Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 21:15   #76
BHPian

re: Renault Duster Accident & Rollover

Thank god the occupants are safe.

Being a prospective Duster buyer, I have been following this with atmost curiority. I am sure there would be many like me and present owners too would be worried.

It is almost a week, we have been only speculating without any official statement from Renault. It is high time Renault comes up with a clarification (though it may not be obligation), it would surely win confidence of buyers/owners in (going to be crowded) compact SUV segment. It is an opportunity to Renault show their customer care and re-iterate the solid build quality of their products.
Old 4th April 2014, 22:38   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
It is an opportunity to Renault show their customer care and re-iterate the solid build quality of their products.
Golden opportunity I must say. Many in this forum are hooked onto and waiting so anything against this case from Renault is going to have many customers go away from it and also the bad mouth could start which again is detrimental for Renault.

I still have doubts in the parts quality or a kind of one off defect. Hope such an incident doesn't repeat.

Anurag.
Old 6th April 2014, 19:13   #78
BHPian

Renault Duster Accident - Wheel & suspension break off

On the 5th April, I alongwith the Insurance surveyor, went to the Renault Duster's Workshop to have a 1st hand look at the vehicle.

I would like to reiterate that the post and the thread has been put facts to this knowledgeable forum to find possible root cause of this very unfortunate accident and derive possible conclusions that will help in building vehicles with much improved quality. Am also not an automobile engineer and hence some of the terminologies that I have used in this post could be incorrect.

Two possible reasons emerged:

a. The driver side tyre got a deep cut / gnash leading to sudden and rapid decrease of air pressure, making the vehicle becoming unstable on the driver's side. This and with the vehicle being in motion, led to the key components such as steering rack, tie rod, suspensions breaking off in rapid succession leading to the unfortunate tumble and roll over.

See pics below of the driver side tyres.

Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-driver-side-right-tyre.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-driver-side-right-tyre_2.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-driver-side-right-tyre_3.jpg

b. The other view: The part that connects the wheel to the engine snapped due to whatever reasons. With the vehicle in motion, all the other related parts, such as Shock Absorbers, Steering rack, Differential could not withstand the pressure and came apart in rapid succession leading the vehicle taking a tumble and landing on its head.

Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-tie_rod1.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-tie_rod2_closeup.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-right-side-view1.jpg

Broken shock absorber photos. Unless until tremendous pressure was exerted on this part, this would not have broken the way it did.

Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-shock_absorber1.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-shock_absorber1_closeup.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-broken_shocker_right-tyre-part.jpg

Additional Photos:

a. This photo shows the inner side of the driver side wheel and tyre. The inner side of the tyre also has a big gnash.

Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-right_tyre_gnash.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-inner_side_right_tyre1_resized.jpg
Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-inner_side_right_tyre2.jpg

b. The car as it looks now:

Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-car-1.jpg

Renault Duster Accident & Rollover-car-2.jpg

As I was tied up with the year end closing, could not either respond to any of the posts or post any new updates.

As someone mentioned, this is opportunity for not only Renault to improve the quality but also for other car makers. Will go through the many of the posts and respond within this week.

Post was edited as some of the images did not get uploaded properly. Had to reload the images.

Last edited by aaren : 6th April 2014 at 19:28.
aaren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 19:31   #79
BHPian

Truly heartening to note that Renault is trying to get to the bottom of things rather than try to shift or deny accountability.
other thing for all duster owners to check. My right front wheel has a shake similar to a bearing shake. Renault Chennai have changed all the suspension components but the shake remains. Company feedback then after checking new dusters was that this shake is there in about 40% of vehicles manufactured and nothing to be worried about. I think this might also be a design or manufacturing flaw. Please,guys check from your end and if we collectively put postiive pressure, things will get done. Please note that this shake was in front right wheel only in the 5 dusters checked in front of me, very similar to the duster in discussion now
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 22:39   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you please post the snap of incident location more clearly, showing the traces marked in road? To understand the initial direction of travel and travel after the incident.
Also what is the direction of roll? (which side of vehicle lifted first?)

Going by the snaps of wheel outer side, couldn't convince myself that the wheel didn't got any hit before.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 6th April 2014 at 22:42.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:33   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
I would like to reiterate that the post and the thread has been put facts to this knowledgeable forum to find possible root cause of this very unfortunate accident and derive possible conclusions that will help in building vehicles with much improved quality.
As someone mentioned, this is opportunity for not only Renault to improve the quality but also for other car makers.
Sorry to say, OEMs don't make cars, they 'Design' it.
Many may claim on the part / product quality, but the level customer abuse can put any over design / 10,20,50,100 times the factor of safety in shame.
This statement is definitely not for an argument, this is purely from my experience.

The kind of durability loads / cycles the suspension parts were tested is next to impossible to reach in real life situation.

Quote:
a. The driver side tyre got a deep cut / gnash leading to sudden and rapid decrease of air pressure, making the vehicle becoming unstable on the driver's side. This and with the vehicle being in motion, led to the key components such as steering rack, tie rod, suspensions breaking off in rapid succession leading to the unfortunate tumble and roll over.
Forget the rapid loss of air pressure, just throw away the tyres and try running the vehicle only with rims for a considerable distance (distance required by the driver to bring the vehicle to halt after the incident) I'm sure the wheels / suspension parts will never fail to this extent unless and until the wheels get an severe impact.

Quote:
b. The other view: The part that connects the wheel to the engine snapped due to whatever reasons. With the vehicle in motion, all the other related parts, such as Shock Absorbers, Steering rack, Differential could not withstand the pressure and came apart in rapid succession leading the vehicle taking a tumble and landing on its head.

Broken shock absorber photos. Unless until tremendous pressure was exerted on this part, this would not have broken the way it did.
The part connecting wheel to engine is Drive Shaft. DS failure will never generate a huge load/force to push the wheel outwards / break the suspension member / put such a load on shock absorbers.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 11:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:

b. The car as it looks now:
A quick question - What does the surveyor say about the car. Will they pay for the repairs or are they considering it a write off?

If the car is being repaired what is the estimate.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:41   #83
BHPian

Whoa! Looks like a bomb went off near the wheel, looking at the deformation on the steel rim, especially near the rim lip. Looking at the pic, it is hard to believe that the car did not go over anything. I am sure that the suspension should have given off first and then only the drive shaft and not the other way round. I suggest you get a metallurgical test done on the suspension parts done for any signs of metal fatigue or manufacturing defect. For a good suspension to shear clean off would require gargantuan forces, something that the vehicle will encounter only in an accident scenarion and never in any normal running circumstances.

Last edited by racer_ash : 7th April 2014 at 14:42.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 14:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully we are not missing anything regards to speed and sudden direction changes etc by the driver. I think the car should have collapsed and not toppled the way it did if wheel came off, Isn't it?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:14   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two possible reasons emerged:

Surely the driver should be able to identify which of the two reasons led to the accident. If there was sudden deflation in the tyre, he would have experienced it and even heard the tyre pop and the hiss of air coming out rapidly. OTOH if the wheel just snapped and the front end just collapsed all of a sudden from a moving car, the driver should be able tell you that too.

Seeing so many cuts and gnashes on the tyre, my guess is that the tyre lost air quickly and the weight of the car caused the connecting rod to snap. But most certainly a big worrying accident for Renault as a car maker. The snapped pipe like part does not look very strong to me.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:31   #86
BANNED

I feel here Renault should also have a meeting with the tyre maker as they know the tyre well and can assess the cause better seen the condition of the tyre and the rim. Too many cuts and bruises within a short length is alarming.

Come on MRF!

Anurag.
Old 7th April 2014, 17:25   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I feel here Renault should also have a meeting with the tyre maker as they know the tyre well and can assess the cause better seen the condition of the tyre and the rim. Too many cuts and bruises within a short length is alarming.

Come on MRF!

Looking at this snap still you believe it is a part defect?
Come on anurag, a flat tyre will not tear-off the rim under normal running condition. It's purely an outcome of severe impact.

I faced a tyre burst @ 120kmph in my linea. Vehicle came to halt in 7~10 seconds immediately after hearing the burst sound and I'm gifted with 5 or 6 cuts along the sidewall. It's after all a rubber material and a flat tyre will get too much of heat.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:49   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Looking at this snap still you believe it is a part defect?
Come on anurag, a flat tyre will not tear-off the rim under normal running condition. It's purely an outcome of severe impact.

I faced a tyre burst @ 120kmph in my linea. Vehicle came to halt in 7~10 seconds immediately after hearing the burst sound and I'm gifted with 5 or 6 cuts along the sidewall. It's after all a rubber material and a flat tyre will get too much of heat.
I never said that the tyre caused this accident and not the car itself.

I just meant that when Renault is investigating its part etc, why not call the tyre manufacturer too to help them.

Anurag.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:26   #89
BHPian

Outside of the rim bending that way could be because of the tire rubbing against median. Maybe the wheel broke off when car hit the median. A survey of accident spot can clear this.

Looking at the pictures, I still find it hard to believe that there was no impact, "and the tire decided to go its own way". A wheel running off, just like that, will not have damage on the outside, like it has now.

With no intention to be harsh, what is the source of this statement :
Quote:
3. The car did not hit any stone or go into a big pothole or whatever. The entire wheel just decided to go its own way.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:30   #90
Senior - BHPian

After looking at these snaps it is very difficult to believe that, there was absolutely no impact which let to this accident.

Concluding, without knowing the actual facts, will be nothing short of speculating. I honestly doubt that anyone on this forum will be able to analyse the cause, with limited available facts.

This is my personal opinion and is not meant to disgrace / disrespect any body.

However, I feel that Sherlock Homes could have helped, if he was a member of this forum..
Chethan B G is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks