Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Drive Safe

Old 11th March 2019, 13:22   #271
Tgo
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
"When I learnt driving we didn't have seatbelts or mirrors. They weren't necessary back then, so I don't see why they would be necessary now"
Send him some crash videos (NCAP) on whatsapp. One every day. Mainly the ones which focus on not using the seatbelts which emphasize on the low speeds at which those crashes are done.

I did the same to my wife and she has stopped resting her legs on the dashboard.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 18:22   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Send him some crash videos (NCAP) on whatsapp. One every day. Mainly the ones which focus on not using the seatbelts which emphasize on the low speeds at which those crashes are done. ...
For me, what worked was the descriptions of what happens in an accident, all in the first fraction of a second too. You know the sort of thing: it starts with gripping the steering wheel instinctively, which means your arms shatter as you are thrown forward... I forget the details. I guess they did what was needed for me when I read them and I don't need to run the horror movie in my head again: I would not even drive to the end of the road without a seat belt on.

For those who talk about slow speeds, or city speeds, ask them if they ever walked into a wall, or a low bar, tree branch etc. Most of have, and we know that it hurt. And that would be a mere three to four kph.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 18:26   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...For those who talk about slow speeds, or city speeds, ask them if they ever walked into a wall, or a low bar, tree branch etc. Most of have, and we know that it hurt. And that would be a mere three to four kph.
+1.

That's now my standard retort to any 'low speeds don't need safety equipment' rhetoric I hear.

Still, making someone realize their folly, difficult as it may be, is far easier than convincing them to give it up.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 23:01   #274
Senior - BHPian

Have posted my experience of a high speed accident I was in recently. It was in Sweden but nevertheless the rear seat belts saved me a lot of pain.

Details in the below linked post. Please always wear seatbelts even in the rear seat.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4576050 (Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts)

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd April 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Adding 1 image as well :)
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote