Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 13:22   #271
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
"When I learnt driving we didn't have seatbelts or mirrors. They weren't necessary back then, so I don't see why they would be necessary now"
Send him some crash videos (NCAP) on whatsapp. One every day. Mainly the ones which focus on not using the seatbelts which emphasize on the low speeds at which those crashes are done.

I did the same to my wife and she has stopped resting her legs on the dashboard.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 18:22   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Send him some crash videos (NCAP) on whatsapp. One every day. Mainly the ones which focus on not using the seatbelts which emphasize on the low speeds at which those crashes are done. ...
For me, what worked was the descriptions of what happens in an accident, all in the first fraction of a second too. You know the sort of thing: it starts with gripping the steering wheel instinctively, which means your arms shatter as you are thrown forward... I forget the details. I guess they did what was needed for me when I read them and I don't need to run the horror movie in my head again: I would not even drive to the end of the road without a seat belt on.

For those who talk about slow speeds, or city speeds, ask them if they ever walked into a wall, or a low bar, tree branch etc. Most of have, and we know that it hurt. And that would be a mere three to four kph.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 18:26   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...For those who talk about slow speeds, or city speeds, ask them if they ever walked into a wall, or a low bar, tree branch etc. Most of have, and we know that it hurt. And that would be a mere three to four kph.
+1.

That's now my standard retort to any 'low speeds don't need safety equipment' rhetoric I hear.

Still, making someone realize their folly, difficult as it may be, is far easier than convincing them to give it up.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 23:01   #274
Senior - BHPian

Have posted my experience of a high speed accident I was in recently. It was in Sweden but nevertheless the rear seat belts saved me a lot of pain.

Details in the below linked post. Please always wear seatbelts even in the rear seat.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4576050 (Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts)

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd April 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Adding 1 image as well :)
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 20:19   #275
Senior - BHPian

Truth be told, in spite of the shock that this incident has caused, I am happy to be posting in this thread.

Look at a few pictures first.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20190913_1708112000x1500.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20190913_1708162000x1500.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20190913_1949042905x1873.jpg

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20190913_1948272905x1954.jpg

The engine compartment is completely untouched and undamaged.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img_20190913_1948152905x2782.jpg

My friend and his wife were in this Ertiga (1st Gen, Zdi) when they met with an accident. He was driving at about 80 kmph on a single lane road near Honnavalli when, trying to steer the car away from the left shoulder, he lost control. The car turned turtle, catapulted sideways 4-5 times, crossed the road, hit a large tree trunk and landed on its left side. When he came to his senses, he was hanging from the seat and his wife was looking up at him.

He got a just a 4 inch cut on his head and wonder of wonders, the lady escaped completely unscathed and unscarred.

BOTH OF THEM WERE WEARING THEIR SEATBELTS.

Had that not been the case, I doubt if they would have made it out alive.

Seatbelts have indeed been their saviour.
dailydriver is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 20:54   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Truth be told, in spite of the shock that this incident has caused, I am happy to be posting in this thread.

Seatbelts have indeed been their saviour.
This is one thread where inspite of looking at mangled mess, one can smile. Glad they are safe.

I hope he doesn't get emotional and try to revive this car. Please convince him if he plans on its revival.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:19   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There was absolutely no physical (Internal or external) injury to both of us and we immediately came out of the car. Luckily the front power window was rolled down after crossing Hassan for some fresh Air that helped us come out through it.
Slightly off topic.

At that time of incident, what would you have done if the power window was not rolled down? I ask this because my family members are not convinced to buy cars with all four power windows. They tell me that at least the rear windows should be manually operated, so that they will be helpful during emergency situations. Waiting for your reply. Even others can answer. Thanks in advance.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:32   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
At that time of incident, what would you have done if the power window was not rolled down?
Buy a 'seat belt cutter and window hammer' device. I have kept two in my car - one in the glowbox and another strapped beneath the seat.

Though headrest of most cars can be pulled out and used to break the window, it's better to have a dedicated device.
Klub Class is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 18:42   #279

Hi Fellow T-BHPians,

Quite a lot has been said, heard and seen everywhere about the importance of seatbelts and more so about the importance of using them. There are numerous examples where seatbelts have saved lives and a lot of people read these, yet ignore the same. Today, on the way to my daughter’s school, I witnessed yet another shining example of what seatbelts can do if you wear them. Unfortunately the young man had not fastened his and suffered. I will say that he was lucky to survive (at least till the time I was there he was alive, had fainted, I think it was due to loss of blood, but was alive, I’m not sure about his condition now). Also, in our own negligent ways, how we manage to threaten the precious lives of our own family members and friends whom we can never replace. I don’t really mean to lecture the young man or anyone else, but just pointing out the obvious. I am attempting to pen down what I saw, did and experience in the spur of the moment. I have no pictures of this as I did not take any as that was a decent thing to do. Read on if you will.

My 5 year old daughter and I had a daily routine from Monday to Friday. Her school starts at 8 AM with prayers and singing national anthem and a few activities. We leave home at 7:45 AM sharp and reach her school by 7:55 AM as there is not much traffic on route. Her school bus used to come to pick her up and 6:45 AM which was too early for her and she would fall asleep in the bus and then be in a cranky mood the whole day in school. Hence, we decided that we will let her sleep for an extra hour and I would drop her to school every day. On the way back she takes the school bus. School run is done on my motorcycle which she has lovingly named “Sparky”. A few months ago, I saw an ad in the TBHP classified and really liked the car. Everything fell into place as the car was very well maintained and was within budget. We purchased it within a week of taking a first look at it. So far no complaints. It has been named “Speedy”. Since Speedy’s arrival the routine has changed a bit. Monday to Thursday, Sparky takes the little one to school and then Papa to office. Friday, Speedy takes her to school and Papa to office. Weekends Speedy also takes Mama, Papa and her to the local vegetable market, supermarkets and malls for a movie or simply to McDonalds. Today as was the norm, I took both our helmets in both hands, my daughter wore her little school bag on her back and held on to Sparky’s keys. She ran down ahead of me and when we reached the basement parking, I saw that Sparky’s rear tyre was completely out of air. Upon further inspection, I found a big nail in the tyre and because it was parked since Thursday night, all the air had left the tyre rendering it completely flat. So, I went back up, left the two helmets and keys at home, picked up Speedy’s keys and went back downstairs. Started her up, put the school bag on the front passenger seat, got the little one into the rear middle seat and buckled her up. Then I got in, buckled up and left the building.

There wasn’t much traffic as usual and we made good time even though I was driving at around 35kmph. My daughter and I were conversing and we crossed Brigade Millennium signal which turned green just as we approached and proceeded further. Just as we approached the Capitol School junction, I noticed a Polo speeding towards the main road from the side road. I didn’t mind as there is large speed breaker just before the junction, and I had slowed down considerably. The Polo joined the main road ahead of me and began pulling away at speed. At that time I noticed a little ahead, a truck was heading towards us. The road being average in size, requires cars to slow down and move to the extreme left to accommodate larger vehicles coming from the opposite side. I slowed down and moved to the left in anticipation that the truck driver will hold onto his speed and will expect others to move out of the way. And then it happened.

As the truck was just a few feet away from the Polo, from a side road a lady on her scooter emerged onto the main road in front of the truck. I guess she simply did not look to her right and notice the truck coming towards her on the main road. She just joined the road and began accelerating, but it was not enough as the truck was faster. In order to avoid hitting her, the truck driver swerved right and directly into the path of the oncoming Polo. Head on collision. I guess the Polo driver did not anticipate this but at the last moment saw the truck and swerved left. But it was too late. The truck hit the right front of the Polo completely crushing it’s right front portion including tyres and other parts. I was around 50 meters behind the Polo with no one else between us. What happened next, I was completely unprepared and did things simply on instinct.

I stopped on the left next to the footpath, pulled the handbrake to its highest, tightest level, rolled the driver side window down so that my daughter would not suffocate, switched the car off and pulled the key out of the ignition slot and put the car in gear. As I opened the door, I also took a bottle of water which was in the car and told my daughter to sit in the car and not get out. In the meanwhile, there is a small hotel that serves idly and dosa in the morning and that hotel is quite popular with cab drivers and auto rickshaw drivers. I guess these guys are either off to their early morning duties or are back from their night shifts. These drivers pulled the truck driver from his truck and began to beat him mercilessly. I wanted to intervene and stop them but I guess I was quite taken aback when I saw the guy in the Polo. He was bleeding profusely from his nose and mouth and there was blood all over his face which had resulted from a deep gash on his forehead just above his right eyebrow. I opened the door and saw that he was not wearing his seatbelt. There was blood all over the steering wheel and his shirt was soaked in blood. I did not wait for his permission and began helping him get off the car. A cab driver came running and helped me help him. As we were doing so, his phone fell on the road. I picked it up and hurriedly put it in my pocket. We then moved him to the footpath and made him sit down and gave him water. The same cab driver ran to his cab and got more water. I tried conversing with him as to who he was and from where he was coming. I did not catch his name as his mouth was swollen and a few teeth were missing but understood when he said he had dropped his older son to school and was rushing to drop his younger son to the day care center before going to work. Immediately, I went back to the car and saw a little boy, probably four years or less in the passenger side footwell. This kid was in the front passenger seat and was also not wearing his seatbelt. Due to the impact and his little size, I believe, he had slid off the leatherette seat and landed into the footwell, miraculously missing the dashboard. He had a superficial scratch to his right arm, probably due to the plastic on the center console. On one side I was really angry considering the negligence on part of the father but on the other side, I guess my paternal instincts took over and I began consoling the child. The cab drivers had called the police and the ambulance.

As all of this happened, my daughter was still in the car and I could see her from the windshield of my car. I signaled that it’s ok and I will come back to her soon. At that time, seeing the commotion quite a few people had stopped to help the Polo driver and I happened to see my sister-in-law who was travelling to office. She stays a short distance from our house and works in electronic city and hence this is her daily route. I stopped her and told her all of the above and requested her to take my daughter to school, to which she obliged. I then sent my daughter away with her aunt and went back to consoling the child in my arms. In the meanwhile, the Polo driver had lost a fair amount of blood and was unconscious. The ambulance arrived within no time and took him away to the hospital. One good thing I did was, I confirmed with the ambulance driver which hospital he was taking the fellow to. After the ambulance left, I realized the mess I was in.

I had a little child in my arms, crying himself hoarse. I did not know what to do. Do I take him to my home? Do I take him to the police station? Do I take him to the hospital his father was taken to? What to do now? There were a few auto rickshaw drivers who were suggesting a few things. Then “EUREKA”! I recollected that this little fellow had a sibling in a nearby school. I put him in the rear seat of the car and fastened the seatbelt. Before closing the door, I engaged the child lock. I did not want this kid opening the door when I was driving. I then got in, and locked the window buttons so that he cannot lower the windows either. Switched on the car, belted up and took a brisk U-Turn and went towards the older sibling’s school. Reached there and went to the security guard and told him what had happened. He promptly took me to the principal’s office where I narrated the whole incident to her. All this while the child was crying. She calmly took the child into her arms and asked me to go outside her cabin and wait. Within ten minutes, they had managed to silence the child and also located the older sibling. They then called the mother and informed her to take her kids home and also attend to the father. The principal madam then came outside, thanked me for my efforts and said I could leave and that they would take over from this point onwards. I thanked her and left the place. As I was leaving I received a WhatsApp message from my Sister-in-Law that she had dropped my daughter off to school and she had also reached office safely. I thanked her and put my phone back in the pocket only to realize that I had the Polo driver’s phone in my pocket. At that moment I saw a woman rush into the school. Must have been the mother. I went back and saw the principal madam standing there and I handed over the mobile phone to her and walked out.

Reached home and parked the car in the basement and was idling the car for a few minutes before shutting it down. At that moment I was thinking how the driver hurt his forehead. I could understand that his nose and mouth would have hit the center of the steering wheel which caused injury, but how on the forehead. I took off my seatbelt and tried to put my face on the steering wheel. Still, I could not simulate the injury on the right eyebrow. Then I remembered seeing a shiny little wheel on the steering wheel of the Polo. This was clamped to the steering wheel just above where the right spoke connects to the steering. As he turned left at the last moment, this wheel would have moved along with the steering wheel and would have been placed at that exact spot where he had hit his forehead.
Was thinking why we need these contraptions. Switched the car off, and went home. The moment I entered, wife jovially said, “I heard that you’re taking care off and consoling random kids at the side of the road”. I tried to explain but she had already got the news from my sister-in-law. Then my older sister who is visiting us for a few days asked, “Hero, Aren’t you getting late for office?” I noticed the time and quickly rushed to get ready for office.

On the way to office, I realized that I was a Hero to my family. Aren’t we all? But real heroes don’t break laws, instead uphold them, don’t they? How can we be heroes if we can’t even follow simple rules like wearing a helmet when we are on a two wheeler and wearing seatbelts when we are in a four wheeler? This simple accident could have taken a “HERO” away from his loved ones in an instant.

I have taken a vow today. Number of seatbelts fastened in my car will always be equal to the number of passengers. Whether they like it or not.

Drive safe, please!
BR
BoothRoyd is offline   (292) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 20:34   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoothRoyd View Post
.... Today, on the way to my daughter’s school, I witnessed yet another shining example of what seatbelts can do if you wear them.

... ... ...

As the truck was just a few feet away from the Polo, from a side road a lady on her scooter emerged onto the main road in front of the truck. I guess she simply did not look to her right and notice the truck coming towards her on the main road. She just joined the road and began accelerating, but it was not enough as the truck was faster. In order to avoid hitting her, the truck driver swerved right and directly into the path of the oncoming Polo. Head on collision.

... ... ...
Well done. You did a great job. It is a pity that ignorant crowds did not, and took it out on the truck driver for trying to save the life of a bad scooter rider.

I have to ask... What happened to her? Surely she didn't just drive off?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 20:56   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fellow T-BHPians,

I have taken a vow today. Number of seatbelts fastened in my car will always be equal to the number of passengers. Whether they like it or not.

Drive safe, please!
BR
You did great sir. You were a true hero on that instance.

One request to you. Since you already have a car and can afford the expenses, take your daughter to school in the car everyday. There is way too much unpredictability in a bike even with a helmet. Imagine something swerving on to you while in a bike. A bike is simply unsafe to carry a child even with helmet.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th November 2019 at 20:58.
padmrajravi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 22:01   #282
BHPian

Quote:

I have taken a vow today. Number of seatbelts fastened in my car will always be equal to the number of passengers.
Great decision. I would just like to add one thing. Please buy a booster seat for your daughter and place it in the backseat (if you haven't done that already).
DaptChatterjee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:13   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Today, on the way to my daughter’s school, I witnessed yet another shining example of what seatbelts can do if you wear them.
You are a hero man . When something happens like this, people would go to hyper mode. But you handled it so calmly and wisely. Not just words but action matters, you proved it. Thanks for sharing. God Bless
TorqueKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:05   #284
BHPian

You did great, Sir. That was the best possible course of action that you could take in that scene.

Although, I have an opinion here:
Quote:
We then moved him to the footpath and made him sit down and gave him water. The same cab driver ran to his cab and got more water.
In an CPR and emergency training, I have learnt that you shouldn't make an accident victim drink water in any situation. There may be multiple unseen injuries which may cause the water to enter the lungs - and the person can drown with that little amount of water entering the lungs.

A victim doesn't need water immediately - the first thing to ensure which is supplied is air to the lungs and the pulse is running. Water can wait and should be given only to calm the person down in case of minor injuries.

Hats off to you once again for presence of mind and awareness of surroundings.
amods is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:22   #285
BHPian

Really appreciate what you did! Great presence of mind and I am so happy you did not think of anything else but to attend to your humanitarian duty. Hats off
srikrishna717 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks