Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 18:28   #106
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Things they don’t teach you at an Indian driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Great one SDP. Was this part of the core work that you have been reporting in a separate thread?
Good one!
I wish I had a automobile industry related job, where I could account for this effort under the "core work" category.

Since that was not the case, had to burn some midnight oil to do justice to this thread. No complaints though. Highly satisfying effort.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 09:52   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Right of way: "when two vehicles are approaching each other so as to involve a risk of collision, the one which has the other on its right shall give way "

Applies for ships and aircrafts as well.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 11:02   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Right of way: "when two vehicles are approaching each other so as to involve a risk of collision, the one which has the other on its right shall give way "

Applies for ships and aircrafts as well.
I guess this rule had to do with visibility at intersections and roundabouts, as the driver can see the car approaching on the right side better.

But in Indian conditions the current unofficial law states that "when two vehicles approach each other so as to involve a risk of collision, the vehicle with the larger might had the right of way"
Binzone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 11:15   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
I guess this rule had to do with visibility at intersections and roundabouts, as the driver can see the car approaching on the right side better.

But in Indian conditions the current unofficial law states that "when two vehicles approach each other so as to involve a risk of collision, the vehicle with the larger might had the right of way"
That is true, though in my case I find that most of the times the large vehicles do show some consideration but its the smaller vehicles (bikes, scooters, autos etc) who always think they have the right of way by virture of their smaller size . Most of the bikers (at lease 60% of bikers whom I have seen), leave their being safe to other vehicles which share the road with them. This astonishes me really
Old 14th February 2013, 12:31   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
That is true, though in my case I find that most of the times the large vehicles do show some consideration but its the smaller vehicles (bikes, scooters, autos etc) who always think they have the right of way by virture of their smaller size . Most of the bikers (at lease 60% of bikers whom I have seen), leave their being safe to other vehicles which share the road with them. This astonishes me really
I couldn't agree more about the bikers. It has happened with me a few times, when out of frustration I have not given way when a biker has sidled up to the left fender of my car and then tried to cut across in front of me. On more than one such occasion, the guy has come into contact with me and lost his balance.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 13:24   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post

It's true in the case of bikes. However, I think what he was referring to with 'better might' was for four wheelers. Remember how those scorpios and fortuners keep bullying you even in two lane two way highways?

No offence to the SUV owners. But I have bore the brunt driving on a puny hatch back
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 15:45   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

It's true in the case of bikes. However, I think what he was referring to with 'better might' was for four wheelers. Remember how those scorpios and fortuners keep bullying you even in two lane two way highways?

No offence to the SUV owners. But I have bore the brunt driving on a puny hatch back
You are right.
Except for private buses and some govt ones, the large transport vehicles are mostly well-behaved. Four Wheelers are most guilty of showing off their might.
Old 14th February 2013, 17:37   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The second comment, the one by Rohan Shirodkar, is beautiful. I have always wondered why we are the way we are and that comment provides a very good answer.
Just noticed, and glad that this gentleman shares my exact same thoughts posted on the "Who will tie the bell" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Nice thread.
This seems to be a common problem in must countries where people have to instinctively "fight" for resources.
This attitude becomes so ingrained in us that, even when you don't have to fight for resources, the animal instinct remains.

And of course, driving/riding a vehicle gives us a feeling of power and our survival instincts start playing out more vigorously.

I think compassion is the term. This must be taught and taught again. People who show compassion must be exemplified, instead of gunda gardi (like we see in movies). And we must be a living example for this to our kids.
Binzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 10:45   #114
BHPian

Few Parking related tips : http://goo.gl/Y6Oeb
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 01:53   #115
BANNED

1) One thing that I have seen about these driving schools is that they don't let the learner use the IRVM and ORVM. The teacher adjusts it to his view. What I feel is when someone is teaching driving let the learner do it fully rather than only learning how to operate the Accelerator, Brake and Clutch in a car.

2) Usage of handbrakes are not taught when the car has to be stopped on an incline and move forward without going back.

3) Most of them advise to drive bare foot. One thing I fail to understand. The feet will grip better when there is a footwear rather than bare foot which could slip as most of the pedals are placed high.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 11:25   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) One thing that I have seen about these driving schools is that they don't let the learner use the IRVM and ORVM. The teacher adjusts it to his view. What I feel is when someone is teaching driving let the learner do it fully rather than only learning how to operate the Accelerator, Brake and Clutch in a car.

2) Usage of handbrakes are not taught when the car has to be stopped on an incline and move forward without going back.

3) Most of them advise to drive bare foot. One thing I fail to understand. The feet will grip better when there is a footwear rather than bare foot which could slip as most of the pedals are placed high.

Cheers,
Anurag.
IRVM and ORVM are more required for the instructor than the trainee, since the trainee is busy getting their ACB right, and has no time looking at mirrors and traffic.

Handbrake deployment, instruction of usage are provided by most schools. There is procedure of parking the car on a steep incline, then starting it and driving off, without rolling behind

Barefeet driving is good, when feathering the throttle, to feel small movements of the clutch, accelerator etc, however illogical to use during every day driving. One might break a toe or nail during emergency manuvers if one is barefoot.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 19:42   #117
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Just saw a good video on courtesy:

Lot to learn!

When one does an act of kindness when driving, the feeling is just awesome. Try it!

Last edited by SDP : 10th May 2013 at 19:45.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 19:14   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hello SDP,

I bumped on this thread by chance last week & today I spared to read it entirely in one go. This thread is really informative & most of the information presented here is unknown to people in India who were never taught driving in a mannger it should have been.

Hats off to you for writing & presenting this information in detailed manner. I can only imagine the time & efforts gone behind putting this material here.

The only thing I would like to add is avoid usage of mobile phones while driving. I see many people merrily talking on their mobile phones while driving. Also at any traffic signal you will see many drivers checking for updates (mostly social networking) on their smartphones.

Further I myself being a biker, I wish such safe biking tips are also available & taught to bikers in India. Because seeing the way bikers ride on Indian roads makes me think that they are literally riding to sudden death.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 22:13   #119
BHPian

Excellent thread!!
Shared the link of this thread on the FB page of Kolkata Traffic Police.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 12:59   #120
BHPian

Hi SDP

Jignesh mentioned this thread on sunday during the meet and i thought i will go through it. It is really an amazing piece of work. It really would have required a lot of work and dedication to collate all these information. Hats off!

I couldn't find in your thread (maybe i missed) regarding the use of Hazard lights. I see a lot of people using hazard lights to indicate going straight and even more when visibility is low. It seems to be a epidemic with more and more people doing it now. Not only is it dangerous since with the hazard on you will not be able to use any indication for lane changing or turning. Hazard is supposed to be used only your vehicle is not moving and can pose a hazard to other vehicles using the road or when a vehicle is coming to a stop rapidly from high speeds (the vehicles behind may not realise the high rate of deceleration hence the use of hazards) and to be switched off immediately after the situation has passed
Another thing which i am sure all of us are aware is flashing of headlights. In most countries flashing of light is used to indicate that you are yielding the right of way in India it is exactly the opposite. i wonder what the western driving manuals say about it or is it just a custom?

Also the use of right indicators to signal the vehicle behind that they can overtake. I have become so tired of trying to second guess whether he is actually turning right or allowing me go ahead (i have had couple of nasty surprises) that i just keep the horn pressed(noise pollution yes but can't take the risk) till i cross the blindspot
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed