Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 09:35   #1
BHPian

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree

It happened on Diwali!

Me and my dear wife went for a Wayanad Trip, taking our 2 month old Punto. We were returning from Wayanad to Bangalore ( Manathavady -Kabini-Handpost route). Everything was good until 12 PM.

My wife was the driver; she took the steering seeing that I had been driving from 5.30 AM. Close to Handpost (50 KM from Mysore), while she was taking a left turn (~60 kmph), we suddenly saw an Alto and Bike overtaking well in the left line (where we were coming). Upon pure instincts, she maneuvered the car further to the left.

Luckily or unluckily for us, it was a grassy patch of road with a big tree on the left.

The next few seconds were quite animated. I felt that I had been inside a real video game. We heard a big screech and the next moment, both airbags deployed and we were almost on that tree.

The most surprising factor is that we didn't get any injuries at all, apart from bruises due to the seat belt tightening. The steering wheel collapsed.

Punto is indeed made like a tank, a good thing we named him tumblr.

I called Fiat Roadside Assistance, who suggested taking my car to Mysore (URS Kar) instead of Bangalore. The towing guy was asking for exorbitant rates like 6k for 50 KM. Seemed like a daylight robbery because the manager told me the rate should be Rs. 25 / KM ( Even if I calculate 70KM*2ways * 25Rs it would come to 3.5K) .

A lot of good Samaritans came up, including a Team-BHP follower from Kabini (Buddy I know you have the crash pic, which I don't). Helped me tie the car to a Bolero pickup and drag him to Mysore.

Guys, I might need some help in going for an insurance claim, as I had opted for a zero Dep insurance with Oriental. How much might be covered in the insurance here (Guesses are most welcome). What can be my next steps. I would be travelling tomorrow to Mysore (to work on the insurance and estimate).

N.B: Guys if anybody is saying we don't need airbags because we drive under the speed limit and we don't drive enthusiastically, that is absolute bollocks. I'm not mentioning about the significance of seatbelts here, one of the most discussed topics on T-BHP.

If I was in a car other than our Punto, I'm not sure....may be its my adrenalin speaking. We would have been travelling in an ambulance instead of a Taxi Cab to Bangalore!
Attached Thumbnails
My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr001.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr002.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr003.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr004.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr005.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr006.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr007.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr008.jpg  

My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-tumblr009.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2013 at 16:57. Reason: Typos
TheHkrish is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 10:17   #2
BHPian

re: My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree

TheHkrish, Very sad incident to happen. But be thankful to God that you and your family is safe and sound which is most important. You will lose some money from this incident which you will always earn back in time. So dont worry and move on.

Looking at the damage, it looks extensive. Not sure if you should go for repairs or claim full damage and buy yourself a new car. See what the service adviser from FIAT has to tell. I am sure there are many experts in team bhp who can guide you on the recovery process.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Saw the pics and read your write-up.
I know the time is not appropriate for questions like this, but is the tree still alive? Poor thing...

This is not a sad occasion IMHO. You two should celebrate your "second lives". You can start by having a talk with your insurance guys and go for a new car. No need to waste your time thinking which car should that be.

Me too drive a GP.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 4th November 2013 at 10:58.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 11:01   #4
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this & glad that you & your missus escaped unscathed. This is a testimony of Punto's built quality & reinforce's the faith we hold in FIAT.

(Me: soon-to-be a proud Punto owner)
tabrez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 11:44   #5
BHPian

Unfortunate accident, but glad to hear you are all safe and did not suffer injuries.

FIAT RSA was supposed to take the vehicle in a Flatbed FOC to the nearest FASS or for 100kms, which ever is less. Wonder why they asked you money for this?
Old 4th November 2013, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see your beauty damaged, but at the end you walked out of the incident and that is what matters.

BTW, Fiat RSA offers towing free for 200kms. Seems like the towing guy pulled a fast one on you. Escalate this and get refunded.

Car can be repaired too, it's not a total loss from the externals.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Guys I might need some help here , in going for insurance claim as I had gone for a zero Dep insurance with Oriental. How much might be covered in the insurance here (Guesses are most welcome). What can be my next steps. I would be travelling tomorrow to Mysore( to work on the insurance and estimate).
Pity you had to go through this experience. All the best and cheer up!

The main frame of the car doesn't seem to have any damage - the front part of the car has gone for a toss! But I seriously doubt if this car might be pushed for total loss. Good you have zero-dep insurance - by the rules you won't be paying a penny (apart from the basic processing charges ~1-2k).
Old 4th November 2013, 12:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate. But, good to know that you all are safe. Punto indeed is built like a tank. Here's the link of another accident that happened to my friend last year.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...es-family.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
I called Fiat Road side Assistance, who suggested to take my car to Mysore (URS Kar) instead of Bangalore. The towing guy was asking exorbitant rates like 6k for 50KM. Seemed like a daylight robbery because the manager told me it was 25Rs/KM ( Even if I calculate 70KM*2ways * 25Rs which would come to 3.5K) .
Are you not covered under free RSA? As said by DRIV3R, towing is free up to 200 kms. One of my friend availed this service 40 kms. away from Salem. His was 2010 Linea and the car was towed to True Sai Motorss, Salem. He didn't pay a penny.
Old 4th November 2013, 12:18   #9
BHPian

Good that both of you came out unharmed and punto took all the bruise. Looks shell is undamaged and it can be repairable. Time and again I am seeing only Fiats airbag is deployed in the event of collision.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 12:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just learnt that RSA towing is free only for breakdowns and not accidents.
DRIV3R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 13:42   #11
BHPian

Its indeed a sad occasion but you should be glad as you don't have any other loss except monetary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Pity you had to go through this experience. All the best and cheer up!

The main frame of the car doesn't seem to have any damage - the front part of the car has gone for a toss! But I seriously doubt if this car might be pushed for total loss. Good you have zero-dep insurance - by the rules you won't be paying a penny (apart from the basic processing charges ~1-2k).
About the insurance, even if you have zero-dep insurance, i think you may have to pay 50% for the plastic, glass and fibre parts in addition to the processing fees, correct me if i am wrong.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:47   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

You have been blessed with a new life this Diwali. Glad you bought the fully loaded Grande Punto with all safety kit.

Zero Dep Insurance should look after you so be sure to politely and firmly push all the necessary buttons to ensure that they honour the commitment.

All the best!
Old 4th November 2013, 13:47   #13
BHPian

Happy to note that the two of you escaped unhurt,the damage does not look extensive. and no way it is going to be total loss.The damage can easily be repaired and, once again drive safe in future.
Old 4th November 2013, 13:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
About the insurance, even if you have zero-dep insurance, i think you may have to pay 50% for the plastic, glass and fibre parts in addition to the processing fees, correct me if i am wrong.
Zero dep meaning, no depreciation on plastic/glass/fibre, and hence 100% coverage.
DRIV3R is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 14:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

The car seems to have taken the impact well given the speed of 60+ and a head on collision.

A zero dep insurance should cover it all,but look at the finer print in your insurance for exclusions,if any.

You will have to depend on the SA for an estimate, but by the looks of it the bill will be heavy but not a total loss case - assuming the engine is intact.

Most Viewed