Team-BHP - Eyeglasses with Thick side bars = Blindspots
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Eyeglasses with Thick side bars = Blindspots (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/145263-eyeglasses-thick-side-bars-blindspots.html)

This is for spectacles users. One thing I have noticed of late is that the latest in-vogue plastic spectacles which have thick, large side bars can be a potential hazard while driving. I discovered it when I bought such a pair of specs recently. I usually wear frame-less specs with thin side bars (titanium) which does not block view on your side. But while I was driving wearing the specs with large side bars, I found out that it can block the view of an entire car on your “blind spot” while changing lanes. I always perform the “3-step lane-changing exercise” (check RVM, check ORVM and then do shoulder check or twisting the neck to see if there is any car on the “blind spot” very near the car). But I found out that the fashionable large-rim specs’ big side bars can actually block an entire car from your view, especially on the left side. Please share your experiences on “specs + driving”.

What you say is true. I do not wear glasses for vision, but I do wear sunglasses, and I have noticed this in one of my pairs.

However, since my mirrors are set to drastically reduce my blind-spots, my shoulder-checks are not that troublesome, though I do have to turn my head a bit more with these glasses than with my others.

Cheers

This will be something to remember when I go for my eye check-up and subsequent glasses prescription.

Please edit your post to modify "specs" to "spectacles". Specs is a typical Indian abbreviation that is best forgotten once you enter a global work force.

Anyway, "specs" on an automotive forum means something entirely different :D

I do all the three checks you've mentioned before lane-changing, but with a slight variance: instead of turning my head for a 'shoulder check', I prefer to move my body forward and check both ORVMs. I found this gives a better view than a shoulder check, as there is no blocking of view by the B pillar of the car, or by co-passengers.

If you use this method, any kind of glasses will not hinder your view.

+1 to vnabhi.

I don't wear spectacles for eyesight but frequently wear sunglasses. Although most of them have thin side bars, I have one pair with thick side glass (the funky ones! :D) and yes, you do miss bikers/vehicles just like a thick A-Pillar hinders visibility at junctions. While changing lanes, I don't face any problem as I look in the ORVMs rather than turning around (i.e. shoulder check) since I feel it would be more dangerous if a vehicle ahead of you brakes in an emergency situation.

Best way is to get blind spot mirrors (don't know what they are exactly called) that stick on to your ORVMs to give a better field of you at a blind spot.

PS. I don't feel the need of such checks (shoulder check and stuff) except while reversing in some tight parking area (even with reverse cam and sensors).

Quote:

Originally Posted by debmum (Post 3313347)
This is for spectacles users. One thing I have noticed of late is that the latest in-vogue plastic spectacles which have thick, large side bars can be a potential hazard while driving.

I am afraid this sounds like a load of rubbish. As someone who wears and has worn (all sorts of) prescription eyeglasses since the age of 4, I have never experienced such a potential hazard. True, anyone wearing prescription spectacles does have limited lateral visibility, but that is something you get used to over the years. As for sunglasses limiting lateral visibility, the atlanto-axial joint compensates more than adequately - in simple terms, you automatically turn your neck a little further.

How much does a full face helmet limit lateral visibility?

Don't air force pilots face this issue while using helmets?

How did some of us drive around all these years with dark films on our side windows?

What do you do about vehicles that are designed with extra-thick A/B/C/D pillars and gun slits for rear windows, that seriously limit rearward and lateral visibility, even if you don't wear spectacles/sunglasses? (The Swift is one such vehicle.)

So why blame the flat and wide temples of your pair of eyeglasses, which seems to be the fashion nowadays anyway?

^^ +1.

I wear eye glasses for vision, and instead of just glancing to the side, I turn my head, to avoid that blind spot.

Are we getting too lazy? :D

i dont think it makes a difference.

1. when you are on the move it is always 'MSM' i.e Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.. so there is no reason to turn your head even while changing lanes. proper use of the external ORVMs will help. And taking your eyes of the road during lane changes is not recommended.

2. when the vehicle is stationary then one could actually turn the head properly rather than having ti look through the side of the spectacles.

So based on the above it should not be a problem whether the stems or the side bands are thick or fine..

kindly correct me if i am mistaken.

I agree, it doesn't make much of a difference to me either. I've been wearing spectacles which a thick black frame for 2 years now. Initially, it took me a little less than 3 minutes to adjust with the side view.

The blindspots from the car pillars are the only real visiblity issue, and what vnabhi suggests works well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 3313819)
I do all the three checks you've mentioned before lane-changing, but with a slight variance: instead of turning my head for a 'shoulder check', I prefer to move my body forward and check both ORVMs.

I wore spectacles of -4.5, so anything outside the glass area, irrespective of the frame side bar size, was always a great blur. But I never faced this problem. I think it's more attributable to the person than the frame!

A couple of related links:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ot-mirror.html

I use the ORVM adjustment method given in the 1st link, and have found it very useful in reducing the blind spot area.

Cheers,
Vikram

I am using similar frame for last 5 months, but I haven't faced this kind of issue. Getting used to the frame took some time, but nothing to be cautious about while driving.

Glass area in my frame is slightly over-sized, but I don't think thick side bars would have been a problem even otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 3314882)
A couple of related links:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ot-mirror.html

I use the ORVM adjustment method given in the 1st link, and have found it very useful in reducing the blind spot area.

Cheers,
Vikram

I use the method given in the first link when on highways, as it gives a better view of the blind spots. But in city-driving, I adjust the ORVMs to see the tip of my car's rear, as without this, I will not be able to spot that nasty mobike close to my car, and I would risk him nicking my car if I were to take a slight turn to avoid a pothole.

I do not understand the logic of restricted visibility or blind spots after using a certain design of spectacles. I have been wearing all sort of spectacles from last so many years and never ever had I faced an issue like this. I think it is just about getting use to a particular frame. It is like many of us who have driven bikes with brakes on the right side tend to take time in adjusting to Royal Enfield bikes that have brakes on the left hand side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by debmum (Post 3313347)
Please share your experiences on “specs + driving”.

About a year back I had got a pair of eyeglasses which had thick side-frames and while I was getting used to them during the weekend I had never imagined that they could be a big hindrance in my driving.

I can totally relate to what you are saying and I had to change them the very same day due to the reduced visibility.

My eye-sight is -2.5 in both eyes and I can spot big/small vehicles on each side of the car even when looking without glass so a quick neck movement to right/left helps a lot. However, with this thick frame I had to really move my neck towards the back to spot the vehicles.

While it might be manageable for a lot of folks this just wasn't working out for me so I switched back to the sleeker frame that I had.

Its not about being lazy because would you prefer a gearbox on the dashboard for which you'd only have to move ahead a little to change gears every time. I mean it would be a great workout too, no? You're just being lazy now! I'm sure people driving AT cars aren't lazy :)

And lets not call it rubbish just because you have a different driving style. I mean if I can work with a little neck movement then any more effort is, simply an extra effort for me. Thick side-frames mean extra head movement and anybody comfortable with or used to little head movement will definitely find it annoying.

Ergonomics - The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort.