Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 00:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Airbag Warning: Don't press hornpad before crash

Just sharing my experience here,

Couple of months back I met with an accident in my Dzire when I tried to avoid a two-wheeler who tried to cross the road at the last moment on a 4L highway, I hit the divider and the airbag got deployed.

- Initially I started honking, but the moment I felt that I won't stop before hitting him, I started maneuvering to avoid him.(during this process I released my hand from the horn)

- I never followed any seating position but just made sure that I am comfortable at the wheels.

- Seat belt was ON, hence the seat belt got tightened and didn't allow me to move forward even for a inch

- After the impact, both of my hands were still on the steering wheel.

Luckily I was not hurt due to the airbag, not even a bruise.

More details here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...d-my-life.html

Last edited by arun_josie : 3rd April 2014 at 00:42. Reason: adding info regarding seat belt
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly offtopic but related question: what happens to spectacles in case airbags deploy? Don't they get smashed by the impact? I always worry that in trying to protect the rest of me the airbag may end up damaging my eyesight.
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Slightly offtopic but related question: what happens to spectacles in case airbags deploy? Don't they get smashed by the impact? I always worry that in trying to protect the rest of me the airbag may end up damaging my eyesight.
As per tests conducted and studying accidents that already occured, they failed to get any more significant injury due to wearing spectacles. In all cases, they only saw minor injuries due to the frame.

It is however, in my opinion, safer to switch to plastic lenses if you are still using glass lenses.

See this thread for more-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-airbags.html
dutta_d1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
... what happens to spectacles in case airbags deploy? Don't they get smashed by the impact? ...
Free lens implant post AB deployment? LOL Jokes apart, airbags deploy in an upward direction upper torso to head. This would cause the specs to be pushed upwards more than into the head. This might cause the bridge to abrade the nose, but being much larger than the eyes, the lenses will always be obstructed by the brow and cheekbones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
... safer to switch to plastic lenses if you are still using glass lenses. ...
Some can't - the plastic lens would be too thick for their lens specification. The problem is not lens shattering - even glass lenses will not shatter on airbag impact.

Most Viewed