Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2016, 20:12   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What does 'Flashing' (passing) indicate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
In general, this difference reflects our driving attitudes and civic behaviour: ME FIRST.
I couldn't agree more. The lack of civic sense, common courtesy & politeness is a feature of driving on Indian roads. Awful.

This mornings newspaper has the story of a dentist in Delhi being attacked by a mob and killed, a case of road rage.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/four-...police-1290520
Old 25th March 2016, 20:17   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
- I use the pass switch when I want the other vehicles to stop or slow down, when I think I have the right to way(You need to be reasonable when it comes to "Right to way").
On a lighter note - In India, everyone is in a hurry and everyone has "Right to way"
Old 25th March 2016, 20:25   #168
Senior - BHPian

What we see on the roads is just a subset of how we behave everywhere. How many times have I been banged on my legs by the trolley of an Indian behind me in a check in queue...I have lost count. Just one example of our complete disregard for anyone else.

There is no hope in our lifetime. Any change can happen only if we teach the next generation to behave differently. Since I don't see that happening on a large scale, I don't see hope for a long time to come. I am often glad these days that I have more years behind me than ahead of me.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:26   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

I explained the difference to a European friend and his reply surprised me. He says our (Indian) way is much simpler: whoever flashes first demands right of way and the other simply yields. In Europe you end up with silly situations like both drivers waiting for the other to proceed thanks to this flashing business!
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:35   #170
Team-BHP Support

From what I know, a long flash is supposed to indicate me first. And a short flash means you are giving way to the other vehicle. Also at night a flash could be to signal the other vehicle to dim/lower their headlights.

But over here of course its just ME first! Be it a long flash, a single flash or frantic flashing.

What I find most ridiculous is people coming up behind you in broad daylight and flashing their lights frantically, like anyone is going to notice the headlights
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:52   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see different interpretation of the same signal. I have seen quite atrocious usage of flashing and it usually drives the nut off me, especially in the night.

A trick I have noticed and widely employed by the interstate buses - dim and get the high beam in a flash. You'll be fooled into thinking that he is polite and cares for the oncoming vehicles (all 4-6 bulbs he has are all 100W bulbs in full glory); and then immediately switches to high beam. We would have just turned on the low beam to reciprocate the politeness and even before understanding what happened, we'll be blinded and the guy crosses in comfort (of our low beams).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
In the US, UK and EU where I have driven when you flash your headlights on a 2 way street it is to let the oncoming motorist know he can pass...
You can add Middle East also to the list. I was in Oman and was surprised to see my B-I-L drive on when another guy flashed his light; and then he explained it means "I let you pass" by flashing the light. Very polite if you ask me.

India is the other way as we all concur; flashing means "I'll NOT let you pass (at any cost)!!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...When did they crash ?
One possibility is, after waiting for some time, both decide to go on at the same time.

Last edited by ampere : 29th March 2016 at 11:36. Reason: Typo Fixed
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:52   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
When did I ever say they even drove in this country??
Pls re-read .. that was just a scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
They crash when he thinks that someone flashing his lights is saying I am going to wait, you first.
.. How can they crash ? The foreign friend will be waiting for the on-coming driver to go past. The on-coming driver will not come because he thinks that R2D2's friend in that situation has demanded way, and this person will go first. Both are in a "pehle-aap" mode.

However, if an Indian who goes with the "me first" approach drives in the country where R2D2's friend is driving, the crash would have most probably happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... and the guy crosses in comfort (of our low beams).
You may also know that a good way when crossing another vehicle is to both dip your lights a little before you pass, and as you are about to pass, both switch on the high-beam ?

Last edited by condor : 25th March 2016 at 20:55.
Old 25th March 2016, 20:55   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What I find most ridiculous is people coming up behind you in broad daylight and flashing their lights frantically, like anyone is going to notice the headlights
Umm, I do this when I am approaching any car on a fast highway drive. Maybe the horn won't be much of use because of music and rolled up windows.

I don't rely on either the horn or lamps though till they actually spot my car & give me space.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:57   #174
BHPian

In India flashing your lights does stand for the right to pass. Of course the foremost usage is to signal the oncoming vehicles to lower their high beams.
Secondly it stands to signal the vehicles in front of us to give you a way to overtake them. Even signal the oncoming traffic to slow down a bit if you are in the middle of an overtaking procedure.
Sometimes I even use it during daytime to signal an oncoming vehicle if it's approaching in my lane in an overtaking. From what I have read flashing in daylight helps get the oncoming driver's attention more quickly than honking.

But since this design isn't just restricted to Indian models the most apt reason would be-
While driving during nights on unlit highways/ghats where visibility is minimum the high/low beam switch can help to quickly switch between upper and lower beams. Simply explaining one can keep the switch pulled to high beam and get maximum visibility when the road is empty and quickly shift to lower beam when an oncoming vehicle approaches. Sadly most people are lazy to keep switched to high beams all through out the drive without any concern for oncoming traffic and when enquired blame the lack of visibility.
Old 25th March 2016, 21:03   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suggest you do the same coz it was only words of advice to my friends. Don't take it too literally.

And no, they have not driven in India. Most foreigners would be terrified looking at the traffic sense.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th March 2016 at 21:05.
Old 25th March 2016, 21:36   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I explained the difference to a European friend and his reply surprised me. He says our (Indian) way is much simpler: whoever flashes first demands right of way and the other simply yields. In Europe you end up with silly situations like both drivers waiting for the other to proceed thanks to this flashing business!
In India, what if both of them flash light? . When both flash, European way is preferable.

In most cases, only one driver is in the best position to go ahead. Only when both have equal chances does the flashing light signal is beneficial. So flashing light is a very rare situation. But sometimes, driver can't decide their position correctly or want to get ahead or just want to alert the oncoming driver. Hence they flash light.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 21:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

I truly don't know the answer to this question.

The situation where I flash:

1. On undivided 2 lane state highways, I use it to indicate that I get the right of way. A flash for the oncoming traffic, a honk for the guy I plan to overtake

2. During the night in a 2 lane highway, I switch to low beam when I see an oncoming vehicle. I flash to request him to also do. It's a request that's always ignored in India.

3. On 4 lane NHs, I use it warm idiotic bikers/people who try to cross the median. And they're usually behind a bush/high fencing that I don't see them until the last minute. (At least in TN)

4. I also use it to show my dissent to autos/jeeps/trucks driving in the wrong direction in a 4 lane highway.

5. A sidenote: I've heard from some of my dad's friends that speed trap warnings are indicated when an oncoming vehicle flashes at you in South Africa.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th March 2016 at 21:42.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 00:40   #178
BHPian

So to summarize from the inputs of various members till now:

1. In US / UK / Middle east, you flash and let the oncoming vehicle to pass

2. In Europe, you flash and the oncoming driver also flashes, and both do not pass

3. In India, both the drivers flash and make a dash. And in almost all the cases both pass each other and push the other vehicles out of the road.

We humans are just too complicated.
bhandary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 01:03   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, in India this is what flashing pass lights means :

Things they don’t teach you at an Indian driving school-images.jpg

And as long as you are driving the biggest vehicle on the road, it's ok. As the size of the vehicle you drive keeps getting smaller, it's your responsibility to find inexistant space to let the big guy pass.

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th March 2016 at 01:05.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 07:56   #180
BHPian

Quote:

.. How can they crash ?

As sawyer said: considering that the foreigner and an Indian are in opposite directions and only the Indian flashes. Foreigner would think that he is being asked to pass whereas the Indian was saying that he is not stopping

Most Viewed