Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 12:47   #61
BHPian

Re: My Dzire met with an accident

My God, that was one horrific crash. Thank God your father is well.

Unfortunately in India we always think, it can't happen to us.In fact this very moment when I am discussing this with one of my colleagues he says - it's costlier by 1 lac .
For me, it was a very very simple decision when I bought my first car (Must say thanks to TBHP for that), it HAD to have ABS and Airbags. It's too small a price to pay for even that 1% of your safety chance.
Most people also forget the very fact that we buy cars 'because' its safer than a bike and then we don't go the whole hog.

The Govt. should put in some regulation for this as well, when will we learn? Life is too cheap, untill and unless you are either a hot shot business man or a politician in this country.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 4th December 2013 at 12:50.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:51   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
@rockporiom

Here's wishing your dad all the very best and a speedy recovery!! Nevertheless I fail to understand why you created a new thread with the description of the same accident that has been elaborately discussed already (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...otalled-6.html).

I do not mean to offend you but please excuse me if I missed any fine print.
The thread had gone completely off topic and i was unable to discuss how to deal with insurance and my experience so I made a thread dedicated to the accident only. Further the thread had converted into a japenese vs european build quality thread hence it was rightfully closed by GTO.

Last edited by rockporiom : 4th December 2013 at 12:55.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
it seems that an accent coming from the other side swerved in order to avoid a pig that came in his way. On swerving he hit the divider knocked 3 bushes down and landed on my car at triple digit speeds.
What saved my dad were seat belts which held him in place. My dad remembers a loud engine roar then a bang and then the airbag in his face. Can't even imagine what would have happened what would have happened if it wasn't a ZDI.

Good to hear that your dad's safe. Wish him a speedy recovery.

The instances of vehicles jumping dividers and hitting oncoming traffic are increasing. Not to mention stray animals / random folks who just jump out of the median and appear right in your path, if you happen to drive in the right most lane. As a habit, prefer driving in the middle lane. If anything, gives you those precious few seconds to take evasive action, if needed.

The importance of airbags, seatbelts has been underscored yet again. Do hope more and more people, on this forum and off it, realise their worth and opt for it.
Old 4th December 2013, 14:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
If you note I asked him whose number is this. That clearly states that it was someone esle's number to be more precise a bystanders phone number as dad had forgotten his phone at home.
Good, everyone should make it a point to by-heart a few emergency mobile numbers or may be even save it the old fashioned way with pen & paper & keep it in your wallet.
Old 4th December 2013, 14:24   #65
BHPian

@rockporium - Sorry to hear about the accident - am happy that your dad is ok physically.

After reading your post about the accident I have decided to wear seat belts from the start of the journey till the end. Till now, though I do wear belts from the start, I usually unfasten them during the last 3-4 minutes before reaching my destination . Now - I have decided that I'll wear the belts at all time.... And will show your post to any friends of mine who decide not to buy cars with ABS and air bags....
Old 4th December 2013, 15:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Very shocking incident Thank God your dad is safe and feeling sad about the people in the other car. Also wish your dad a speedy recovery

I think every car in this world should have an airbag for both driver and passenger considering safety as the primary feature more than any electronics. Say for instance, a power window can be replaced with an airbag which will save your life in any kind of breathe taking accidents.

IMHO car manufacturers should start thinking about the safety parameters more than looks or interiors.

I would certainly go with a top end car which has all the safety features and good build quality, as I am planning to buy an SUV(preferably XUV 5OO)
Old 4th December 2013, 16:34   #67
BHPian

Scary incident. Happy to know that your father is safe. RIP the other 2 souls.

Quote:
Bang on mate. The headrest broke off and went to the rear seat due to the impact from the airbags. If it was not for the head rest my dad would also have had neck injuries. The impact from the airbag broke the passenger seat and it became flat. It has become freely moving now.
The airbags save lives, no second thoughts.
If the impact from the airbag can cause damage to the seats, won't it cause injuries to the passenger specially those who always wear glasses?

Last edited by iVento : 4th December 2013 at 16:38.
Old 4th December 2013, 16:48   #68
BHPian

Hey guys an update with the insurance company. Took a masoom look and went there and it worked out they are now offering 7.1 lakhs. All my loan cleared

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Scary incident. Happy to know that your father is safe. RIP the other 2 souls.

The airbags save lives, no second thoughts.
If the impact from the airbag can cause damage to the seats, won't it cause injuries to the passenger specially those who always wear glasses?
It may cause injury if glasses are worn. The airbags will definately cause you chest pain for a week and in some cases even slight skin burns but would you prefer chest pain or broken ribs?

Last edited by rockporiom : 4th December 2013 at 16:57.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys an update with the insurance company. Took a masoom look and went there and it worked out they are now offering 7.1 lakhs. All my loan cleared

It may cause injury if glasses are worn. The airbags will definately cause you chest pain for a week and in some cases even slight skin burns but would you prefer chest pain or broken ribs?
True. But I was more concerned about the glasses.
In my case, I have to wear the prescribed glasses, always. In a similar situation, the glasses can break (due to the impact of the airbag) and cause injuries to the eyes?

I am stunned by the rockporiom's incident & now I feel I should have opted for the Airbags for my Waggy 2012 model. Though ABS+Airbag model was costing 45K extra, I was ready to spend that. But 4-5 month waiting period was not acceptable to me. So I went for a regular VxI. Now I regrets :(

Last edited by iVento : 4th December 2013 at 17:22.
Old 4th December 2013, 17:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:

I have to wear prescribed glasses always. In this situation, the glass can break & cause injuries to the eyes?
Found this on google may be this will solve your doubt

Quote:
An airbag may very likely save your life during an automobile accident, and contrary to popular belief, it won't do so at the price of your eyesight. A new study shows the risk of eye injury due to a rapidly deployed airbag is extremely low and wearing glasses won't necessarily increase that risk.

The study appears in the June issue of Ophthalmology.

Researchers analyzed 62 case reports and articles describing 110 cases of eye injury after airbag deployment. They compared it to data collected by two Finnish studies with 331 individuals involved in serious car accidents in which the survivors were seated behind airbags that deployed during the crash.

The study found that the risk of any type of eye injury caused by airbags was very slight at only 2.5%, and most of those injuries were very mild, such as an eyebrow cut or bruise. The risk of severe eye injury was even smaller, 0.4%, and none of those individuals lost their sight as a result of their injury.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Found this on google may be this will solve your doubt
Sigh of relief!
Thanks rockporiom for the quick update.

Last edited by iVento : 4th December 2013 at 17:30.
Old 4th December 2013, 17:36   #72
BHPian

Wishing your dad a speedy recovery. R.I.P the departed souls.

Quote:
Actually I should thank team bhp because of whom I made a firm decision that we either buy a car with abs and airbags or not buy a car at all.
Same here, if not for the awareness and urge created by TBHP, we wouldn't have opted for Ritz Zxi (Airbags and ABS).
Old 4th December 2013, 18:27   #73
BHPian

Don't mean to offend anyone but even the vismay shah case is an important example of airbags saves lives. He hit a tree at around 120 km/h and a bike and another car but walked out without even a scratch. No doubt he was reckless and is serving sentence because of that. But the very reason he is alive is airbags and seatbelts.

Last edited by rockporiom : 4th December 2013 at 18:30.
Old 4th December 2013, 19:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
He hit a tree at around 120 km/h and a bike and another car but walked out without even a scratch.
That's the basic difference. Most people tend to believe that they don't need airbags since they would be doing lower speeds. However, the fact is that though you may be doing sane speeds the impact depends on the speed of both the cars. That was the situation in this case. That shows that airbags are important even if you intend to do sane speeds and drive only in the city limits.
swarooppatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 21:01   #75
BHPian

Quote:
In my case, I have to wear the prescribed glasses, always. In a similar situation, the glasses can break (due to the impact of the airbag) and cause injuries to the eyes?
You can always wear the unbreakable plastic glasses. No matter what, they never shatter into pieces.

Hi Rockporiom, Feel really sad to read about the incident. Thankfully your dad is safe.

The one thing that acts as a barrier in getting the model with ABS/Airbags is the fact that the cost of that variant comes out to be in the close range of the base variant of the next segment car.
So, rather than going in for a model with these features, one "feels" like going a segment higher.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks