Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 15:34   #46
BHPian

re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life

Arun, I am glad that you came out unscathed from such a serious accident. One can easily recover from the vehicle damage, however damage to life is something which hurts very badly and is most difficult to recover from.

I especially admire the way your presence of mind worked and you managed to save the 2 wheeler guy as well as yourself. Also, I feel really glad and relieved at the same time that I moved from Zen (base model) and Honda City EXI (none of them having ABS and Air Bag) to Ford Figo Titanium and Honda Civic with all the safety features.

I will also recommend fellow bhpians to make the switch as early as possible.
civic-dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 15:38   #47
BHPian

re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Many Many thanks to Almighty and the safety features that saved you from an accident like this. Like other team bhpians pointed out irrespective of the capacity of our cars , Roads in India are not safe beyond 100 kmph. I mean the kind and number of obstacles / dangers which come up are not funny. Stray cattle, Cycles, Bikes, Bullock carts, Human beings who jump medians like stray animals. the list is endless. This is in addition to drivers who lack road sense.

Inspite of all this complaints I still try to enjoy my long road trips in India. Just pray before you start any long road trip and know your car and your limitations. And as Samarth mentioned never trust other vehicles / pedestrians on the road to follow rules. Your safety is not their headache.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:12   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

Arun,

I did not see the thread earlier, but we are all glad that you are safe. All that happens at that speed and time is a split second decision that you make. In fact, there is not even time for you to take a decision...its all human reflexes that take over. Thankfully your reflexes guided you in the best possible way. And yes, you were rewarded by the choice that you made - opting for the model with all the safety features on the D'zire.

Like many on the forum, even I do not advocate anything over 100 KMPH on Indian highways because of so many factors other than your car capabilities and the road conditions.

My best wishes to you and hope that your D'zire is back to the former glory as soon as possible. Can you or someone else share that how much does it costs to replace the airbags once it has deployed in a D'zire or a similar car? I see a quote of Rs. 1500/- per airbag in the quotation. Anything I am missing?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:18   #49
BHPian

Your presence of mind is commendable. Having read the other thread where in a fellow bhpians dad had a bad experience in their dzire, I have become extra cautious. Seeing a person/vehicle cross makes my fingers automatically use the Pass with the horn or my legs to use the brakes and slow down letting the other person pass. I rather go a little late than be Mr late or make someone else Mr late.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:25   #50
BHPian

I am glad that no one was hurt in this accident, thanks to your presence of mind and the ABS and Airbags in the car.

As a rule, I honk rather incessantly on every intersection even if I see no one on the road. If I see anyone waiting to cross (even if not intending to cross), I will reduce my speed well below 50 immediately. Helps a lot when there are morons like in this case.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:31   #51
BHPian

Seats belts truly saved your life. I think you should have slowed down when you saw the biker despite his reluctance to cross. The car took the crash well, you should thank god to be alive. It was very wise of you to choose a car with ABS and Airbags, a few thousand can stand between life and death. It is very appreciable of Maruti as well as other manufacturers to add suafety features in most of their models, in some cases as optionals. The Swift, on which the Dzire is bases got a 4 on 5 star rating for the pre 2010 accident, which is fairly promising. Now regarding the car, i think you should get it repaired. The fact that your front crumple zone is in tact and only your axle has taken a beating signifies that the car is still structurally sound. How much is your Bank approximating your cars value? Drive safe
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 19:06   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Seeing a person/vehicle cross makes my fingers automatically use the Pass with the horn or my legs to use the brakes ...
My driving instructor used to say, "Potential hazard: cover the brakes..."

ie, take your foot off the accelerator, and put it on the brake pedal. No need to push, unless things start to look worse, but put it there. That way, you are already slowing slightly, because of no accelerator, and you can apply breaking very quickly. You have already taken most of the "thinking distance" off your stopping distance.

I obey that lesson many times, every time I drive. And if the idiot behind me doesn't like it that I'm slowing down because, for instance, I see a pedestrian getting ready to jump off a median, that's his problem!

Actually, slightly pressing the brake will cause the brake lights to come on. This is a good warning to those behind you, whilst still leaving the possibility that you won't actually have to brake. It's good to communicate to others!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th January 2014 at 19:08.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 22:15   #53
BHPian

Good reactions and luck!

One can try to use the road a lot more in these kind of situations. Take a wider line to see farther into the corner. Its safer not to hug the tight line as people, cattle etc jump off the divider onto the road.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 23:32   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

This pic was taken on the next day of the accident when me and my wife went to this location to have a look,

Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life. Update from NHAI on page 8-11.jpg

Bikers View from this location:

Thanks to that white wall which hides any vehicles at cars height or lower than that.Similarly the same wall also hides the intersection from the drivers on the highway. The most affected are the people driving on the fast lane.

Due to this wall the bikers or pedestrians will have to come till the edge of the road to take a decision on whether to cross the road or not to,

Also the location/direction board is a disturbance for any one. If you try to read this board on the move then there is every chance that you might miss the intersection well in advance because this board is very close to the intersection.

Note: Its a 1.25 Kms straight stretch just before this fast curve.

My dad is evaluating the data in hand and if it favours us then he will file a case against NHAI. As per my dad, they should have avoided this intersection at this location.

Regarding my cars current status, it looks like the insurance company will push for a total loss as the estimated cost is more than 40% of the IDV. I am waiting for a official communication from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Arun,

My best wishes to you and hope that your D'zire is back to the former glory as soon as possible. Can you or someone else share that how much does it costs to replace the airbags once it has deployed in a D'zire or a similar car? I see a quote of Rs. 1500/- per airbag in the quotation. Anything I am missing?
Both the airbags comes to around 1L for replacement. The estimate includes the sub parts and hence it is very difficult to get the exact price.

Last edited by arun_josie : 13th January 2014 at 23:34.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 23:35   #55
BHPian

Thank your stars!! Pinch yourself to confirm you are alive and kicking..

Feel happy for you and the stupid biker that nothing untoward happened to either of you.

Any intersection that I pass through on highway or otherwise, I have made an annoying habit of honking loud to deter two wheeler and other vehicles crossing my way.

I have started slowing down much before these junctions in last couple of months even though I fear being read ended..

Drive safe..
Old 14th January 2014, 07:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is the estimate from MASS with long list of parts to be replaced/repaired. The total estimate comes to 2.65L and looks like insurance company has made it to 2.3L, I am yet to receive any official communication from Royal Sundaram. Tomorrow they are going to inspect the car again.
Goodness gracious me! Never be over confident on Indian highways mate! Especially where the highways stretch through village areas. The two wheeler riders don't know any rules, safety precautions or road discipline.
I always choose the far left lane as you may encounter two wheelers, share autos, bullock carts in opposite direction on the lane closer to the median. The village people don't understand the meaning of high way or lanes. For them it is just another road. There is no point to get angry at them. We have to be prudent.
Thunderbird77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 07:34   #57
BHPian

Glad to know you are safe, Arun. Sad to see your car in such a state. I got a air horn fit in my Swift which I use only on the highways to make sure people just don't barge in at intersections when we are at a high speed.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 09:32   #58
BHPian

Its a real pleasure to see you shocked but physically unhurt after this terrible tragedy. As someone said in earlier posts , your quick presence of mind saved the ignorant two wheeler rider and using the seat belt saved you. Of course there surely was an angel there who prevented the unthinkable from happening. I am too shocked after seeing the pictures and must say kudos to your quick thinking , reflexes which proved so vital.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 10:08   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Regarding my cars current status, it looks like the insurance company will push for a total loss as the estimated cost is more than 40% of the IDV. I am waiting for a official communication from them.
40% of the IDV is fine for repair job. I think that repair cost that crosses over 70-75% of the IDV is considered for a total loss. And anyway, by the pictures the car does not look like a total loss case. Not bad for a Maruti to hold up as good as this after such a nasty accident.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 10:17   #60
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Arun, thanks for sharing your experience. I am sure you are thankful that you and other road users were not hurt, didn't have any problems with the local police and had locals for your help. Your presence of mind and weighing the risks at hand was sharp. Wishing you safe miles ahead.
ImprezaFan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed