Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 14:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20

Just recd these pics from my cousin.
Dont know where and when this happened. He recd this on whatsapp from his friend.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131119_144105.png
Views: 23863
Size:  502.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131119_144118.png
Views: 29310
Size:  532.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131119_144132.png
Views: 38163
Size:  642.8 KB

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 19th November 2013 at 14:44.
h@r$h@l is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 14:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Dont know where and when this happened. He recd this on whatsapp from his friend.
Holy God !!
That must be quite some speed of the car, for the guardrail to pierce through the entire car !!!
Looks absolutely fatal !! Awaiting further confirmed reports.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Picture this:

A broken guardrail (for whatever reason) hanging loose protruding right onto the fast lane.

A car attempting to overtake a truck and coming out onto the fast lane and suddenly spotting this broken rail.

(Remember how difficult it is during many drives even within the city to ascertain the length of a protruding object on a truck : Electric Pole, construction materials etc etc. And these days, even the practice of hanging a cloth or a polythene bad is non existent)

Hence, Even if one is at 60kmph, it is so logical to say that judgement and subsequently the reaction time would be minimal in this case and the Guardrail would have hit the windscreen first, simply pierced through it and come out on the other side through the rear glass irrespective of the fact whether the driver manages to brake because the rail has already pierced through the front.

Looking at the pictures, it is very difficult to assess how it has happened considering the fact that its a broken rail (may have been lying that way since a few hours, who knows??).

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th November 2013 at 15:09.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 15:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Left side of the car does not show any damage, which would not have been the case if it was side-swapped . Surprises me how the car ended up in this condition. By the look of it seems a fatal accident for driver.
Any information on location of accident?
Old 19th November 2013, 15:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That i20 pic sends shivers down my spine. If the guard rail had hit the engine then it would not have been such a gruesome accident!
Old 19th November 2013, 15:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the right fender smashed into the guard rail (Bonnet bent) causing the rail ahead to dislodge and pierce into the car. Terrible visuals. :(
Old 19th November 2013, 16:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Attachment 1168464

If the driver is wearing seat belt, there is no chance in the world that he could have gotten out of the way of guard-rails.

I just hope to be proven wrong here.

Not sure, but, slightly open driver door (noticed that rear door is shut) could hint towards a miracle.
Old 19th November 2013, 16:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

My guess regarding the i20 crash , is that the driver escaped and was not buckled up either.

The reason being , there is no trace of the beam coming in contact with a person. No stains at the rear end of it, nor anywhere on it.
My guess is the driver ducked in time.

Regards
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:54   #9
BHPian

This i20 accident reminds me of Robert Kubica's rally accident a few years ago. I just hope the driver is ok. This probably happened because the guard rail ends were not properly grouted while leaving a gap in the median. I just wish people took safety seriously in this country.
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 17:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Left side of the car does not show any damage, which would not have been the case if it was side-swapped . Surprises me how the car ended up in this condition. By the look of it seems a fatal accident for driver.
Any information on location of accident?
Tip of the guard rail that pierced through the car doesn't seem to have any blood stains. I hope the driver managed to evade the path of the rail by leaning himself to the door or so.

Going by the registration on the car and a truck in the background, it seems to be in MH. Someone from around Mumbai/Pune might be able to identify the highway with guard rails in the divider/median. I haven't seen such a construction in many places.
Old 19th November 2013, 19:38   #11
BHPian

Oh God ... Guard rails are supposed to save lives, not take them. Looking at this, now, I have to keep a watch on guardrails too whiel driving. Was searching for news on this accident and happened to find the below news item with a similar accident. Looks like this is not a one off and not in India only.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/G...199918531.html

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 19th November 2013 at 19:39. Reason: spelling
Old 20th November 2013, 12:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Here is the snapshot from the news report from ToI, Mumbai edition.
So it was indeed the Mumbai-Ahmedabad NH8 Section was guessed.

The railing has pierced after the car crashed into the median is what the report says below:
Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-accident.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 15:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
^^ Here is the snapshot from the news report from ToI, Mumbai edition. So it was indeed the Mumbai-Ahmedabad NH8 Section was guessed. The railing has pierced after the car crashed into the median is what the report says below:
Some more photos taken by a friend who passed by this road where this very unfortunate accident happened. The pics are really very disturbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-image2969448845.jpg  

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-image505733893.jpg  

Last edited by rahulk2510 : 20th November 2013 at 15:20.
Old 20th November 2013, 17:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is right on the median and from the pics it looks more like a case of driver error and not the railing protruding out. Probably loss of control due to sleep or cell phone use?
Old 20th November 2013, 18:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm, I'm one of the ones who's always against endless speculation in this thread <Blush>

So here's my theory:

Barrier is complete and whole before accident.

Car strikes barrier, breaking it at a join (that is a clean end we see there). It is levered up and out by the car, piercing the window. The continuing movement of the car pulls it even further.

Horrible, gruesome way to die. Might have been just one moment's inattention, steering error, or tiredness --- or cell phone, as drmohitg just suggested. Driver error indeed.

One has to wonder about the design and structure of the barrier. Designed, perhaps, to look ok, but without thought to what actually happens when it gets hit.

If I remember right, UK motorway barriers are often steel cables. They are designed to absorb as much collision energy as possible. it must be a complex problem: what we see here is certainly not desired, but allowing a vehicle to break through would be bad, as would bouncing it back into the path of other vehicles.

That's my speculation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed