving instructions being handed out by the dime-a-dozen driving schools all around us. If driving instructors spent half your effort (in creating this thread) in teaching half the stuff you've posted, our roads would be infinitely safer and enjoyable.

Kudos to you for caring enough to contribute such fantastic learning material
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:59   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Please share your experience on maintaining safe distance on Indian roads, highways and expressways!
I had seen a video somewhere which works just fine for me. You need to keep a 3-seconds gap between you and the vehicle in front. How to measure that 3 seconds ? Take a landmark coming up your way eg. milestone/lamp post/signboard pillar etc or anything such. As the vehicle ahead passes that landmark, say something that takes atleast 3-4 seconds. ( OT- I mutter "Om Sri Ganeshaya Namah") . Your car should pass that same landmark just as you finish muttering !
Have tried to explain it simply. That's the distance safe enough to be behind the leading vehicle to avoid collisions upon sudden braking.
Old 20th December 2013, 20:56   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
In US, in at least the places I have seen, people do get offended if someone flashes high beam at them for whatever reason.
As you have mentioned, some folks do use highbeam-flashing to indicate that they are yielding, but its not a standard protocol/practice. I am not surprised that in India, there is a exact opposite interpretation.
Thats true, flashing high beam is not a practice I have seen in the US, honking yes, but people are usually well behaved with headlights. I've seen it being used on rare occasions in parts of Europe but thats been mostly to signal a yield of right of way to the other car, especially on country roads with single way/lane bridges i.e. I flash high-beam to the car on opposite side for it to proceed first.

An anecdote, during a recent trip to US, we were stuck in bumper to bumper slow-moving traffic and an SUV came up behind our car. A few minutes later I got startled as it started flashing high-beam at me. There was no space to let them go ahead so I stayed put. My wife said it must be someone who learnt driving in Mumbai and I told her that not all discourteous drivers are Indian.
I had to eat my words a few minutes later as the SUV shifted lanes and went ahead and it was an Indian family inside decked in traditional attire.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 09:21   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those of us who have experience of driving in India as well as abroad will acknowledge that one big problem in India is maintaining safe distance from the vehicle ahead, which is a must for road safety. The issue with maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle ahead in India is that, if you keep the safe distance, someone in his expensive sedan or SUV will come at high speed and place his vehicle between yours and the vehicle ahead! These guys hardly care about maintaining safe distance from the vehicle ahead. Abroad, any guy who hits another vehicle from behind is always the first suspect to have broken road rules. But we should anyway try to maintain safe distance from the vehicle ahead, especially at high speed. Even from behind also, if I spot a car traveling at high speed just behind me on the RVM, I slow down gradually, increasing the distance from the car ahead of mine, which gives me space to maneuver if the car ahead suddenly brakes, and the person behind me does not hit my car from behind. This way, I also irritate the guy behind me, who is typically restless, and he eventually overtakes me by giving me a stern look as if I have broken the rules . Please share your experience on maintaining safe distance on Indian roads, highways and expressways!
On any divided road, i am sure you are aware that the inner most lane (the fast lane as we call it), is to be used purely for overtaking. I hope you are not maintaining your car there, then claiming faster vehicles who try to overtake you are rash.
Even in India, as per the laws, the guy who hits from behind is always at fault, since he should have maintained safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
And slowing down (I hope not excessively) to irritate the faster driver is a sure shot recipe for disaster or road rage. Dont try it with hot headed big SUV drivers (the ones with the political flags or them), or you may end up being side swiped!!
Old 21st December 2013, 15:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
On any divided road, i am sure you are aware that the inner most lane (the fast lane as we call it), is to be used purely for overtaking. I hope you are not maintaining your car there, then claiming faster vehicles who try to overtake you are rash.
Even in India, as per the laws, the guy who hits from behind is always at fault, since he should have maintained safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
And slowing down (I hope not excessively) to irritate the faster driver is a sure shot recipe for disaster or road rage. Dont try it with hot headed big SUV drivers (the ones with the political flags or them), or you may end up being side swiped!!
Not at all. I was talking about when there is no space to give way (you will understand it if you drive on Palm Beach Road in Navi Mumbai!). And surely I am aware of the fast lane!!!!! The problem is that if I am driving at 100+ kmph, even then it happens that some guys come dangerously close from behind. Do you know what is the legal limit of speed on these roads??? But then we Indians are a nation of law breakers, isn't it????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks