Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 10:00   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the scariest type of accident, where a car from the opposite side jumps the median and comes right at you. Little one can do then, except hope you're in a safe car.
True. I have heard many friends say- airbags and ABS are not required in the city or good driver doesn't need these safety devices.

Hope this thread educates a few people more.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 10:19   #92
BHPian

Re: My Dzire met with an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True. I have heard many friends say- airbags and ABS are not required in the city or good driver doesn't need these safety devices.

Hope this thread educates a few people more.
Your signature "zindagi na milegi dobara" itself states the importance of seatbelts, airbags and other safety devices. A car should have at least a driver airbag and abs for safety. In this case must say the fabia was a responsible car as in having a driver airbag even in base model.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 12:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post

There was an incident where you had to brake really hard, and the kids hurt themselves.(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post

On as to what happened next I hope there wasn't a collision.
Nothing so drastic, guys. Thank God! They went "comfortably" in a hired Innova. I was not joking when I said that "I refuse to drive on highways if anyone in my car is not wearing a belt." It may not be the law as yet, but that is the law in my car.

Quote:

Let's make one thing clear and hope everyone agrees to this is that when you are travelling at high speeds and have a collision the airbags, crumple zones, Collapsible steering are all useless if you are not wearing seatbelts.
Exactly! Even the cabin is designed in such a way that it protects the occupants. They only condition is that the occupants remain in their seats. Most injuries/fatalities happen because the body is thrown against various objects either in the car or outside it.

I insist on all passengers wearing seat belts, since it is not just about their safety. In an accident, they could become missiles and injure others in the car!

We have to train everyone and especially our children in such a way that wearing a seat belt as soon as they enter any car becomes as natural as wearing footwear when they leave the house.

Last edited by lapsi : 6th December 2013 at 12:17.
lapsi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 12:24   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
Nothing so drastic, guys. Thank God! They went "comfortably" in a hired Innova. I was not joking when I said that "I refuse to drive on highways if anyone in my car is not wearing a belt." It may not be the law as yet, but that is the law in my car.

Exactly! Even the cabin is designed in such a way that it protects the occupants. They only condition is that the occupants remain in their seats. Most injuries/fatalities happen because the body is thrown against various objects either in the car or outside it.

I insist on all passengers wearing seat belts, since it is not just about their safety. In an accident, they could become missiles and injure others in the car!

We have to train everyone and especially our children in such a way that wearing a seat belt as soon as they enter any car becomes as natural as wearing footwear when they leave the house.

+1000 to what you did. Salute you man. People should take wearing seatbelts seriously.
Old 6th December 2013, 13:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hey man, I thought that previous quote from google solved your doubts. Belive me man the chances of eye injury is very low and next to negligible. If you still have doubts would provide you with more sources
======================
Another offending thing you said was lowly zdi what do you mean by that. It was the car that saved my dad's life not any stupid fate. My dad saved himself because of his habit of wearing seatbelts even if it is 100m and buying cars that have airbags and abs as must. If he had beliveed in fate like you and gone for a ldi to save some dough he would I don't want to mention it.
I totally agree with you on all your points here. I can say here that when I picked up my Qualis from the showroom in 2000, even though there was no seatbelt rule in force, I had buckled up and so did my wife, alongside me. It has become such a habit that I would feel something is missing if I were to start off without it in place. I've pre-booked the new City just now and after reading all these posts I too am going to insist that all rear passengers also buckle up, or else. The Qualis doesn't have rear seat belts so couldn't do so till now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th December 2013 at 13:14.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 14:52   #96
BHPian

Rockporiom,
Glad to hear that your dad is recovering well. This thread highlights how important the safety features on a vehicle is. More often than not some us end up not giving safety features the importance it deserves.
If seatbelts are mandatory in all vehicles , why is it that airbags are not? if providing such features is going to add to the cost then so be it. It will have to be borne by all the manufacturers who without doubt will pass it on to the consumer. It is indeed a very ridiculous situation if this decision is left to the manufacturer so that he can offer it as an option.
I have learnt a lot from this thread. God help the next person who sits in my car without wearing the seat belt! My next car will have airbags and ABS and I will work on replacing my wife's Alto with a vehicle fitted with airbags.
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 15:20   #97
BHPian

Hey guys had a close call today with my kizashi was picking up my bro from school and returning. I was at about 70 km/h perfectly within speed limits since it was a highway. I was following a figo on the left lane when suddenly the figo changed lane and in front of me was a scooter right in the middle of the lane and a guy standing on the white line Swerved and felt the abs and esp kick in skidded and stopped a little ahead. Gave the guy a good piece of my mind some guys started beating him up. I just left after scolding him and giving him selective words.

Last edited by Stratos : 6th December 2013 at 17:13. Reason: Edited several spelling errors.
Old 7th December 2013, 16:25   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buddy, you missed the most obvious fact : Diana's bodyguard was the ONLY person in that S-Class to wear a seat-belt...and he walked out alive. The other 3 (all dead) didn't buckle up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Thanks IshaanIan for your post. However, I want Lifebuoy to take offence and stop posting such irrational posts on a responsible forum.

By the way, the ill fated Merc was being driven at more than double the speed limit on that stretch by apparently a drunk driver.
Quote:

You surely are delusional man. How can you even compare those incidents with this one. How the hell can you drive on roads just by thinking about fate. This is another stupid reason for not wearing seatbelts. If you think airbags and seatbelts don't matter you are free not to opt for them but don't give others wrong advice just because you believe that fate will decide whether it's your day or not. Your post was definately offending and misguiding. Please get your facts right before posting. If all manufacturers start thinking like you god alone knows by how much the death rate would increase.

What you are saying in the post is like a child saying "I believe in superman so if I jump from the building he will save me."

Another offending thing you said was lowly zdi what do you mean by that. It was the car that saved my dad's life not any stupid fate. My dad saved himself because of his habit of wearing seatbelts even if it is 100m and buying cars that have airbags and abs as must. If he had beliveed in fate like you and gone for a ldi to save some dough he would I don't want to mention it.
Looks like a classic case of mis-interpretation. PLease read my post carefully, I have neither said nor recommended that seat belts or other safety devices should not be there and should not be used, or gave any advise in that direction.

Secondly, I am one person who ALWAYS uses the seat belt, irrespective of the area or distance I'm driving in. It's a habit now.

Thirdly, the "lowly" was a relative term in comparison to a much more expensive variety, there's no relation whatsoever to the features that protected your dad in this incident. There's no parallel that I have drawn to an LDi not doing its bit in terms of safety in this incident, that's your view.

What I wanted to bring out, but missed sorely, is what GTO has brought out - wearing of seat belts as a habit. And the fact that an expensive variety of car with superior safety gadgets may not save you if you are not safety conscious yourself (the Merc and Lamborghini examples were for that).

Lastly, I reaffirm MY belief, which is perfectly logical and rational - none of us are above fate / destiny. You will catch the bus on the destined day and that's the cycle of life. (a simple truth - how one views it is what has caused the confusion, is my humble guess).
Old 7th December 2013, 17:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Looks like a classic case of mis-interpretation. PLease read my post carefully, I have neither said nor recommended that seat belts or other safety devices should not be there and should not be used, or gave any advise in that direction.

Secondly, I am one person who ALWAYS uses the seat belt, irrespective of the area or distance I'm driving in. It's a habit now.

Thirdly, the "lowly" was a relative term in comparison to a much more expensive variety, there's no relation whatsoever to the features that protected your dad in this incident. There's no parallel that I have drawn to an LDi not doing its bit in terms of safety in this incident, that's your view.

What I wanted to bring out, but missed sorely, is what GTO has brought out - wearing of seat belts as a habit. And the fact that an expensive variety of car with superior safety gadgets may not save you if you are not safety conscious yourself (the Merc and Lamborghini examples were for that).

Lastly, I reaffirm MY belief, which is perfectly logical and rational - none of us are above fate / destiny. You will catch the bus on the destined day and that's the cycle of life. (a simple truth - how one views it is what has caused the confusion, is my humble guess).
Keeping fate aside

May I know what did you mean by

Quote:
Bags or no bags the dircection of impact...
Did you mean to say that if there were no airbags the result would have been the same in this case or did I misinterprete you again?

As GTO said the difference of not having an airbag would have been a cracked skull and in this case also broken ribs.
Old 7th December 2013, 18:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Keeping fate aside

May I know what did you mean by airbags or no airbags...

Quote:

I reaffirm MY belief, which is perfectly logical and rational - none of us are above fate / destiny. You will catch the bus on the destined day and that's the cycle of life.

As I understand it, his statements are general and not at all with reference to this particular incident and the point he is trying to make is this:

You can do everything right, have a car with the highest safety rating, you make sure that everyone is belted, your car has half a dozen or more air bags, your tyre pressure is right, your car is impeccably maintained, you are driving safely within the speed limit and basically you have done everything right.

Yet, despite all of this, if your time has come, then that's it. None of this will matter. Lots of things can happen which are not in your control and they may not even be imaginable. There are pure accidents maybe even freak accidents where someone dies without any fault of his. So basically, you cannot keep fate aside.

But it is just a point of view regarding fate and destiny and it is entirely upto an individual whether he wants to believe it or not.

I hope that I understood him correctly.

Last edited by lapsi : 7th December 2013 at 18:42.
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 19:17   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Keeping fate aside

Did you mean to say that if there were no airbags the result would have been the same in this case or did I misinterprete you again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
Lots of things can happen which are not in your control and they may not even be imaginable. There are pure accidents maybe even freak accidents where someone dies without any fault of his. So basically, you cannot keep fate aside.

I hope that I understood him correctly.
Spot On, @lapsi. One can simply fall into an open sewer and die in this country !

@rockporiom, What I could deduce from this incident is that the impact had probably been down the steering wheel well section, to have caused the broken knee. That's where the comment of "bags or no bags" and direction impact stem from, hope you get the point.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:27   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Spot On, @lapsi. One can simply fall into an open sewer and die in this country !

@rockporiom, What I could deduce from this incident is that the impact had probably been down the steering wheel well section, to have caused the broken knee. That's where the comment of "bags or no bags" and direction impact stem from, hope you get the point.
Mate if you read carefully I have clearly mentioned that it was my dad's ankle that broke into 9 pieces. His leg went into the brake pedal causing the injury. If there were no airbags he would have had broken ribs and definately a lot of internal injury. Survival chances would have gone down by more than 50%.

This is a video of the car being towed just to show the damage.

Last edited by rockporiom : 8th December 2013 at 19:40.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:40   #103

Quote:
It is mandatory for cars in most countries to have airbags and abs but in india because of the budget focused public the manufacturers make variants which do not have safety features so the car becomes affordable.
Thanks. I casually asked my father if our car had airbags, and to my horror, he said no I'm making sure the next car he buys has airbags for sure!

Quote:
dzire vdi= no abs + no airbags = 6.9 ex showroom

dzire zdi = abs + airbags = 7.9 ex showroom
That's a big difference, though! No wonder people don't stock up.
Old 8th December 2013, 22:50   #104
BHPian

Quite a scary incident.
I have always felt that the basic safety features should be the same across various variants of a car ; everything else is secondary and the cosmetic and convenience features should be the difference between top end and the "lowly" variants.
Old 9th December 2013, 00:15   #105

Quote:
Thanks man visited the doc today he says that the recovery is real fast and great so he is removing the external fixtures in half the time to be more previse on 11th plus I took him in the car today to the hospital and he was actually enjoying the ride. Looks like he will be back to the driver's seat sooner than later.
Please spend more time with your father, drive him around and assure him that all is well. The trauma takes a lot of time and I can say that with my own experience. After your father recovers be with him during the initial drives till he regains confidence of being independent just like before. All the best

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks