Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 20:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian highways: When to hit 100+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Planting trees and bushes on dividers and allowing them to grow without pruning them is certainly a hazard, feels very unsafe driving on the right most lane and not knowing who is lurking behind the bushes.
The pruning of these bushes require regular attention and not many are there who look after so they outgrow the divider width protruding out making it risky to drive on the right-most lane.

Best avoided to be on the right most side.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th June 2014 at 21:59. Reason: as requested.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:21   #122
BHPian

Nice thread and lot of useful information

I would only attain speed to 3 digits, provided -
1. Clear visibility of ~200-400 meters and road condition, giving confidence on overtaking and speeding maneuver
2. My health condition and focus on roads is in top-notch condition
3. Sparse traffic and clearly demarked/divided road
4. known terrain
Old 27th June 2014, 15:47   #123
BANNED

In my view never, since high(er) speeds demand that all users are reasonably law abiding, and know the rules. I have done 100+ mph in Europe with no sweat.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 23:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In my view never, since high(er) speeds demand that all users are reasonably law abiding, and know the rules. I have done 100+ mph in Europe with no sweat.
Kmph? Then your view is impractical imo There are many stretches now where one can easily do 100kmph++.
Old 29th June 2014, 00:09   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray

Kmph? Then your view is impractical imo There are many stretches now where one can easily do 100kmph++.
But isn't That exactly why roads like yamuna expressway have so many fatalities!

First World roads meets third world road sense!
phamilyman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 00:22   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
First World roads meets third world road sense!

I usually keep speeds below 100 in most highways, and if I cross the triple digit mark, that will be under these conditions:

If the road is unfamiliar, then it happens only if the stretch ahead is clearly visible, NO intersections ahead and traffic is sparse. Usually happens on GQ and tolled roads.

If the road is familiar and I travel regularly, I do floor the pedal in regions where there is no rural population, no humps etc and this usually happens on NH4 on my way to Kolar. There are only a few safe stretches where the area is totally deserted, and most traffic is spread out due to average pace and there are no village intersections. In most of the other places its difficult and unsafe to speed and we regularly witness accidents in such spots. Hence I keep speeds low in such areas.
Old 13th July 2014, 23:34   #127
BHPian

I agree with audioholic that one should try and limit speed to approx. 100. Last month I did Pune - Mysore (877 km) and Bangalore - Pune (840 km) at a stretch and did not exceed 110 during the entire trip.

Last weekend we did Pune - Mumbai in 2hrs 51 mins (Sopan Baug to Colaba) with speed not exceeding 80 km/hr. Had I upped the speed, it would have made a difference of not more than 15 mins. Best part is that I got a trip fuel average of 21.6 km/l on my Passat
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 20:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

Speed limit or no speed limit, 100kmph on any road in India (that I have seen at least) is just scary. I wouldn't lie and say I've never done it, I have been young and extremely stupid at times. But I wouldn't even think about it now.

Overall instead of looking at the speedometer and fixing speed, I would say the safest way is to go with the flow of traffic and not stick out too much. If you're going much faster than the traffic, you need to keep overtaking and if you're going much slower, everyone needs to overtake you. Either way, you are introducing more chances of a chaotic situation - compared to maintaining a steady speed on par with other vehicles.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 03:43   #129
BHPian

Dear all,

I would like to go with the flow. Sure, 100 kmph is the highest official speed limit that I have witnessed yet (Yamuna Expressway and Ahmedabad-Baroda Expressway). However, on other roads I wonder why does the government give ridiculous speed limits which people are bound to break.

For eg., during Delhi - Pune drive last month, I actually found a speed limit of 50 in the short 6-laned stretch along Vadodara - Narmada river bridge road. And people, even in hatchbacks and small cars were driving at 120+ while I was at a sedate 90. There doesn't seem to be a concept of speed tracking on most highways.

On the Delhi - Ambala - Jalandhar stretch of GT road, and along Delhi - Ajmer road, a speed limit of 90 makes sense. You tend to respect it and I've ensured not to exceed beyond 95 (which occasionally happens).

But yes, to answer the main question, I would go with the flow. I think there is a lesson to learn from Sachin tendulkar here. You see a bad ball, take advantage of it. I see a good stretch of road ahead that's almost empty, speed up and save time. Otherwise, just be cautious and gauge accordingly.

But, as a systemic issue that government should focus, I expect speed limits to be more liberal and practical like the one found on GT road stretch.

Sorry, Off-topic, but this is my first ever comment on Team-BHP!
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:11   #130
BANNED

Now that 100kph has been notified officially, the dynamics may change somewhat.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:09   #131
BHPian

IMO the speed limit increase from 80 to 100 km/h is in retrospect as most cars can now easily cruise at 100+ speeds. Also the road condition has generally improved (am sure that many will disagree).

Inspite of the increase in speed limit, I still feel that limiting speeds to 100 is good for present road conditions / traffic
Old 15th September 2014, 12:11   #132
Senior - BHPian

The speed limit should be based on road conditions IMO. Merely notifying an updated speed limit is not enough.
I also think, speed tracking/measurement is essential part of ensuring road safety. This needs to be done cross-country - not only in urban areas.
Old 27th September 2014, 23:34   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Speed limit or no speed limit, 100kmph on any road in India (that I have seen at least) is just scary. I wouldn't lie and say I've never done it, I have been young and extremely stupid at times. But I wouldn't even think about it now.

Overall instead of looking at the speedometer and fixing speed, I would say the safest way is to go with the flow of traffic and not stick out too much. If you're going much faster than the traffic, you need to keep overtaking and if you're going much slower, everyone needs to overtake you. Either way, you are introducing more chances of a chaotic situation - compared to maintaining a steady speed on par with other vehicles.
Well said! 100KM/h is plain scary in most Indian roads. Although the surface quality of the highways has improved, the people tendency of not following the driving rules has not seen any decline . So doing 100+ in roads where people change lane without using any signal, local vehicles enter highway from cross roads without even glancing around, as if they are entering into their personal driveway, is simply too dangerous!
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 08:49   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Well said! 100KM/h is plain scary in most Indian roads. Although the surface quality of the highways has improved, the people tendency of not following the driving rules has not seen any decline . So doing 100+ in roads where people change lane without using any signal, local vehicles enter highway from cross roads without even glancing around, as if they are entering into their personal driveway, is simply too dangerous!
+1

The slow moving vehicles do not stick to the proper lane. In the night it becomes difficult to judge their speeds. By going fast in excess of 100 kmph, we are unable to judge if they are going slowly.
I never go beyond 90 kmph. The reason being by restricting to this speed an driving consistently, it implies less mental fatigue and good FE of the car. Also we have time to react in case some moron ventures into our path or in case we fail to notice a truck parked by the road side.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 08:57   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
So doing 100+ in roads where people change lane without using any signal, local vehicles enter highway from cross roads without even glancing around, as if they are entering into their personal driveway, is simply too dangerous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
By going fast in excess of 100 kmph, we are unable to judge if they are going slowly.
Absolutely.

In addition to the above, some of the things I have observed on the MPE, that truly scares me.
  • During night drives, many many trucks do not have their tail lights. Some have a cycle reflector sort of thingy and some do no even have that.
  • In every drive I have made on the expressway, there are always at least a couple of speednecks driving on the road as if they are competing for the pole position on the next Grand Prix
  • People overtake from wherever there is space. Left, right or center are just directional positions and have no bearing to driving whatsoever
  • The ghats are a "Free-for-all-for-whatever" section
In such scenarios it scares me to drive any fater that 100 at the max. Even that at times feels pretty unsafe. So mostly staying 100- is a much beter option

So for me 100+ is best avoided on 99.9% Indian roads. Self restraint is the best form of speed control.
ptushar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks