Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 07:44   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ideally the CO2 buildup inside cabin leading to drowsiness and other side effects theory (look at the CO2 concentration charts) should apply to regular driving inside city as well...
The difference is monotony.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 07:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The difference is monotony.
Interesting. That is very useful and actionable for me.

I would rather focus on avoiding monotony - that would be my preferred option!

In the event that India truly implements electronic tolling, and queues disappear - then yes, I would have to figure out the window opening/closing routine. For now, I'd rather not do it!
Old 28th June 2014, 12:15   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Call me old fashioned or conservative ! I never prefer to drive on the highways at night because of obvious reasons.
We tend to doze off in the wee hours of the day after 12.00 am in most cases and that is deadly. And if it is a chauffeur-driven car, we are at the mercy of someone else, who may be or may not be very good in the art.

As a result, I always try to night halt at the nearest town or city in a hotel, by dusk.Next morning, it is best to start the drive afresh.
I endorse this view one hundred percent. I never was very comfortable with all night drives, even when I was younger. For these drives you need to condition yourself both physically as well as mentally and after a couple of close shaves, I decided I was not cut out for it.

The reasoning is given succinctly below:

Quote:
That said, yours truly does drive overnight, and well over the 17-hour limit fairly often, but then, experience, knowledge of how one's body behaves through prolonged waking, and knowing what to do to prevent microsleep and loss of car control, are things that most drivers are not blessed with.
Babuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 14:26   #94
BHPian

Agreed, night driving is not everyones cup of tea and if not comfortable or not used to it, no one should try this.

Understanding your physical limitations is key, I picked up the skill thanks to 6.5yrs of night shifts at hours when even ghosts sleep.

I ain't saying that windows should be kept open, that is extremely annoying and tiring upto some extent, open it for 30-40 seconds and then roll it back up.
Old 6th July 2014, 20:42   #95
BHPian

Due to my work shift timings, driving at midnight is a daily routine. In Hyderabad, with many night shift employees, low traffic or pedestrians during the night isn't really the case.

My thoughts on safer night driving, based on own experiences.

1) Always keep a microfibre cloth handy. Specs of dust on the windshield or rear view mirrors can greatly amplify glare from headlights, both from oncoming traffic as well as from cars on high beam behind you. I make it a point to wipe my windshield before heading out in the night.

2) If your vehicle is equipped with a night mode rear view mirror, engage it. If not, I try to angle the rear view mirror a little higher, above headlight level of cars behind. This reduces glare reflected off the mirror, while maintaining visibility.

3) Constant slower speed. I try and maintain a steady 40 km/hr on night roads, increasing my distance from the car in front. Lower visibility requires more time to react if there is a pedestrian crossing or cross traffic. Also applies to speed breakers and potholes. If the road is unfamiliar, speed breakers may not be visible until the last minute, requiring heavy braking, which can be dangerous.

4) Known roads. I try to maintain the same route from office to my house. This familiarizes me with the various hazards (Speedbreakers, crossings, traffic junctions, road maintenance activities etc.) Thus I usually prepare myself subconsciously even before the hazard is approached.

5) Anti-Glare coating. I don't know how effective this is. I applied a coat of ProKlear Nano glass sealant to all the glass of my car. The main purpose is water beading during rains. However, the packaging mentions that the coating also has UV protection properties, which reduces cabin heat and glare from oncoming headlights.

Hope this helps

Regards,.
ArvindYoga
Old 5th October 2014, 16:11   #96
BHPian

Driving in the night reduces reaction time by eight times. It's best avoided unless there is an emergency.

Moreover, the number of drunk drivers on Indian roads after dark is on the increase.

In case I need to drive at night,I make it a point to observe the behavior of the vehicle ahead before I overtake.

One more thing, there seems to be trend of switching the right indicator as a signal to let the vehicle behind overtake (instead of the left one)...
Old 5th October 2014, 20:22   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
Driving in the night reduces reaction time by eight times.
8 times? What is the reaction time while driving during the day?
Quote:
...there seems to be trend of switching the right indicator as a signal to let the vehicle behind overtake (instead of the left one)...
The *you can overtake me* signal has been abolished as a part of the highway code internationally.
Old 5th October 2014, 20:58   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

ARTICLE: Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving

Quote:
The *you can overtake me* signal has been abolished as a part of the highway code internationally.

Only in India would there be a debate on the biggest car forum what the actual rule is!

By the way, I would love to hear who is responsible for international highway codes? Never knew such an Organization existed. We should contact them because they are not doing a very good job at all. Last time I checked local and national legislation was absolutely rampant when it comes to highway codes, or any road legislation as far as I can tell.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 5th October 2014 at 21:01.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 21:35   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Only in India would there be a debate on the biggest car forum what the actual rule is!
There you are: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...vertaking.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
By the way, I would love to hear who is responsible for international highway codes? Never knew such an Organization existed. We should contact them because they are not doing a very good job at all. Last time I checked local and national legislation was absolutely rampant when it comes to highway codes, or any road legislation as far as I can tell.
I thought the Highway Code was specific to the UK, and pretty much copied by other countries that follow the left hand traffic rule. Didn't know there's even any international organization to do that.
Old 5th October 2014, 21:50   #100
BHPian

Excellent topic GTO. One of the worse part of driving at night is dealing with trucks which doesn't have the tail lamps and the entire truck body is covered with black/gray colored cloth. So it becomes virtually invisible at night.
Secondly, if not on express highways, you can see bullock carts, and slow moving tractors on national highways at nights. One should be careful with these two. Specially the tractors having long trollies.
Old 5th October 2014, 23:49   #101
BHPian

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but today while taking my wagon R out of the drive way my son hit a pillar and thus thee right side tail lamp is broken. He has to take the car tomorrow to Delhi and returning in the evening (after sunset). I would not be able to get it corrected before that. Is driving with a broken glass (the bulb is fine only the outer glass is cracked) within law or can he get a ticket for it? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 6th October 2014, 00:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
8 times? What is the reaction time while driving during the day?

Reaction time is different for different indivisuals. It is a function of age, eyesight, alertness, neuro-muscular coordination and other factors.

When I said that reaction time reduces by eight times, it was based on human reaction time as found out in several tests carried out by car manufacturers, highway authorities etc.

Also, internationally many rules and regulations may be in effect, they certainly are not of much use in our country where road discipline, manners and knowledge about traffic rules is next to zero.
Old 6th October 2014, 07:10   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reaction time is different for different indivisuals. It is a function of age, eyesight, alertness, neuro-muscular coordination and other factors.

When I said that reaction time reduces by eight times, it was based on human reaction time as found out in several tests carried out by car manufacturers, highway authorities etc.
Not a wonder that we are so good at making ludicrous statements which convey no information and pretend to be based on studies and research.

Anybody with reaction time impairment that is 8x more than the normal average, is either drunk, extremely fatigued or brain impaired - and has no business being in control of a motor vehicle.
Quote:
Also, internationally many rules and regulations may be in effect, they certainly are not of much use in our country where road discipline, manners and knowledge about traffic rules is next to zero.
That's right. We are proud not to care for such mundane stuff as discipline, manners and knowledge of rules & regulations.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 08:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread for this but today while taking my wagon R out of the drive way my son hit a pillar and thus thee right side tail lamp is broken. He has to take the car tomorrow to Delhi and returning in the evening (after sunset). I would not be able to get it corrected before that. Is driving with a broken glass (the bulb is fine only the outer glass is cracked) within law or can he get a ticket for it? Thanks for the help in advance.
As long as its serving the purpose (as you have mentioned the bulb is fine, only outer glass is cracked), it should be fine.
Old 29th December 2014, 18:35   #105
BHPian

I have read many posts where people advise driving at night since it is safer. Some Travelogue and route query posts speak of starting the journey at 3:00 am and so on. But I have my concerns-
1. How do you manage adequate sleep? Even the worst night owls I know usually are in bed by 2:00 am on most nights. If you have woken up at 7:00 the previous morning you have been awake for 19 hours almost.

2. whereas there is lesser risk from truant traffic, isn't the risk of falling asleep higher? Isnt the risk of being hit by another driver asleep at the wheel higher?

3. How do you manage the glare from oncoming traffic?

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st December 2014 at 02:43. Reason: Splitting post across two threads, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks