Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 10:57   #61
BHPian

Re: Things they don’t teach you at an Indian driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
LOL - the opposite happened to me 2 days ago. I had my left turn indicator on about 300m before the turn, and positioned in the left lane, with some space left from the footpath because there was a lot of sand there..
Quite amusing, Sometimes I wonder if we have indicator well before the turn they might still cut across saying " Your indicator was On For such a long time, I thought you will never turn so I cut across"

One thing I've learnt, keep on lookout for dangerous drivers and keep adequate buffer to compensate for their stupidity.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 18:05   #62
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hello Man! AND YOU WERE THINKING WHETHER IT WAS WORTHWHILE PUTTING THIS UP when the Highway Driving article came up?

Hats Off! Tried searching for BOWing smiley, its not there.
Thanks parsh! Me expressing the doubt in the other thread was a frail attempt to abandon the effort half way, once I realized that its just too much of work.

Thanks for the encouragement at that time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thank you SDP for this herculean effort. It was a long & exhaustive write-up but highly informative. This would be great help to those new to the motoring world and even some tips will be handy for experienced drivers too.

Assuming how much we, in India, need education in this aspect, those willing to learn it the 'better' way should soak up all these in their mind. Some are not that lucky and they learn it the 'tougher' way!

Thanks for posting. I am thankful that a place as teambhp exists and there are wonderful people who make it possible!

Best Regards.
Saket
Thanks Saket! Even I look forward to at least a handful of people picking up at least a few good and safe driving habits from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
One more thing I think they don't teach is to when you stop a car in traffic , not to just open the door outright ,like 90 degree. But to look back in mirror or outside window and open it slowly .
I saw one guy today he just stopped and opened the door fully .Any 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler would not had a chance if it was going beside . Luckily nothing was beside .
Very true. Thanks for sharing the picture. I tell my family members to use the left-side doors and NOT open the right side door at all when we park by the roadside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Perfect thread SDP, Thanks for such a nice and detailed informative lessons!

Just one more thing that you could've added - usage of indicators and hazard lights in rain/fog. The idea came up from a company advisory on drivng in foggy conditions:
I have seen long traffic jams in and around Northern Ireland and London and never have I heard anyone honk or try zig-zag driving cutting across and changing lanes. Rightly said, it is about proper education which begins at home. Guess you can buy certain things by money, but not everything.
Thanks Nonstop-Driver! Education (especially civic-sense) and discipline are the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Great thread!!!

Can you also include an article on how to cross a roundabout? I always see only the following rules being applied when it comes to roundabouts:

...No one understands that the vehicle which is already in the rounabout has the right of way. There is one particular roundabout on my way home which frustrates me daily by causing a deadlock. But why am I complaining, there is a (large?) category of people who also think that the red signal is a right of way
Arvind, very good observations about the roundabouts! My personal opinion is that if the RTO needs to install a signal at the roundabout, then the roundabout has lost its meaning. Should be removed and converted to a normal controlled intersection.
Roundabouts with 2 and sometimes even 3 lanes around the circle are a nightmare. e.g. King's circle and Sion circle in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Brilliant thread SDP! You have done this brilliant job of putting all the tips in order and in detail.

A huge chunk of safety tips for us all here. I am a trained instructor educating people about safe driving etiquettes, this thread has given me lot of information which I can use for my sessions and make our roads safe
Thanks a lot!
anachronix, a trained safe driving instructor wants to use this information? I am taking that as a compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
A good rule of thumb for any combination of circumstances is give way to traffic approaching toward driver side.

In California, we had to answer 50 percenth of the given questions.

Nice reminder of the look ovet shoulder rule for lane change and reversing manoeuvres.

Would that some corporate house with a sense of social responsibility sponsor a seies of tv shorts with this information.

Great job. Thanks for giving to the forum.
Proton, a car-insurance company could benefit directly from lower accidents and lower claims. How about some of them coming together and taking up this cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Thats a very informative thread and I love TeamBHP for this! GTO's informative threads on driving and now this covering all the basics.
I know that you have worked very hard on compiling this thread and I salute you for this.

The pictures and the videos are a great composition and serve the purpose to the core.

All that you have mentioned, if followed in India, no doubt that India will be a pleasure to drive. I hope that Indian driving schools not only give proper driving lessons, but also some audio visual stuff like these videos that might embed the Pictures/videos in the drivers mind. This might be of great help IMO. Some kind of version of this thread would be great!

Thanks once more SDP for this wonderful compilation. This is indeed going to be of great help to those who want to learn PROPER driving.
Thanks carzone for the kind words! They make the effort worthwhile.

How about a ponzi schme with positive intention? Each one of us teaches 2 others to drive the correct way. Each one of the 2 in turn teaches 2 more EACH and so on. That way very soon, everybody would be aware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanza View Post
Amazing post indeed.

I recently moved to India from Kenya and was struck by a little thing.

Back in Kenya, if I stop the car and give way to someone else (either car or pedestrian) to pass, they wave to me. The same is reciprocated when it I get way. Something great; makes you wanna be courteous the next time.

In India, the guy you gave way to wouldn't give a rat's *** about you.
Kwanza, after returning from a well-behaved country, its depressing to see the traffic situation and civic sense in our own country.

Its important to do our bit, without worrying too much about other's perceptions and reactions. I do give right of way often and wave off people. As you correctly pointed, most do not even notice or acknowledge it. A few notice it and appear amused or even confused. Even fewer understand it and appreciate it. Let's hope that at least a few learn from the examples that people like you and me set forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
The concept of "Right of Way" that was described on the first page, and the consequent simple rules like - Preference to vehicle on your right, Preference to Pedestrians, and Courtesy, just DO NOT work for our country.
Every time I have come back to India, after any extended stint in Europe, I have tried to practice this but within a few hours, have ended up feeling like a fool. Initially I thought that people take advantage of you (in such situations), because very few other people would reciprocate that courtesy to you. However, increasingly, I have come to realize that the real problem is not Only due to the general attitude of the people, rather, the number of them!
I have slowed down and stopped at pedestrian crossings which are not controlled by Red Lights, to allow a bunch of 15-20 people to pass safely. However, it becomes an endless river of people, who just would not give you your way. Plus, the traffic piles up behind you and are continuously honking and gesticulating. So, what do you do? You start punching a way through the crowd.
Same thing happens when giving preference to vehicles on your right!

I really don't think that the right of way concept can be extended to this country, especially in the metros and big cities. This problem needs a solution unique to India.
roy_libran, right-of-way and yielding rules are not really 'laws' even in most places in USA. If there is a stop sign or a yield sign, then of couse, one HAS to follow it. But at uncontrolled intersections without any stop/yield/give-way signs, the "right of way" provides "guidelines" about who should wait and who should proceed.

If these guidelines are followed, the traffic remains smooth. If they are not followed, there are traffic-jams and crashes. We as citizens need to collectively choose between the two and bear the consequences of our choice.

Last edited by SDP : 25th January 2013 at 18:18.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 11:00   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting thread. The only rule that struck me as strange is the requirement that you reverse by turning around rather than by looking at the mirrors. I learnt to reverse looking at the mirrors even about 20 years ago. Not sure if that was right then, but in modern cars with a optical parking sensor (such as my Superb) or parking cameras, you get a much better perspective through a combination of the mirrors and sensors / cameras than by turning around.

As some people said, some of the rules for driving in the West can kill you if you assume they apply in India. For example, in Bombay beyond 10 pm or before 8 am, having a green signal does not mean you can just go through - even on a green signal, you need to slow down, look for those who may want to jump the signal, and then go through carefully. Similarly, stopping at a red light early in the morning can be dangerous - I have been rear ended twice (once quite badly) by people who assumed that no one will stop at a red signal early in the morning, and did not slow down until it was too late. That is one habit I have given up for good. Similarly, passing a truck on the left because he gives you a right turn indicator can be dangerous - he may have given you the indicator to tell you he is moving left to let you through - so watch out for what truckers actually do instead of following the signals they give. Keeping a safe 3 second distance before the car in front of you could lead to people trying squeeze in between you and the car in front. So even if you want to follow the rules, be conscious that others will not do so.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 13:34   #64
BHPian

A well deserved 5 stars to the thread. Thanks a ton for sharing so deeply on a topic often termed as mundane in Indian terms.

It was nice to go through the rules in a nutshell and revise what is true theoretically. Unfortunately Indian driving conditions are so more diverse than the West, that it is good to know the rules, but is equally good to know the exceptions to each rule. Lane driving is beyond sanity in this country. Most of the traffic drives on the lane markings, I wonder why. (may be we should have a line marking in the center of the lanes too).

Nevertheless, a wonderful thread.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 14:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

SDP : A big salute to you for this thread, thanks buddy.

Forget comparisions between USA and India, even in Maharashtra itself drving patterns vary a lot.

I grew up in mumbai and its been 1.5 years in pune now, there is a drastic change in the way people drive here than in mumbai, especially the two-wheelers.

It was a shocker for me in initial days, now i have come to terms and accept it as way of life.

No one fears traffic cops here and people drive on wrong side in front of a cop, they break signals as well, no issues, cops dont chase here

Cops fine you if you dont wear a seatbelt, but they dont catch anyone riding without a helmet ( which most of them are anyways ).

On a positive note : People have much more patience than in mumbai and generally do not have frayed tempers.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 14:42   #66
BHPian

@SDP, indeed a very good thread, should be part of the induction process to TBHP
Rated it 5 stars

I was not very impressed by the car horn video though,it had more non sense than sense

I was told by a senior fellow that before you plan to overtake you should horn twice and give a dipper,
Also prefer decent horns, not too loud and not too merky, i believe in India "SKODA Horns" as they are known are preferably the best, have good noise travel but are not loud enough to startle anyone

Also regarding positioning of the mirrors, i saw them adjusting it to see the rear fender but i have seen it in multiple instances that people set it so that the part of door handle is visible towards the lower inside corner of the mirror

Experts can add their inputs here

And yes, though we dont favor the parking sensors and a reversing camera, for me they have been a boon
1. Multiple times i have been able to avoid dogs / kids bicycles as the sensors manage to pick them up as obstacles
2. the Night vision in camera makes parking in low light very easy
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 16:40   #67
BHPian

Dear SDP,

I must salute you for your genuine and earnest effort to educate the common people regarding driving and road safety. I honestly admit that I was not aware of many things which you mentioned.
I will definitely try to learn and implement all these measures.
Sadly, in India, the one who follows traffic rules is considered as an alien. We, as Team BHP can surely change the Indian Roads to a better and safe place for all of us. As they say, Charity begins at home.
Once again, thank you very much for your article. God bless.
Orange GTX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2013, 20:26   #68
BHPian

A very nice, well put together and important writeup. Thanks and big up to SDP. Will try to follow evertything's that's written.

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 27th January 2013 at 20:27.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 15:11   #69
BHPian

What does the following signal mean.
I was driving on expressway in the middle lane, wanting to overtake I moved to the fast lane(right most lane).

Now, there is a car before me and a Red Tavera (Travels Car) going slow ahead before him.

The car in front gives PASS signal (High-Low) to which the Tavera switched on the Right Indicator. What does that mean ?

Now, the car in front over takes him from the left and goes ahead.

Its my turn and I give the same pass signal, and this time the smart driver switched on the Hazard lights on !! (Both Indicators Blinkers).

Is he trying to say that he will stay put ??

Left me puzzled. Where do they teach these special signals ?

Someone be kind enough to throw light on these.

Cheers
MKP
Old 28th January 2013, 17:21   #70
BHPian

Hi SDP,
Excellent and Interesting Article. TBHP members should share these with friends and family and let them go thru' these once for better driving sense.

Sometimes, seeing the way people drive makes you wonder how they would have got their licenses. But then, with a "weak" system in place, I guess its easier for people to "buy" their "right to drive".

Anyhow, if right-minded individuals start implementing / following these traffic rules, maybe there could be a brighter day ahead.
SujAce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
What does the following signal mean.
I was driving on expressway in the middle lane, wanting to overtake I moved to the fast lane(right most lane).

Now, there is a car before me and a Red Tavera (Travels Car) going slow ahead before him.

The car in front gives PASS signal (High-Low) to which the Tavera switched on the Right Indicator. What does that mean ?

Now, the car in front over takes him from the left and goes ahead.

Its my turn and I give the same pass signal, and this time the smart driver switched on the Hazard lights on !! (Both Indicators Blinkers).

Cheers
MKP
This is weird practice adopted only in India i guess
When he puts on the right indicator it means the car following him may pass

But what i understand from hazard lights is that he will continue on the same lane and we have to find our way around him, well as i said, this is my interpretation
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
When he puts on the right indicator it means the car following him may pass
But on expressway when he is on right most lane, practically hogging it and refusing to budge, how can it indicate to pass ?

Yeah, I can go with your explanation in case of 2 lane carriage way with no dividers and traffic coming from opposite direction.

Cheers
MKP
Old 28th January 2013, 19:16   #73
BHPian

Thanks SDP for the informative and exhaustive list!!

My two cents:
1. Do not keep any belongings like mobile/tissue box on the dash. They may move around; especially when driving on a curve; and distract the driver.

2. Keep your mobile in vibrate mode. A sudden loud ring may distract the driver.

3. In case of a fatal crash, airbags can cause severe injury if seat-belts are not worn. ALWAYS wear seat-belts.

4. Do not keep any moving/rolling objects like ball/water-bottle in the rear-seat. It may fall and roll-over between the drivers legs.

5. Brakes may harden up on a long highway drive. If you feel such, take a short break and let the brakes cool down.

6. Learn to change the tyres/carry the manual before you head out for a long drive.

7. Remove your sunglasses before entering a tunnel.

8. Lastly, give way to idiots. If a dog bites you; you don't have to bite back

Happy Driving!
anurag.somani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:23   #74
BHPian

Thanks for the good effort in compiling all these vital information.

Some of the points are really an eye opener.

About the usage of the hazard lights, I have seen that lot of drivers are using this very liberally in the tunnels, as it is the normal and desired thing to do. It is a very scary thing ,as there are many lights in front of you, all the hazard lights, road marking lights, brake lights etc. You may think you have landed in a mysterious land, and it is quite disturbing also, if the tunnel is quite long.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 19:24   #75
BHPian

Few more important things that I'd like to add for all drivers:
1) Before starting out on a long drive, ensure that you've had a good rest. A tired body may doze off behind the wheels and result in accidents. A tired mind will also get excited very quickly, leading to rash driving and fights with other drivers.
2) Keep food-drinks away while driving and concentrate on the road. If you need to take a break, park your vehicle and then indulge yourself. While on the road, ONLY DRIVE.

If anyone else has some more additions, pls feel free to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post

Cheers
MKP
Was there another vehicle in front of him or possibly on the other side abt which he was trying to warn you? I've seen drivers using this method to warn me, when I try to overtake
SujAce is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed