Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 19:38   #31
BHPian

Re: My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Lucky you. Though as they say, God helps those who help themselves. Buying a car with air bags and using the seat belts certainly helped save your lives.

The sad thing is that despite such well publicised incidents, there will be idiots who do not bother to wear seat belts. Agree with what @smartcat said - such things happen and ensure that your wife does not lose confidence while driving long distances.
Totally agree with all the points mentioned. Glad that our fellow BHPian is safe and lives on to educate more people who think that the safety features can be compromised on.

The incident reiterates the importance of safety features in our cars and more importantly picking up a car that has a solid build.

A few lakhs of rupees saved is no comparison to the lives that would be saved or any physical injuries that would be suffered.

I guess incidents like these should be grouped together and be part of an educational article in this site that can serve as an eye opener for anyone who think is invincible.

Drive Safe,
Andy
Old 5th November 2013, 19:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post

I have one nagging question. The car right now is in Mysore, as I am in Bangalore ( kind of 180KMs one way).

Do I need to tow the car to Bangalore so that I can have a better monitoring on the work?

Is it advised to tow a car to Bangalore in this condition ?

What might be the total cost to tow it on a flat bed to Bangalore from Mysore ?
Thumbs-up to your spirit for getting over the episode quickly .
In my personal opinion it is good to have the car back in Bangalore so that monitoring is undoubtedly better due to accessibility.Since there is some major work involved , I guess it would take weeks before your tumblr is back home and it would save the hassle of frequent shuttling between the two cities.
One point that I am literally scratching my head on is how can we get this car onto a flat bed surface for the transportation , because the car is not in a position to be driven up/down a ramp.
Sorry to end up with a question instead of answering to your question .
Old 5th November 2013, 19:55   #33
BANNED

There is no doubt that fiats are built tough n well. Enjoy your second life n all thanks to fiat. I have used 3 fiat cars over the last 10 years n they were n are all solidly built. I own a 4.5year lines with 94k in the odo n not a single squeak or rattle yet. Where as my friend who bought a sx4 around the same time as me says its a rattle box with 43k on the odo . kuddos to fiat.
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 20:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know you're both safe! The car's definitely a well built! I second the point on safety features to be included in Indian cars - atleast airbags!
Old 6th November 2013, 07:51   #35
BHPian

Really glad to hear you and your family are safe.
Not sure how experienced a driver your other half is, but I am always reluctant to hand over the wheel to any one on 2 lane roads especially on village roads and when driving my vehicle. Its not about me showing I am a better driver, its more to keep everyone safe. You would probably be the best judge of your vehicle, knowing the braking distances and handling better than anyone else.
Old 6th November 2013, 09:43   #36
BHPian

Happy to know that both of you walked away with minor bruises.

Punto is definitely solid in build quality and this incident once again reinforces faith in FIAT's product quality.

Looking at the damages i don't think the insurance company will agree for a Total loss.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:21   #37
BHPian

Glad to know that you both are fine even after such a bad incident.

Those stupid alto driver & bike rider would have carried on as if everything was normal. They would again do such stupid acts & will again harm someone else.

It feels really sad having to face such an incident/hassles/pain because of some other moron, while that moron will continue to be a danger to our roads.

Hopefully everything(including your car) will get back to being normal soon.
Do share your repair experience at the FIAT. Have heard a lot of stories about issues of FIAT's parts availability at the showrooms.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:48   #38
BHPian

Hey TheHkrish, thank God that you and your wife are safe and the car took the brunt of it. I can sympathize with you as my swift also had a bad crash last month and in my case too my wife was driving. It actually is very frustrating when you end up crashing because of someone else's fault. You have mentioned that it is a 2-month-old car and with the zero dep insurance, you will not have to pay a single penny out of your pocket. Happy and safe driving bro.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:58   #39
BHPian

I think you both are lucky to escape unhurt and should be thankful to God. This incident will remain in your minds for some time to come you will see yourselves observing more caution every time you drive !
Nice to know Punto is built so solid, Get what you can from your insurance claims and move on to a new car buddy!
Old 6th November 2013, 11:16   #40
BHPian

TheHkrish- Its good to know that you and your family is safe. And indeed Fiat's are tanks built to last. They use much better quality sheet metals even compared to VW.

May be I can help you a bit in answering your insurance related questions, as we have two things in common. 1- Accident 2- Zero Dep Policy. Also, coming to your second question and answering it first, is it worth to get your car to Bangalore from Mysore? If you intend to pay regular visits to the Service Center in Bangalore where your car is being repaired, get it, otherwise leave it. Also, have a look at comparing the cost of driving it down from Mysore to Bangalore when the car is ready, viz a viz cost of towing it on a flat-bed. Whatever feels cheaper and convenient, go ahead with it.

Now about the Insurance Claims

It is important to get an FIR from the local police station where the accident had occurred, and importantly, since we have comprehensive insurance policies, make sure that they mention, no external person was injured in the accident apart from the occupants, if that be the case. Otherwise, you can have a sudden by-stander who can come and claim that he was injured due an accident with your car. And you may have to settle his bill separately, as the same may or may not be covered in the insurance policy.

Know, a Zero Depreciation Insurance ensures that it covers everything, be it glass, plastics, rubber, head-lamps, tail-lamps, absolutely everything, the only value that you have to pay is the Insurance Claim Charges which are usually nominal and the charges for clips that are used to fix bumpers, oil changes if required,etc

When I had met with an accident rear-on, A jeep had come and banged into me from behind, while I was waiting at the signal, following parts were changed in my car. Boot, Rear Bumper, rear C-pillar, Cross Section of the running board and taillights. My overall bill was INR 1,07,960 including the labor charges, part charges, bumper coloring, etc. However, I just payed INR 3,650. Out of which INR 1500 was insurance claim fee and remaining were for those clips and sundry activities.

Don't worry, your machine will be back to its gleaming glory soon. Take Care.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I might need some help in going for an insurance claim, as I had opted for a zero Dep insurance with Oriental. How much might be covered in the insurance here (Guesses are most welcome).
Hello Friend,

Relieved to know that both of you are absolutely safe & there are no serious injuries. Accidents happen & most of times we have no control over the incidents.

As far as insurance claim is concerned, since you have a zero depreciation cover & the car is just two months old, practically everything will be covered, except from mandatory claim deduction (which will be Rs. 1,000 or some fixed amount clearly mentioned in the policy). You will also have to bear the cost of towing the car from accident spot to the service station as Insurance companies disburse only a fixed amount (which is very low amount) for this.

Regarding carrying out the repairs at Mysore or Bangalore, speak to Fiat guys. If they have a tie up with a reputed service station in Mysore then it will be good. Otherwise it will be advisable to bring the car to Bangalore.

P.S. You may refer my experience in dealing with Royal Sundaram Insurance Company last year:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rajasthan.html

Thanks,
Old 6th November 2013, 12:11   #42
BHPian

Guys , Thanks for all the wishes.

We ( Me & Missus) went Yesterday( Tuesday the 5th of Nov) to Mysore to URS Kar as early as in morning 10.00AM , couldn't reach any earlier than that..

But when we went there, they asked me to wait for 10 mins and it went upto 1.5 hours. Please understand that this was our first official visit to them to see what and how they are going to take care my tumblr.

They kept on saying manager is in a meeting and asked me to wait. In the mean while I can see they are looking at multiple tata cars being looked up. I kept on thinking about the step mother treatment
At 11.30 I thought enough is enough I would take my Car to Bangalore in a flat bed.

Called Fiat RSA ( they were extremely co-operating), and I mentioned I would like to transfer the car to Vecto motors in Bangalore, after calling up Mr.Santhosh of Vecto.

That seemed to have worked the manager came running saying that he would give this car back in 15 days , we were like ( that fast ..), that seemed way to ambitious for the state of the car.

Even after all the sweet talk by them saying we would do the best work , and they showed me another punto almost in the same state. But when I saw the welding done and all , it didn't impress us. By then my wife was Adamant saying that , the car had to be moved to Bangalore. And I felt that was the right thing to do.

We called up all the contacts the URS Kar and Fiat RSA gave for a flat bed towing, And I got one for 35RS/KM and they do charge up and Down distance Plus the Toll for the nice road.
-----------------------
if Somebody is looking for it Please take a note

Mr.Mahadev : (Flat Bed) - 35/KM - 09902633094 ( Went with him)
Mr.Lakshmi : " " - 9980065169
------------------------

At 1.00 PM They loaded the car onto the ramp using 9K winch , and tied it using the harness, and they let us travel in the stationed tumblr, back seat asking us do not release handbreak and gear.

We reached Vecto in the evening at 5.15PM. Seeing the clean service bay of the Vecto was such a huge relief. And we felt it was the right decision to bring the car to Bangalore.

MR.Santhosh asked us to leave the car to them and they would take care of him ( Our Tumblr) and they would give us the estimate which can be used to file to oriental. And the guy said , if it had been future Generale, we could have gone for Cashless Claim !!! . I was surprised to hear about cashless claim. Mentioned it might take 1.5 to 2 months to get the car back in the pristine condition.

That was the end of another day,picked up an auto to leave us in Bellandur and left.

Guys, I would start replying to individual comments , thanks a ton my dear friends because your comments and suggestions are making the transition easier.
----------------------------------
P.S: If any of us are wondering for what the TUMBLR stands for this , I know I was thinking over my head. But finally it saved us ( Our Tumblr, not the one Bruce Wayne drives )
Attached Thumbnails
My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree-newbatmobilethetumbler485x728.jpg  

TheHkrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 12:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Read your thread. Good to know that you and your other (better) half were unhurt. You did the right thing by taking the car to Bangalore where you can have a close watch, and if need be, crack a whip as well.
Quote:
P.S: If any of us are wondering for what the TUMBLR stands for this , I know I was thinking over my head. But finally it saved us ( Our Tumblr, not the one Bruce Wayne drives )
PPS: The Tumblr that Bruce Wayne drives, handles like crap (Check Top-Gear reviews)
Old 6th November 2013, 13:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Guys , Thanks for all the wishes.

At 1.00 PM They loaded the car onto the ramp using 9K winch , and tied it using the harness, and they let us travel in the stationed tumblr, back seat asking us do not release handbreak and gear.
Good to know that the car is back to Bangalore and being attended.Thanks for pointing out how the car was loaded onto a flat bed as I had this question in my previous post as well, and this point has answered it .
Old 6th November 2013, 15:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
We reached Vecto in the evening at 5.15PM. Seeing the clean service bay of the Vecto was such a huge relief. And we felt it was the right decision to bring the car to Bangalore.
Indeed it is a good decision. You were not comfortable with the work they (URS Kars) did on the other Punto. The other advantage is now the car is nearby your location so you can go and have a look at it while it is being repaired.

The only disadvantage is, there is no cashless facility available. So you have to wait till you get the estimate for the repair and you have to arrange the funds to settle the bill.

Most Viewed