Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 09:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life: Update from NHAI on page 8

When one travels on this stretch- NH7/NH47 we can see that at some spots the divider's concrete slabs are missing / tampered. We can expect a 2 wheeler to dart in anytime.

The plants in the medians are only making things worse (though they prevent blinding lights from the opposite lane).

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2014 at 13:37. Reason: Typos
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dzire Accident: How seatbelts, ABS & airbags saved my life

Good to know you came out fine from that crash. KA number saved you from further complications I suppose or maybe you met genuinely nice cops.

ABS/Airbags is one thing, reacting in time and keeping the car in control is completely another - great that you managed to keep it on the correct side of the road.

Couple of questions,
- Did you not start flashing or honking once you saw that biker?
- Your passenger side fender also seems to be dented, how did that happen, any idea?
Old 8th January 2014, 09:59   #18
e2p
BHPian

The way you explained it, is really very nice - like an action replay. I was not reading it, I was feeling it.

I've been through this road recently and its true that the long streches of straight road gives us a boost to press the accelerator. The fact that our vehicles are equipped with safety features is an enabler for the above said action. However I beleive that your presence of mind is what really helped here.

Thank god that you are saved and the 2 wheeler guy as well.
e2p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 10:17   #19
BHPian

Congrats Arun. And thanks for reminding all about the use of ABS and Airbag once more. Are you getting the car restored completely in previous state by MASS?
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 10:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to hear that you are safe bro. Good thing you didnt compromise on safety when buying the car. Also good to hear that the locals and cops helped you and made the entire process hassle free. Keep us updated on the repairs.

One thing I have noticed while driving to Blore is the intersections at blind curves. Add huge shrubs on the median and it makes it worse. Also the NHAI should close all the intersections made by the locals (removing sections of concrete, adding elevations etc).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 10:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Arun, I'm very happy and relieved that you came off unscathed out of this accident. As I have seen in many TBHP drives, you are one of the safest and disciplined driver. Yours was one of the best maintained Dzire in TBHP and its sad to see it in this condition. Kudos to locals and police who helped you in that situation. Nothing to worry about the car. It has saved you. I hope to see your Dzire back in action after the repairs. Let it serve you many more happy and safe miles.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 8th January 2014 at 10:31.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 10:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

We are all very happy that you have come out of this incident unscathed.

Your write up was also very nice for an accident report. Most of these are usually injected with a dose of emotion (which no one can blame the person for having), thus hampering the quality, detail and making things a little hard to grasp. I must say that this was pretty concise.

Also glad to here that the locals did not steal anything, helped recite the story to the cops instead of blaming you and that dealing with the cops was not too difficult either. You are quite a lucky man.

Oh and here's a suggestion: if you still have the money for it after all the repairs and running around getting things sorted out, then do also consider getting better brake pads. I am not saying they would have helped in this situation. But they do in a lot of situations and instill just a little more confidence into you.

Cheers!
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:15   #23
Team-BHP Support

Found this road safety video that has a situation much like your own.

bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nasty unexpected crash, all due to mindlessness of that biker. There are several bikers who are cautious, but at the same time there are several bikers who drive by giving their life in the hands of others thinking that they will save them.

That was a very good driving by you, that you saved the biker, the car crash can be repaired, but if that biker would have got a hit, he may not have survived. It would have been a very ugly situation for you.

The focus in such situations should be always to save the person, car can be repaired, but lives of person can never be back. Though it may cost the car driver some serious injury, but thats the risk of speeding at junctions and crossings (which are plenty on our highways)
Old 8th January 2014, 15:32   #25
BHPian

Glad to hear that you are ok and you had family and friends to support you. You have done a great job on avoiding the biker and taking the hit by yourself. It takes courage and presence of mind to do that and you have done the right thing. If the biker has taken the same hit he may not have survived it. It would be difficult to live with mental and legal consequences.

I have a query regarding the accident pardon me if it’s invoking a bad memory. When the airbag was deployed did it hit your face? Please let me know if you felt any pain in leg, chest and hand after the accident.
Hope your vehicle recovers soon and makes way back to you as soon as possible.
baludharmarajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 15:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

We all know most accidents are avoidable and its usually driver-error thats the biggest reason for all mishaps.

Arun has mentioned that he realises one has to be more careful on curves and when approaching intersections . I would say he was lucky that the car didnt topple after hitting the divider or that it didnt jump over to the other lane into oncoming traffic.

Forget approaching intersections , one should always approach a curve even on a 4L/6L road with caution . 100 kph is too high to even react in such situations. I have had so many close calls on the Bangalore - Mysore road which has intersections on blind corners , that I now never drive on the rightmost lane unless overtaking .

Driving on the rightmost lane has its own risks as well - you have lesser time to react in case of any vehicle jumping across the dividers , you have almost zero chance to avoid a stranded idiot parked on the right lane on a blind curve .

One last thing , a car with cross member /chassis damage would never be same as OE no matter where you get it corrected . Alignment , steering , tire wear issues usually do crop up.This car has done well in giving you those super miles of fun driving and protecting you when it was needed . Maybe its time to evaluate one of those exchange options

Drive carefully buddy .
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 15:53   #27
BHPian

Miraculous escape indeed! Glad to know that you came out unharmed. This is second incidence on T-BHP (remember Rockporium's Dzire accident) involving a Dzire with airbags and ABS saving lives of its occupants. This all the more emphasizes the critical importance of safety features on Indian roads. Needless to say, my next car is certainly going to be an air-bagged one.
On a related note, as previously mentioned by somebody on this thread, I slow down and keep honking when i see an intersection ahead, even if there is nobody waiting to cross the road. Congratulations for your second life and drive safe!!!
mahesh_sn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:00   #28
BHPian

Nothing short of a miracle that nobody was injured. Sorry to see the state of your beloved car. Good that you had help close by. As you have mentioned that intersection has seen too many fatal accidents. Even then the concerned authority doesn't seem to be bothered to close it. I was once in a similar situation where an auto from the middle lane(I was on the fast lane) suddenly decided to go for an intersection just around the bend on Bangalore-Mysore highway without any indication. Luckily I was only doing 70 kmph and was somehow able to avoid an accident. Goes on to show how important it is to belt up while driving.
human_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:11   #29
BHPian

arun_josie, brother, thank God that you are safe. Sad to see 8872 in such a shape, but am also happy that it behaved well in a panic situation. You have put together everything well in writing, especially the learning from the accident. When I opted for my second car, I was very much particular in buying the Titanium version of the Figo which included ABS and Airbags. I too travel on those highways a lot and can vouch that at the one time when you might have to use those, you will not regret paying the extra money because no amount is worth a human life, whether its yours or somebody else'. Drive Safe
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:15   #30
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

That sure was a harrowing experience, glad you came out of it safely.
Definitely the ABS & Airbags helped and the zero depreciation insurance was a good move as well. Above all, god was with you all the time!
There are several right-handed curves on this route, we had a close shave during our Madurai trip as well, I think I mentioned it in my travelogue. Reading your thread brought back memories of that incident.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed