Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 18:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Yesterday, I heard another lame excuse for not belting up.

"I feel suffocated and restricted, when this belt is in position. Know what? it is due to this belt that I don't enjoy the ride in your car."

Needless to say, we had an argument on the spot. But the end result was that the person was belted up till the destination, even though I am sure that he must have been angry with me!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 11:37   #77
Team-BHP Support

Found a nice video on how the pretensioner works.

Last edited by bblost : 24th July 2013 at 11:44.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:08   #78
Team-BHP Support

For those of you who think a 15 km/h impact is bearable without seat belts - one word : OUCH!

Start watching at 30 seconds. The video thumbnail tells the story too.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2013 at 12:11.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 11:32   #79
Team-BHP Support

Came across this simple & effective ad:

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-1234391_668695016488348_2060174173_n660x880.jpg

Source

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2013 at 11:34.
Rehaan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:43   #80
Team-BHP Support

Don't forget to buckle up properly even when traveling at slow speeds!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th November 2013 at 14:55.
Rehaan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 16:41   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt. Two wheeler guy fled the spot. Locals and police were very helpful. I was alone and this happened on thirunelveli byepass on the way to nagercoil(Kanyakumari Dist). I will post more details later,

Damaged parts,

Coolant tank
AC Compressor
Right Front Tyre+ Alloy
Radiator
Suspension
Both the head lamp units cracked
Fog Lamp
Horn
Both Airbag
Panels above the tyre arch(both sides)

Underbody is yet to be inspected.

Seatbelt is there for a reason. please don't take it lightly. Not sure, whether I be alive to write this post if I hadn't worn the seatbelt.

Till yesterday, I was not able to convince my dad to wear seat belt. But after seeing his son coming out of this accident unscratched, he buckles the belt dutifully for every trip.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-1.jpg  

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-2.jpg  

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-3.jpg  

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-4.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th January 2014 at 14:44. Reason: Copied your post to this thread as well ;)
arun_josie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 22:11   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This video definitely deserves a place here:

GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 01:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Reposting my post from the North America thread -

Accident writeup and photos

I was lucky to have walked out of that accident virtually unscathed except a couple of bruises. Airbags, seatbelt, safe build of the car - the door feels light and tinny, yet the frame is excellent - all these factors helped.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-150496.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2014 at 16:40. Reason: Adding picture here as well...
vineethvazhayil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 04:53   #84
BHPian

My affirming experience was when me and my brother was driving home from bangalore on the night before good friday. We were at a good pace, enjoying the smooth fasy paced roads upto Salem. We crossed the mettur dam shortcut, because we thought that we were not familiar with it, then redoubled back to take it anyway. This road was smooth too and we were doing 50kmph. Then the curves came up. On one blind curve, I had finished it seeing one truck was overtaking another truck on my opposite lane. Needless to say, even after me standing on the brakes, he still hit us and I heard the crunch as my bonnet and other sheet metal crumpled.My brother and I walked from that accident, without a scratch, thanks to the seatbelts. Since then everybody in my family understood the importance of the seatbelt.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2014 at 16:45. Reason: Thanks for sharing! Post edited - please remember to always include spaces after full-stops. Thanks.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 19:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

Russian Dash Cam Shows Why You Should Always Wear A Seatbelt.

Source: Jalopnik
pulsar56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 12:08   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

On a lighter note

How do you carry flowers for a girl in the Jeep? Keep it on the floor (front or back) and the bouquet will topple.

Eureka moment!

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-flowers.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 12:44   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a lighter note

Eureka moment!
Nice!

That reminds me of some of the owners who got home their brand new PS4 from the outlets all buckled up in their car seats.

Name:  196ggtux0pufcpng.png
Views: 2884
Size:  238.9 KB

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-kuxlarge.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-original-1.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-original.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-kuxlarge-1.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-kuxlarge-2.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-prcieuseps4300x300.jpg

A forum member had transported his LCD unit in the rear seat using seat belts. Not to defeat the purpose of the thread but thought of posting it here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 15:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Union Minister Gopinath Munde's tragic death could have been prevented had he worn the (rear) seat belt according to forensic experts.
Link to the article -
http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/we...ome-topstories

We often think of seat belts being only required/important for the front seats. Not true. A cousin of mine often stresses the importance of belting yourself even while on the rear bench. Apparently a few years ago the car ferrying a couple of his colleagues had an accident (both sitting at the back) and the person wearing his seat belt escaped while the other man died. The minister's accident reinforces this dictum. While most of us would find it impractical to do so on short hops, at least while travelling on highways we must make the effort.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 18:00   #89
BHPian

This thread is a real eye-opener for me, now i never travel without seat belts and i insist everyone to wear the same while traveling with me.
i often find that the seat belt is too over size and it extends up till the dash board for passenger & steering wheel on the drivers side and per my knowledge not every vehicle is equipped with seat belt pretensioner, so in that case will the seat belt be equally efficient ? won't a body just pop out of the seat belt on impact being it so loose ? sorry if this question is already repeated in other threads .

Last edited by Slush_Traveller : 13th June 2014 at 18:02.
Slush_Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 15:34   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
This thread is a real eye-opener for me, now i never travel without seat belts and i insist everyone to wear the same while traveling with me.
Very glad to hear that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
i often find that the seat belt is too over size and it extends up till the dash board for passenger & steering wheel on the drivers side and per my knowledge not every vehicle is equipped with seat belt pretensioner, so in that case will the seat belt be equally efficient ?
I think you are confusing two different things. Note the definitions below:

Auto-locking:
If you tug at your seatbelt really fast, you'll notice that it locks in place and you can't pull it out any further. This mechanism is what locks the seatbelt in place during a collision, and doesn't let the passenger move too far forward (or slip out). If you pull the seat belt slowly (like when wearing it), it will not lock - and hence it might seem loose to you. In an accident (sudden pull on the seatbelt) it will lock in place - don't worry about that. Virtually all front-seat seatbelts in modern cars behave this way. For more technical details you can search for "Inertia Locking Retractor" or "Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR)".
Seatbelt Pre-tensioner:
This device senses when the car is in a collision and further tightens the already locked seat-belt. This is a good safety feature, but it is optional. It's rarely found on sub 20 lakh cars in India - though there are some exceptions.

Try out the auto-locking on your car and let me know.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th June 2014 at 15:37.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks