Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:54   #31
BHPian

Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Thanks guys for all your wishes it really means a lot. I have a great news today bajaj has given me a offer for 7 lakhs I jave decided to go for it since it clears my loan will have to pay 10k to clear parking and estimate charges which I can claim for third party later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
This is what a 5 star NCAP (dezire) can do to your safety as against a 1.5 star NCAP(accent). But, still surprised to see how your dad broke his leg, when the majority of the impact seems to be on the passenger side. Further, 3 point seatbelts and anti submarine seats must have resisted him sliding forward. Looks like there was intrusion of engine components from firewall into the cabin.
No none of the engine components entered the cabin. In fact the dashboard was intact. My dad had a leg injury since his leg was on the clutch when this happened. When the accent collided the clutch broke and the pedal became free and went right in and due to the impact his leg went into the brake pedal when it came back from the clutch.

Last edited by rockporiom : 3rd December 2013 at 12:57.
rockporiom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:03   #32
BHPian

Thats a scary accident and I am glad that your dad is safe. Not so fortunate for accent. Lately I spend a lot of time in Ahmadabad and I am seeing an increase in number of Accents which is a bit surprising.

My aunt had a similar accident with Innova (Our car) and wagon R on opposite side at Baroda. My aunt tried saving a kid and the result was similar, luckily everyone lived.

Again seat belts and airbags were the saviors. I would definable urge people go for cars with minimum 2 airbags and abs. Here is the thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-returned.html
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:21   #33
BHPian

No offence, but u did not have your dad's number in your phone? He called from someone else's phone?
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thank god your dad just came off with a broken leg and some bad memories. Hats off to the car which took the impact well and protected its passenger. All these incidents which have saved passengers due to safety equipment should actually make someone in the higher echelons sit up and notice that these kind of equipments should be standard for all cars sold and not optional.

The earlier i20 incident with the guard rail going right through showing bad unscientific construction and this incident wherein safety equipment saved the passenger may be unrelated but shows how lives can be saved on our highways. As a community we should start some awareness program. Just a thought.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:39   #35
BHPian

Glad to know that your dad is safe. Usually it's difficult to convince elder people about wearing the seat belt all the time. Great that your dad was keen in using it. His carefulness got rewarded properly! Head-ons are one of the bizarre nightmares we can have on the road!

Even when we boast about all international brands and models coming to India, we should remember that the flavours are very different in most of the cases. Safely features like airbag and ABS are mandatory in many of the countries, and if I remember right even Nano has an airbag developed for international markets. But here those safety features are usually available only in the top end variants.

Active and passive safety features should be first among the list of options on any car, in my opinion. We can upgrade alloys, audio, seats, chrome or anything else, but it's not easy to fit safety features like ABS or airbags.

I used to drive different cars with different sizes and safety features, on the same road. But I always keep that in mind, and and speed is very much under control, based on which vehicle I'm driving.

Besides, due to the fear of animals (of various size and shapes) and pedestrians(with varying levels of sanity and concern) popping out all of a sudden from the plants on the divider and from nearby bushes, I always keep an eye on the sides and median and slow down at the slightest of doubt I get. Most of the times, on a 6-lane road(3+3), I feel it's safest to cruise through the middle lane at medium speeds, as I get a buffer space for corrections on both the sides.
Joe M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:23   #36
BHPian

Wishing your dad a speedy recovery and I hope he gets back to driving soon, may be little bit of counselling will help.
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:08   #37
BHPian

This post has sent shivers down my spine. I wish your dad a speedy recovery. Like GTO said i am one of those idiots who skipped airbag for saving few bucks.
Will definitely buy my next car with airbags.
This post has been an eyeopener.
igybeck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
No offence, but u did not have your dad's number in your phone? He called from someone else's phone?
If you note I asked him whose number is this. That clearly states that it was someone esle's number to be more precise a bystanders phone number as dad had forgotten his phone at home.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:44   #39
BHPian

Very sorry to hear about the horrifying incident but also glad that your dad survived such a nasty crash. Wish your dad a speedy recovery.

And yes, lesson to be taken for the multitude of those who choose to ignore, seat-belts and air-bags do save lives. Sad but true that most still need a law to enforce use of seat-belts and helmets.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:51   #40
BHPian

Good to hear that your father is OK and on a recovery path.

A good thread for people who still think Air-Bags are just for money-making to the manufacturers.

I am planning on buying my first car within the next 3-4 months and the first criteria for me is Airbags (Both Driver & Passenger Side) and ABS. I would not mind not having an entertainment system in my car, because I can certainly get it installed 6 months down the line, if I fall short of money or maybe even a better one than the ones given by the Manufacturer.

But you cannot get Airbags or ABS installed at a later date.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the scariest type of accident, where a car from the opposite side jumps the median and comes right at you. Little one can do then, except hope you're in a safe car.
Very true GTO. it is sad to see that Alto which is one of the largest selling cars in India, would be a sitting duck in such incidents. It is high time we got our priorities right
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
bajaj has given me a offer for 7 lakhs
That's one scary accident. Glad to know your Dad is safe. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Can you please explain why are you being offered lesser amount than the IDV since you have a Zero Dep policy.
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
That's one scary accident. Glad to know your Dad is safe. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Can you please explain why are you being offered lesser amount than the IDV since you have a Zero Dep policy.
The car has not been declared total loss and i am getting cash loss on net salvage value. The repair bill is not more than 75% of I.D.V. according to insurance company as according to their evaluation it comes to 4 lakhs.

Last edited by rockporiom : 3rd December 2013 at 19:35.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:47   #44
BHPian

Wishing a speedy recovery to your Dad.
I'm not going to purchase any car without any Airbags in future.
However, having safety features itself is not sufficient. One also needs to be familiar about when and how will they deploy and Dos and Donts for the same. I wonder how many of us would have actually read the car manual.
Eg- If the car has air bags, one should never allow young children (till a certain Height) to be seated in the Front passenger seat. They should always be seated at the rear seat. Also, the rear seat occupants should always wear seat belt.
I find it very funny when sometimes during my market visit, the driver literally sits in front of the seat belt ie its behind his back and I buckle up in the rear seat. The guy sheepishly tells me not to put the belt saying that " yahan hawaldar nahin pakdega"!!!!

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 3rd December 2013 at 21:49.
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Wishing a speedy recovery to your Dad.
I'm not going to purchase any car without any Airbags in future.
However, having safety features itself is not sufficient. One also needs to be familiar about when and how will they deploy and Dos and Donts for the same. I wonder how many of us would have actually read the car manual.
Eg- If the car has air bags, one should never allow young children (till a certain Height) to be seated in the Front passenger seat. They should always be seated at the rear seat. Also, the rear seat occupants should always wear seat belt.
I find it very funny when sometimes during my market visit, the driver literally sits in front of the seat belt ie its behind his back and I buckle up in the rear seat. The guy sheepishly tells me not to put the belt saying that " yahan hawaldar nahin pakdega"!!!!
In maruti cars or for that matter of fact in most of the cars having airbags. The rules are put on sun visor for reference. The rules are:

1. Always wear seatbelts since airbags do not deploy if seatbelt is not worn.
2. Children below 11 years should be seated at the back since it is the safest place for them.
3. Do not place rear facing child seat on front seat since it can cause grave injury or death.

call me strange but I order the owners manual one day before taking delivery so that I can read it and when I couldn't get a manual for the kizashi downloaded it and studied it well. It may look tedious but helps in understanding the car better.

Last edited by rockporiom : 3rd December 2013 at 22:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks