Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 00:13   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You were both belted, right? What caused the loss of consciousness? Did you bang your heads despite the belts?
I was belted but my friend wasnt thats why he has severe injuries. The car is a write off. I banged my head on the dashboard and my eyelids and arms have cuts because of the glass pieces. I also have seatbelt marks on my chest and below my stomach. I saw the car today and both the front seats have been totally misplaced from their original position. It really feels like a miracle to be alive.

The bystanders told the police that the car must have been at around 80 km/h and went straight into the bus without any noise of braking. No wonder we both had blacked out. A group of cyclists pulled us out and called the ambulance. Thanks a lot to them whoever they were.
aparth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 00:15   #257
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Well, I learned the lesson the hard way. I was giving one of my uncle driving lesson when he oversteered and we fell off from a bridge. None of us were wearing seatbelt. I had a deep cut just below my cheek and some moderate bruises and cuts in my face. One of my finger broke in such a way that the doctors had to operate to bring the bone back to its place. All I can remember is that I hit the windshield multiple time. And then the first thing I saw is lots of blood in the dashboard. Luckily I didn't loose my consciousness. And my uncle surprisingly escaped unhurt. Not a single scratch on him. Thank god we survived that accident. From that day onwards, the first thing I do after getting in the car is belt on.
4x4power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 00:19   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Glad that you escaped with minor injuries. Seatbelts are a must, doesn't matter where you're sitting. How is your friend? The windshield has a tuft of hair from inside, looks like he banged into windshield also. Which car is this?

[/center]
He banged his head into the windshield and thats his hair. The car is a Polo.
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 00:27   #259
BHPian

I'm increasingly noticing that in the rear seat of Uber and Ola cabs, the seat belt buckles have been removed, and a person sitting in the back cannot wear a seat belt at all. This is a major safety issue, and despite bringing this issue to the notice of these companies, nothing is being done about it. Any ideas on how can this be corrected ?
msmatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 02:33   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
To add to this, also wear seatbelts when seated at the rear of a taxi, Ola, Uber or otherwise. I was seated in the back and without a seatbelt.. I'll also be honest in telling that there was no seatbelt clip in the back (because the driver had pushed it into the seat, presumably to ensure that 3 people can sit comfortably without that clip digging into their rear ends) and even if the clip was available I would not have used it that day.. I found out how essential it is when the cabbie rear ended another motorist at under 20 kmph and I fell right from my seat into the footwell in the back.
Glad you bought this point up. When getting into an Uber, I always check if the rear seatbelt buckles are out or not. If not, I make it a point to sit on the front seat and belt up. I try to explain to the driver that he should keep the rear belt buckles out but most say that rear passengers find it uncomfortable To hell with comfort. What comfort would they have if they are involved in an accident and get injured?!

On the other hand, I am really uncomfortable if anyone in my car is not belted up. I have had heated arguments with parents/friends/family to buckle up while on the rear seat, some to the point that I refused to start the car unless they abide by my rule. My stubbornness in this regard is only because I feel it may teach some of them how important seat belts are. Need to show this thread to the few who refuse to buckle up and end up not travelling with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
I'm increasingly noticing that in the rear seat of Uber and Ola cabs, the seat belt buckles have been removed, and a person sitting in the back cannot wear a seat belt at all. This is a major safety issue, and despite bringing this issue to the notice of these companies, nothing is being done about it. Any ideas on how can this be corrected ?
The only way I see is by rating the cab with the buckles tucked inside lower and giving a written feedback to Ola/Uber about it. When they notice many such complaints coming in, they may realise that this is wrong and needs to be corrected. I have tried to reason it out with the drivers but most of the time it is like punching against a wall.

Last edited by amansanc : 5th July 2017 at 02:36.
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 14:28   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
The only way I see is by rating the cab with the buckles tucked inside lower and giving a written feedback to Ola/Uber about it. When they notice many such complaints coming in, they may realise that this is wrong and needs to be corrected. I have tried to reason it out with the drivers but most of the time it is like punching against a wall.
I have been rating the cabs lower, tried all social media to reach Ola, Uber, and even traffic police, but nothing seems to work, and almost all the cabs in Blr don't have working seat-belts in the rear seat today.
msmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 10:17   #262
BHPian

Rear seat belt receptors have been tucked somewhere below the bottom seat cushion by the seat cover people in my car also.Thus the purpose is not served,as I am unable to enforce seat belt rule for rear passengers.
Whats the procedure to remove seat bottom and pullout the red receptacles.? Can it be done at home?
Thanks in advance
Old 6th July 2017, 10:44   #263
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Rear seat belt receptors have been tucked somewhere below the bottom seat cushion by the seat cover people in my car also.Thus the purpose is not served,as I am unable to enforce seat belt rule for rear passengers.
Whats the procedure to remove seat bottom and pullout the red receptacles.? Can it be done at home?
Thanks in advance

I recently had opened the rear seat of my Corolla that is when I had pulled out the receptors but while placing it back I had to take someone's help as things were getting difficult to fit it back and pull the receptors out.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 15:44   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I banged my head on the dashboard / He banged his head into the windshield and thats his hair.
Amit Jha tweeted some excellent advice (for anyone taking a severe hit to the head):

Make sure you get CT scan of your head done.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 07:10   #265
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't a seat belt cause wrinkles in your shirt?

This will spoil the pleats of my silk saree.

We never drive at more than 30km/hr in city limits.

Independence Day is approaching. You still want to shackle me?

Are you not confident of your driving skills?

This will spoil my hairstyle. Do you want me to lose all my hair?

These are some of the questions that i frequently get to hear from my acquaintances, friends, family, colleagues and even the chaps at the service centre.

Over the years I have realised that when people start dishing out these nonsensical objections, only one thing can make them reach for their seat belts and helmets; the threat of being challanned by the cops . Sadly, the fear of losing a hundred bucks is far more effective than the possibility of forsaking one's own life.

A single column report in today's TOI highlights how a lot of accidents are turning fatal due to non-use of helmets and seat belts. To quote:

Quote:
28 two wheeler users died daily on Indian roads in 2016 because of rides without helmets and another 15 after failing to fasten their seat belts, according to an analysis of data states have shared with the transport ministry... bike occupants who died in crashes not wearing helmet... total number was 10,135. 5,638 people died for not wearing seat belts in cars in 2016...
Source

Just next to the aforementioned report, (but in a more prominent manner) appears the story of a man apparently killed in a burning car because he couldn't unfasten his seat belt. It reads:
Quote:
Unable to unfasten his seatbelt, a 38-year-old man was burnt alive when the car he was driving went up in flames near Madukkarai on the outskirts of Coimbatore in the early hours of Sunday....could not unbuckle his seatbelt, died sitting in the driver's seat.
The veracity of the alleged cause of death notwithstanding, what is TOI trying to do by printing both these reports side by side? A casual reader is likely to walk away with the impression that it is unsafe to wear the seat belt.

That being said, we must realise that in addition to compelling our companions to belt up, we must also acquaint them of all possible ways of unshackling themselves in cases of emergency.
dailydriver is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 12:12   #266
BHPian

Re: Bought Maruti Baleno, but I hate it. Now what?

Note from Mod: Have duplicated this post to this thread. It was originally posted here.

Well, I bet I can be the one who can comment on the safety of the vehicle as I have witnessed it first hand.

I was involved in an accident and my speedometer was stuck at 90kmph. I had rammed into a concrete block (those yellow and black ones) used for dividing lanes. It was pitch dark, raining and the xenon lights weren’t really effective.

I know I should’ve driven safely at a safe speed and I do admit I was at fault. Plus, it wasn’t legal speed for city limits.

The damage - none to me, I just had a bruised ankle, nothing else. The airbags had deployed and the seat belt worked as a charm.

The damage to the car, irreparable. But I guess crashing at a stationary object can do equal amount of damage to any car. I would let the pictures do the talking.

What do I do next - I picked up another Baleno after a wait of almost an year. Was driving a Jazz, Linea in between but the Baleno had won my trust. Coz I knew it was me, not the machine at fault and the machine did it’s best to safeguard my life.

Yes, it’s built light, it doesn’t really inspire confidence like I used to have with the Figo and Linea but it does the duty effortlessly.

It’s purely my opinion and assessment and I do not wish to trigger a debate.

Btw, got the same colour again. White! Peace out.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-0e095eb7cf5b4d74ad2b0243f9368b7c.jpeg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-14ad2ebaf904412fbd25c9fcd7f7e286.jpeg

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2018 at 13:48. Reason: Copying post to this thread as well!
varun.ppl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 11:28   #267
BHPian

Re: Ignorance about safety features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It plays a part, and maybe a major part with some people, but I'd put I G N O R A N C E as the main cause.

Ignorance is simple not knowing; not having been taught. there is only shame in it if the information is denied. Possibly the vast majority of drivers, world-wide, have little or no idea of what happens in a car accident, and how serious things can be at what they regard as modest speeds. Even enthusiast drivers, let alone day-to-day just-get-A-to-B drivers, often do not know...
Second that wholeheartedly !

I transitioned from a bad & sh**ty driver to a better & sensible one (which I consider I am now!) over the years, with some huge risks that I undertook in those years. Used to have my toddler kid on my lap while driving (though the ORR and other roads of Bengaluru in years circa 2004 were never overcrowded and are sweet distant memories now ), never insisted backseat passengers to buckle up and so on. Thankfully I didn't have to pay the price of these follies on the road, and now I shudder while thinking about those In retrospect, I realise that these were what "taught" to me by the driving-school "master" and even my father who's a medic didn't take such things seriously.

Later when I started travelling abroad for professional purposes and drove cars in some countries, by observing drivers there and thru some mocking from my colleagues there, I realised the follies I was committing back home.

When it comes to driving, particularly on Indian roads where we've some high quantity of unruliness I learnt that an extra bit of caution is never misplaced.
KrisTvpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 11:50   #268
BHPian

It's been just over a month that I've started driving, and I ALWAYS insist that all occupants of my car must wear seatbelts. My parents protest in unison, and my father's (usually seated in the front passenger seat) logic is: "When I learnt driving we didn't have seatbelts or mirrors. They weren't necessary back then, so I don't see why they would be necessary now"

Even if he does decide to put on his seatbelt, my mother and sister seated in the rear bench absolutely refuse to put on theirs, and protest vehemently. Well, I know how to get my way. I pull over, and don't start driving until all my demands are met.

I think it's a combination of proper education/awareness and habit that will lead to occupants of a car belting up safely at the start of each and every journey. I, for example, feel uncomfortable even if I don't put my seatbelt on when I have to just switch parking spots, simply because I've religiously practised fastening my seatbelt as soon as I'm done adjusting the seat position.

Note to Mods: This is my first post, and if I've posted on the wrong thread, please shift it to the appropriate one. Thanks!

Last edited by boniver : 11th March 2019 at 12:05. Reason: Grammatical error corrected.
boniver is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:52   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
It's been just over a month that I've started driving, and I ALWAYS insist that all occupants of my car must wear seatbelts.
Appreciate your persistence to put safety as a top priority. I am sure your family will eventually understand your efforts to ensure safety of all passengers.

The newer cars and the upcoming safety norms will make it more easier for folks like us. For example the seat belt reminder system is going to irritate and force all passengers to wear seat belts. Our Ford EcoSport lets off an annoying alarm whenever the front seat passengers haven't buckled up. XUV300 does the same for both front and backseats. For those "clever" bunch who use fake tactics to circumvent the reminders, we need to continue policing though

Last edited by strawhat : 11th March 2019 at 12:53.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:02   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP posting! And thanks for a first post on an important safety issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
My parents protest in unison, and my father's (usually seated in the front passenger seat) logic is: "When I learnt driving we didn't have seatbelts or mirrors. They weren't necessary back then, so I don't see why they would be necessary now"
I don't know your age or your father's age, but a possible answer might be that they were necessary, but that that was not recognised or understood. You can even blame the manufacturers for cutting down safety features on Indian cars: that might be something your father might relate to. The rest of the world was getting safer cars, and he was being ripped off! Just an idea to "work" the psychology.

It is probable that seat belts were legally required in many other countries back when your dad started driving.

As to your backseat passengers, you could tell them that, ok they have a right to kill themselves, but not the people sitting in front of them. This is a difficult concept to grasp. If people understood a little more about what happens in an accident then all these arguments would simply not happen!

There's a British Public Information TV advert "Julie knew her killer." I don't think I understood the necessity of back-seat belts until I saw that (on the TV, way back then). You can find it on this thread, I think... or search YouTube

Keep up the good work. Drive safely and encourage others to drive safely... and to be passengers (and pedestrians!) safely!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed