Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 23:12   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Another grim and sad reminder of the value of seat belts. Just got home from a business trip and am informed that a nephew of mine, all of 20 years old, was killed this morning driving a Scorpio on a highway north-west of Delhi. I do not yet know all the exact details or sequence or who was at fault. But I do know that the young man was not wearing his seat belt. He was the son of a cousin of mine. Very tragic for the young man and even more so for his parents. My earnest request to all BHPians is - always belt up. Even if you are on the rear seat you should belt up even more so if you are on an inter-city run - Narayan

PS: Dear Moderators, please move this post to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 17th October 2016 at 23:14.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:36   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I do not yet know all the exact details or sequence or who was at fault. But I do know that the young man was not wearing his seat belt.
Not a pleasant matter to discuss again. But I would like to share some important facts which I discovered today. My nephew was not driving. He was in the rear seat on the left hand side. Yet he was killed because of not wearing a seat belt. I wont dwell on the gory details as it is a sad moment for us. The point I am making is that we should wear a seat belt even if we are positioned on the rear seat. More so if you are on a fast road
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 12:44   #243
BHPian

There is a belief in our culture that something wrong might happen before a major life event or decision and that held true in my case where I was involved in an accident just 2 weeks before my wedding.

Slightly over a month ago, my friends and I were involved in an accident while driving back to Bangalore. I wasn't speeding nor was I driving rashly at the time of the incident. A momentary lapse in judgement resulted in the photo you see above.

Thanks to God, none of us nor the passengers in the other car were injured which is a miracle and most people would agree judging by the condition of the car. Really thankful that all of us are alive and unscathed. I also feel that a lot also has to do with the fact that the car I was driving was German made and had good build quality.

Although when driving in a country like India, there are so many different uncertainties and obstacles to tackle, I would urge everyone out there to be as safe as possible when driving. Also, make sure to keep your seatbelts fastened at all times even if you are in the back seats especially on highways. Also make sure you drive a car with as many safety features as possible and something that's solidly built. Every step towards mitigating the accident counts. Safe driving
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-1485501125485.jpg  

sandeepsarma is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 13:32   #244
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Ouch looks nasty could share how it happened and what exactly occurred? Great to hear that everyone was fine. On a side note: are those beautiful rims at all salvageable?
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 23:24   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Ouch looks nasty could share how it happened and what exactly occurred? Great to hear that everyone was fine. On a side note: are those beautiful rims at all salvageable?
Long story short, was a lapse in judgement on my part. Happened while overtaking. The left side got most of the impact as I took the car to the right to avoid a head on collision as there was another car on the left too. The entire left side took a hit and sent the car skidding and airborne for a short while before hitting a pole on the right.

After the accident locals stole my car keys, some snacks that were in the car. The only part that was fine was the boot which also got screwed because I had to leave the car at the spot then continue to Bangalore after which I sent a towing truck. People stole battery, antenna and spare tyre after opening the boot with a crowbar.

The Momo Revenge is what made me sad since less than 2 months prior to the accident is when I got them. The front left rim is bent and damaged while other three might be usable. However, I can't touch it till the insurance matters are sorted :(
sandeepsarma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:52   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
After the accident locals stole my car keys, some snacks that were in the car. The only part that was fine was the boot which also got screwed because I had to leave the car at the spot then continue to Bangalore after which I sent a towing truck. People stole battery, antenna and spare tyre after opening the boot with a crowbar.
(
This is sad! Can you please share where did it happen?
Old 4th February 2017, 01:13   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This is sad! Can you please share where did it happen?
Happened in Sirsi, on the way to Bangalore from Gokarna :(
Old 4th February 2017, 21:43   #248
BHPian

Bad! that's the first word and a sigh of relief that you all are safe (credit : German Cars). I am just wondering if it was a Suzuki or may be Hyundai (gives me shivers).
And seat belts, we wear them just to avoid fines and nothing more.
Old 5th February 2017, 16:17   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
Bad! that's the first word and a sigh of relief that you all are safe (credit : German Cars). I am just wondering if it was a Suzuki or may be Hyundai (gives me shivers).
And seat belts, we wear them just to avoid fines and nothing more.
Agreed. I thought of same thing and that's why I got another German itself to replace it. Seat belts too helped a lot I believe as all four occupants were wearing it
sandeepsarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:58   #250
Senior - BHPian

The only reason im alive and in the condition to type this is because i was wearing my seatbelt. My friend was driving. He was not wearing his seatbelt and has suffered serious injuries to his entire ribcage, chest and his head.

This happened around 6 am we overtook a car from our left and my friend failed to see the stationery metro feeder on the road. By the time I told him to brake it was too late.. We both had lost consciousness. Bystanders got us out of the car. I regained consciousness after about 15 minutes and it took me a while to realise what had happened. Seatbelts really do save lives even if the car doesnt have airbags as was the case in our accident. I have suffered minor cuts and bruises on my face, arms and legs. Really really glad that I always wear my seatbelt no matter how short the distance is.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_1626.png  

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_1628.jpg  

Last edited by aparth : 3rd July 2017 at 02:00.
aparth is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:47   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
The only reason im alive and in the condition to type this is because i was wearing my seatbelt. My friend was driving. He was not wearing his seatbelt and has suffered serious injuries to his entire ribcage, chest and his head.

Glad that you escaped with minor injuries. Seatbelts are a must, doesn't matter where you're sitting. How is your friend? The windshield has a tuft of hair from inside, looks like he banged into windshield also. Which car is this?

I have my share of experience to post, this happened about 2 weeks back. My elder brother, sister-in-law and niece were out for some work and while coming back, near Crowne Plaza in Gurgaon, they met with an accident. They were taking a left turn to join the NH8 and at the same time a Ciaz was coming on wrong side. Since it was a blind turn, my brother noticed it late and braked hard. The Ciaz banged on the right hand side. Thankfully, nothing happened to anyone. My 3 year old niece has always been made to use a car seat and she insists on a car seat everytime. She was also fine but not happy as her milk spilled a bit. The Ciaz fellow agreed that it was his fault and will pay up for difference. The driver side door was not opening plus the bonnet, bumper, RHS headlight and fender were damaged. Thankfully nothing on the inside of engine bay. The car was drivable and taken to Competent Automobiles for repairs. It has returned to its old glory now.

What I understood after this was
1. No matter where you sit in a car, ALWAYS wear seatbelts.
2. Always buy cars with full safety gear, even if you have to go down the ladder.
3. Child should be bolstered in a child seat. Period.
4. Preferably a DashCam to record events for such eventuality.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20170703_070227.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20170703_070254.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20170703_072008.jpg
Place of occurrence.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-ciaz.jpg
The Ciaz.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20170703_074103.jpg
Back to pristine glory.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20170703_074224.jpg
Standing next to my Brezza.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd July 2017 at 12:48.
BoneCollector is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:27   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really really glad that I always wear my seatbelt no matter how short the distance is.
To add to this, also wear seatbelts when seated at the rear of a taxi, Ola, Uber or otherwise. I was seated in the back and without a seatbelt.. I'll also be honest in telling that there was no seatbelt clip in the back (because the driver had pushed it into the seat, presumably to ensure that 3 people can sit comfortably without that clip digging into their rear ends) and even if the clip was available I would not have used it that day.. I found out how essential it is when the cabbie rear ended another motorist at under 20 kmph and I fell right from my seat into the footwell in the back.

May I also make a request not to mock cars without ABS/airbags, structural safety etc etc UNTIL you use the seatbelts each and every time you are seated in one, be it a friends car, your own car or any other. YES you will get bruises and abrasions when the belt protects you, yes it may even cut your shirt (I've seen it).. but the extent to which you are protected due to it is immeasurable. A car is important as long as you can get out of it safely each time irrespective of what happens to it.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 19:23   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We both had lost consciousness. Bystanders got us out of the car. I regained consciousness after about 15 minutes and it took me a while to realise what had happened.
You were both belted, right? What caused the loss of consciousness? Did you bang your heads despite the belts?

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th July 2017 at 16:42. Reason: Splitting post between 2 threads.
Old 4th July 2017, 22:08   #254

Quote:
Glad to know you are safe. Which car was that?
Old 4th July 2017, 23:15   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_love20 View Post
Glad to know you are safe. Which car was that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Glad that you escaped with minor injuries. Seatbelts are a must, doesn't matter where you're sitting. How is your friend? The windshield has a tuft of hair from inside, looks like he banged into windshield also. Which car is this?
According to me, this car is either Polo or Vento

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks