Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 18:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Brutal Accident: Divider railing pierces through Hyundai i20

I am a regular on this highway. Its really a shock to watch this happen. It could happen to anybody.

Another great threat exists on Palm Beach Road at Navi Mumbai. On some turns, the barrier actually has gaps. These are like 2' cuts made to the barrier and locals use to cross the road. I am dead sure that any car that crashes into this will slide along the barrier and then be pierced when it reaches that gap. I have seen the barriers being installed and can confirmed that they were installed like this.

Seriously man, one should sue the government for all this.
Old 21st November 2013, 18:41   #32
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Awful, scary accident. , May his soul RIP.

While we still don't know the cause of the accident, just wondering about this:
I've mostly seen Guard rails used on left edges of the road.
Using them on the divider can itself become a possible threat to safety if it were to cut up and protrude onto the road Is this kind of guard rail installation (on divider) common on the NH8 route ?

Last edited by NPV : 21st November 2013 at 18:43.
Old 21st November 2013, 18:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
I have an idea, why not create waypoints or POIs on google maps and have some sort of shared map with such barriers we come across marked by each and every one of us whenever we come across them?
Given that our potholes map and list of obstructions change almost on a daily basis, that would be an impossible feat.

A better idea would be to have a "Wall of Shame" images thread to point out the glaring risks and dangers that we notice on our nation's pathetic roads. Also, suggest a better design (wherever required).

We can then hope some govt. worker or the media take notice. Or we raise the issue with someone in the government through any available constitutional tools.

Last edited by hellmet : 21st November 2013 at 18:53.
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 20:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20

A very sad and gory incident.

We scrap and throw away old tyres.

Indeed, such sharp protruding objects on the highway are killers. The road construction and maintenance authorities should share most of the blame.

On a case by case basis, maybe someone who hits the guard rails may have been careless. But if the visibility is low at a certain time here, or if at night sometimes when blinded by oncoming headlights, such accidents can always happen for little fault of the driver.

If old truck and bus or even car/ SUV tyres are planted along the periphery of such guard rails and painted regularly in fluorescent colours, some lives can surely be saved.

Used tyres are available in hundreds and cost almost nothing, but are life savers. Motorists can also be requested to donate old tyres for a good cause.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 20:28   #35
BHPian

As mentioned by others above, it is an epic failure on the the infrastructure level. It does look like the edges were left open. This should be treated equal to attempt to murder for such a design on a highway. Although not shockingly we see steel bars jutting out the center pointing right at the oncoming traffic waiting for that one person whose lucky day it is.

And analyzing all the other railing test videos and pics, I can't for the life of me figure out why they are at that height/windshield level?

These are couple of videos I found showing how a steel barrier is expected to work:

The contractor should be held accountable for this negligence.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 22:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely horrible.

It definitely seems driver error/inattention and wee bit of bad luck. He went and hit exactly where the beams are screwed on together. The impact made them come off. I guess it wouldn't have been so gruesome if he hit somewhere in the middle.
Old 21st November 2013, 22:25   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Cyrus_the_virus posts videos showing how "the real thing" is supposed to work.

There can be so much difference between the real thing and something that is meant to look like it. Maybe the persons specifying, buying, etc are not aware of the proper design. The just want a road that looks the part, and gets the tag "World-class."
Old 21st November 2013, 22:57   #38
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The guardrail has scraped the bonnet and has pierced through just the front and rear glasses. I don't think a lot of momentum is needed for that.
Santosh Sir, the rail did enter through the windshield but at the rear it has pierced through the car's body (rear column).

One hell of an accident indeed. Rest in Peace...

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 23:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

These are couple of videos I found showing how a steel barrier is expected to work. The contractor should be held accountable for this negligence.
How different from how the flex beams should actually behave! They were similar in looks alone. Seeing those barriers on the highways I used to feel comfortable because of how safe it looks. They really do look reassuring, and anyone would expect the crash being dampened by them.

Seeing the pictures in detail, I got some doubts:

1. Are the gaps between the supporting posts too much in this case(on our highways in general)?

Looks like the barrier didn't have the strength to stand the impact of an accident in any way.

There should be enough posts supporting the barrier so that even in case of a crash the barricade doesn't collapse at once but instead dampens the effect of the crash. But here the gap seems bigger than it should be, and much bigger than how it is in the video.

If there are frequent supporting posts, the horizontal barrier sections will not get separated from the posts just like that.

2. The method of fitting the barrier to the posts looks very feeble. If there's a deformation in the area near the head of the bolts, which is very much expected in case of a crash, it'll easily come off. That has happened in this particular case - with almost all the bolts. We can see bigger holes at the position of the bolts. And the steel plate has so easily come off!

3. I've attached some pictures of flex beams, along with the actual one in this accident. Below points are very obvious:

i. In NONE of the other cases a car can hit the barrier so that the car's bonnet will slide under the horizontal barrier or hit the vertical post. In all the pictures the barrier is placed low so that the car's hood will hit it. In case of this accident, the barricade is placed a few feet up from the road surface - upon the median. The i20 managed to slide under it even after going over the divider. Isn't this a very serious design/implementation fault? This height is good for trucks or pick-ups. For most normal-height car, this is directly in level to the driver's head!

ii. The posts are so close that even a high speed crash will not tear the barrier too much. The posts and the barrier are taking the impact as a single unit. The barrier is bolted strongly to the posts.

iii. When more height is to be covered, they use extra railing

iv. When railings are overlapped, they're done in the direction of the traffic [ It's not visible from the accident pictures how it had been there, but in the third pic below, overlap is given in the correct direction(the red car driving in same direction as the overlap. This can be fatal if not followed)]

This incident is something really scary! I don't think the 'imitation' flex beams are fitted by experts anywhere on Indian roads. Noone who knows anything about flex beams will do this, I feel.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting a full post which contains pics and videos as it inconveniences mobile and small screen users. I have removed the video links from the quoted post.
Attached Thumbnails
Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-banner_serpentine_big.jpg  

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-flexbeam-2.jpg  

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-flexbeam_guardrail.jpg  

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-flexbeam.jpg  

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-highwaysafetyproducts.jpg  

Brutal Accident: Divider railing (Guardrail) pierces through Hyundai i20-forumrunner_20131119_144132.png.jpeg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd November 2013 at 10:39. Reason: video links from quoted post removed
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:27   #40
BHPian

Really horrible one! God bless the soul.

An eye opener for many of us to remind ourselves of dangerous maneuver such as reckless overtaking and the road raging. The case seems to be of a high speed incident.

I have another word of advise for Vasai Virar stretch of the NH8 where this accident seems to have happened. Mind your speed here. This stretch has many u turns, sudden exits, auto Rickshawale, buses taking sudden turns. You will find even high number of people trying to cross highway as there is no adequate tunnels or Foot over bridges. So I would be extra careful before VIRAR STATION exit has passed always! I am a frequent traveller here and this is my observation.
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:36   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

That is real bad. RIP.

Similar accidents take place by protuding steel rods from carriers. I hope people, both driving behind & those carrying such stuffs like steel rods/ TMT bars in a truck protuding out be extra careful. It's too optimistic (& useless) to tell people carrying stuff like these to load them in a vehicle which can fully accommodate them, but the people trailing such carriers should be extremely careful as it becomes very difficult to sight & estimate the correct gap between the protuding stuff & your car/ bike.
My advise: keep distance, and just get away from them by overtaking as soon as the traffic permits. Never keep trailing such vehicles for long.
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:35   #42
BHPian

I am again & again thinking that if he was driving a SUV he would have been safe. Hatches & sedans low height are fatal in head on collisions i guess.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:52   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hatches & sedans low height are fatal in head on collisions i guess.
Depends on the hight of the thing you collide with!

In any given accident, one can name all the ifs, buts and might-have-beens. In general, no, I doubt that SUVs are any safer in a serious collision.

In this particular accident, all the variables had to line up, from barrier design/build through vehicle size and shape to whatever it was that caused the crash. Sadly, they did
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:25   #44
BHPian

OMG! Totally scary, sent shivers down my spine.
May his soul rest in peace.

Something that is intended to protect took up a life. Its gross negligence, little accountability, siphoning of funds and little value for a citizens life that lead to this.
All that toll money is a scam.

I dont think other cars would have fared any better.
Also makes me wonder what made the driver swing his car to the extreme right, was it some stupid biker who leaned into his path, was it some idoit truckker or arrogant state bus driver who wedged him pushing him into the railing.
Many lack road sense and respect.

I am frequently on the highways and earlier I used to proudly feel that it is my skill and experience that pulled me out of these situations which I faced regularly. Over time after have many more close shaves I realized I am just plain lucky.
Of late I make a conscious effort not to speed over 120 kmph on open roads no matter what car I drive, just gives me a better chance.

Of the many experiences I would like to share one that rattled me for a long time, was driving on the NH4 from Bangalore returning to Goa, back in 2009 in my friends Swift Vdi. It was relatively new then and we were in a tearing hurry to reach Goa before day break, constantly doing 140 - 160 kmph speeds.

On a particular open stretch I was quickly closing the gap between me and an Indica ahead of me which was behind a trailer. The Indica guy must have been about 100kmph. The road was a four (2x2) lane and both of us were driving on the white markers dividing the lanes. Suddenly the Indica chose to swerve right despite me flashing lights from a distance to indicate my intention to sweep past both. I stepped of the gas as I was already carrying a lot of speed which in hind sight helped me in the next 2 mins. I let the Swift roll without braking wanting to overtake the Indica in a moment and closing fast.

As I was overtaking the trailer, it took an abrupt turn left and its then I noticed right in front of the Indica was a heap of rubble pilled up in the middle on the expressway where I would be in a few seconds.
Since the Trailer was blocking the veiw and it was a mild left hander neither the Indica nor me realized while overtaking the trailer, at least I had no visibility. Also the 'diversion ahead' sign was poorly illuminated and covered in muck and was on a silly bamboo pole on the left side of the road.

I am not sure whether the Indica saw the diversion sign in time but I was trapped. Ahead of me was an Indica slower than me braking and turning left and ahead of the Indica was this road dug up.

It was a combination of factors that helped me, more than the brakes I pressed the horn with all my weight, downshifted, cut to the left of the Indica wanting to use the maximum possible free road and slammed the brakes, hoping the Indica does not crash into me, the swift fish tailed but miraculously stopped short of the rubble, plumes of dust went up and smell of burnt rubber around.
Fortunately for me the Indica driver had realized the situation I was in and corrected his line and braked hard going straight.

I was visibily shaken and got off the car standing like a ghost in the dust cloud.
I climbed the rubble and beyond it was a trench. I am not sure how the car would have survived going through all that at 100+ had I not slowed unintentionally.

Our roads are death traps in waiting and the authorities care less. I was just lucky, considering that Swift did not have both ABS and Airbags, I think its those new tires that saved me, also I normally keep a hand on the gear stick and one on the steering boss and swift has a huge area on the steering acting as the horn.
But importantly there was no dog, cow, biker or idiot driver in front of me that very moment and that Indica guy was a taxi.

Cut to today both my cars have ABS and Airbags but such experiences made me wiser on the road and I have not driven faster after that trip where I had touched 190 kmph on the speedo of the Swift on my onward journey.
For me it is difficult to practice being a monk but I remind myself - Speed thrills but kills. A lot of things could wrong where I was lucky.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 22nd November 2013 at 22:31.
s_pphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 02:17   #45
BHPian

This is the sole reason I never do highway runs in a low slung car and always prefer an SUV. This isnt the only problem in India. If we look at the trucks, buses and trolleys most of them are high enough for a sedan or a hatchback to go under it. The underride guards dont really do their work in trucks and once the car is under the truck,bus or lorrey there is no chance the person sitting in front is going to survive. There is no barrier to slow down the car and the first thing that really is the barrier are the a pillars and winshield. So pretty much dead

I once had a friend of mine get into an accident head on with a truck and if he wasnt in a SUV (Scorpio) there would be no chance he would survive. The engine came in through the dashboard. That was due to some idiot trying to save fuel to avoid going all the way for a U turn and go into wrong direction on the Highway.

Most Viewed