Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 17:33   #121
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post

Glad to be of some help and pl don't say thanks for such small deeds..

Wishing your relative a speedy recovery.

Dear @ Bhp'ians,
Thanks for the kind words.
God sent person you were man! Hats off to you for the in-time response and help.

It is NOT a small deed at all. It meant life for many if his family members so it is a great effort put by you to help a victim rather than just passing by the accident spot as many do here in India.

Good thinking Gannu!
Old 1st February 2015, 23:05   #122
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Hey Ganesh,

Its was a horrific scene / situation when I first visited your relative in the ICU. Such incidents force you to re-think what you are doing in a foreign land with limited support system. I in-fact wanted to be with him during discharge from hospital but came to know from his local relatives few days later that he was already discharged and went back to India.

Glad to be of some help and pl don't say thanks for such small deeds..

Wishing your relative a speedy recovery.

Dear @ Bhp'ians,
Thanks for the kind words.
Great going buddy!! And hats-off to you!
May God bless you through your life!

A person's deeds might be very small to himself - but the impact it creates might be long lasting. You have made a very big difference in somebody else' life in a very positive way thru' your "small deed".
Old 12th February 2015, 20:02   #123
BHPian

One of the best article here. The pictures in the opening posts were terrifying but at the same time were informative too. Safety belts have been around for ages but very few of us care to wear them. Even if most of us do, we do it to escape the challan by Police.

The description of how collision are experienced is exhaustive. I would like to share one of experience that one of my known encountered. The person was travelling in Wagon R and in a futile attempt to overtake had a head on collision with oil tanker. The driver died on the spot and rest of passenger survived. Reason-The people who survived were wearing seat belts.

Also someone told me that in his Toyota Etios, the airbag don't depoly themselves till the time the seatbelts are worn. Is it right? If yes, then I guess it may be true for other vehicles too.
HalfOctave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 01:40   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
One of the best article here. The pictures in the opening posts were terrifying but at the same time were informative too. Safety belts have been around for ages but very few of us care to wear them. Even if most of us do, we do it to escape the challan by Police.

The description of how collision are experienced is exhaustive. I would like to share one of experience that one of my known encountered. The person was travelling in Wagon R and in a futile attempt to overtake had a head on collision with oil tanker. The driver died on the spot and rest of passenger survived. Reason-The people who survived were wearing seat belts.

Also someone told me that in his Toyota Etios, the airbag don't depoly themselves till the time the seatbelts are worn. Is it right? If yes, then I guess it may be true for other vehicles too.

Don't know whether the airbags deploy without using the seatbelts in Etios. But without using seatbelts, the airbags may do more harm than good IMO, in any car !!

The bottom line is, ALWAYS use seatbelts! They are for your own safety.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 01:58   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
Have you noticed the embossing on the steering wheel and dashboard with SRS-Airbag.

--> Seatbelts - Primary Restraint System
--> Airbags - Supplemental Restraint System

Seatbelts will hold the passenger in place and not throw them onto the steering wheel/dashboard panel injury.

So if the seatbelts aren't worn but are travelling in a airbag equipped car, it'll be dangerous when the airbag deploys. It is just like a bomb.

I am not sure if Toyota has given an interlink between seatbelt sensor and airbag sensor but if they have then it is good. At least the manufacturer need not be blamed during a mishap.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 11:46   #126
Team-BHP Support

Interesting one this : the logic has been inverted.

Instead of playing a sound when you haven't fastened your seat-belts, this wont play any sounds
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-fhtkdga.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 11:53   #127
Team-BHP Support

That looks like the Ford's Sync display. Which car is that Rehaan?
Old 26th February 2015, 12:34   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So if the seatbelts aren't worn but are travelling in a airbag equipped car, it'll be dangerous when the airbag deploys. It is just like a bomb.
I am not sure if Toyota has given an interlink between seatbelt sensor and airbag sensor but if they have then it is good. At least the manufacturer need not be blamed during a mishap.
I don't know about the philosophy that Toyota follows, but in many other cars, the airbags can deploy at less severe impacts if the occupants are not wearing seat belts to provide extra protection. In case the occupants are belted-up, then the system may not trigger the airbags in less severe impacts. In short, the threshold point for triggering of airbags is decided by the system depending on the driver/passengers being belted up or not. This is true for dual-threshold airbags.
Old 1st March 2015, 09:53   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

One observation in our country is that adults often sit in the front passenger seat with a child in their lap. The adult may or may not be wearing a seat belt but the child sadly is not restrained. This results in the child taking the impact of a collision. Sharing with all BHPIans for our collective benefit - in 1998 one of my employees was travelling in his M800 with wife in the passenger seat and two year old son in the wife's lap. Somewhere on the Delhi- Meerut road they had a head-on collision. Both adults got injured (no seat belts - this was before seat belt rules came to India I think). But what was tragic was that the 2 year old took the brunt of the impact that saved his mother. The impact killed the child. I cannot express in words the trauma of that poor lady. Just sharing with all as this is a common practice in our country. Request all BHPians to be cautious of this practice. Repeating this post on this thread to get it across to a wider number of BHPians. Regards - Narayan

Excellent thread by Saket77 on airbags -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...need-know.html
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:54   #130
BHPian

Swine Flu deadly? Everyone is like we should wear mask, take vaccination, take precautions for our health and of close ones since over 1000 peoples have died due to this disease in India. WHEREAS

More than 135,000 traffic collision-related deaths occur in india, but we still dont care! Nor for ourselves, nor for our dear ones and nor for OTHERS!
No seat belts, No helmets, No SRS (secondary restraint system,air bags), No ABS etc!

SRC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic...sions_in_India
Ashir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 11:17   #131
BHPian

This happened when i was in college.
THE TRIP: Me and 4 of my friends planned a trip to Shringeri (Western ghats) from Mangalore, we left around 9am, had a wonderful time the whole day. Driving the ghats was something new to me (I learn driving and had driven only in Bangalore till then). We had planned to start our return journey by 5pm.
The roads were good and there was no traffic.

Picture miles & miles of this.

The accident: Everything went well till 5pm, We started on our journey back and at 5.15pm we had an Indica cab pass us at insane speed but we did not bother much.
A few Kms ahead we caught up with the same car which had stopped on the narrow ghat road just below a sharp hair pin bend and almost rear ended it. Manager to swerve on time. After 5 minutes he passed us again and this time he gave hand signal for us to pass him as he slowed down. As soon as i took my car to the right i failed to realize it was a very deep hair pin and a truck was headed directly for us. I panic braked, the car skidded and ended up smashing head on with the truck.
The cab guy fled the scene as we struggled to get out of our vehicles, All doors were jammed and 2 of us were injured badly. Finally the truck guy helped us out and a tourist from Mumbai in his scorpio picked the 2 injured and rushed to the nearest hospital.

I was the only one belted and did not have even a scratch on my body. Front passenger ended up getting 30 stitches on this head, torn left ear and torn left eyelid. Rear passengers had rib fractures and head injuries.
Mashblue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 11:51   #132
BHPian

Sorry mods for back to back posts, But the earlier one was incomplete. (Used submit button instead of preview )
Anyways the things i missed were.
1. The car was Alto standard. I remember reading this model has 3 star NCAP rating. The crumple zones worked excellent and saved my life.
2. The accident was caused by the wrong indication from the car in front (He signalled me to pass when he clearly knew there was a truck in front). After the accident the cab did stop but they decided to move on rather than help.
3. Can't thank enough the stranger who dropped the injured to the hospital, (Last thing we remember he said he did not have much experience with right hand drive vehicles).
4. The photo taken by Bharat Motors, Mangalore at the accident spot before towing. (You can clearly see the point of impact: Head-Windshield)

P.S: Mods please delete the photos if too gory.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_4986.jpg  

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_4985.jpg  

Mashblue is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 17:54   #133
BHPian

Mods, please move as appropriate.Thanks.

Now this is taking to the extreme, even for a country where safety takes a backbench.

That's an actual kid playing/lying on the rear deck, on an expressway no less. Imagine my shock when I realized it was not a big toy after all. Couldn't get there attention either.

I cannot possibly comment enough on adults in car, so..

DL1CT5609

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-wp_20150816_15_43_31_pro.jpg
Old 20th August 2015, 12:32   #134
BHPian

Sharing the experience my brother had a day before

Have a look at the images first!

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img20150819wa0001.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img20150818wa0014.jpg

When: 17 August 2015

Where: Palakkad, Kerala (They were on their way to Bangalore from Thrissur)

Vehicle: Ford Ecosport TDCi

Time: Around 2 pm.

Lives at risk: 3

Injuries/Fatalities: Nothing significant to write about, All 3 walked out steady and safe

Savior: Seat Belt

They were driving from Thrissur to Bangalore. This happened 2 Hours into the journey, while they were in the 4 Lane highway near Palakkad.
They had been observing a Truck and i20 having road rash game for a while.
Suddenly the Truck (just ahead of ecosport) moved from slow lane to fast lane (where my brother's car was moving) and paused (literally stopped).

BANG!!!

All 3 passengers (including my sister-in-law and niece) safe and intact, saved by the Superman-"seat belt".
My brother had a minor cut around nose and sister in law had a swell on one of her thumb.

30 minutes later, All three were in a rental cab to Bangalore. They reach bangalore safe, may be an hour late than original plan.

In 30 minutes all this happened.
- In couple minutes NHAI rescue vehicle arrives
- Shortly an Ambulance with support (Fortunately, nothing was needed)
- Inspector of Police of Palakkad Casaba station arrives in few mintues and supports my brother and family, takes them to station (after ensuring they dont need any medical support)
- The truck driver did not stop and had tried to flee. Soon as Inspector reached, he alerted the patrol vehicle and the truck was intercepted and brought to station.
- Completes the formalities (GD entry ??- General Diary)
- Supports in calling Ford RSA, who comes swiftly to the spot and tow away the wrecked vehicle to near by Ford service center.
- Locals arrange a cab with necessary permit to drive to bangalore. All luggage moved to cab and they re-start their journey.

A big to folks at Palakkad Casaba Police Station and also to NHAI/Toll way authorities and locals.

Tough to believe that such prompt, swift and selfless support (from Police and authorities) can happen in India.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th August 2015 at 16:56. Reason: Superb! Inserted images inline (Go Advanced > Arrow next to paperclip > insert). Thanks for sharing.
murajith is offline   (110) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:55   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Sharing the experience my brother had a day before
Thanks a lot for sharing the experience. Sorry to see the car in such state, but it indeed absorbed the impact pretty well. A big to your brother and family for not ignoring the safety aspects and used seat belts diligently.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks