Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 13:39   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Another instance of 'Right of way' abuse. So what if my road is blocked. I will get on the 'other side' and create a bigger almighty mess!
These set of drivers who are initiators of the wrong side entry are one bunch of impatient fools. Just no sense of patience to wait till the traffic jam clears but go on to the other side to disrupt the traffic flow and then make a ruckus blaming the authorities for not having proper road planning or lack of traffic police deployment to control movement.

This is a common sight if there is a heavy vehicle breakdown where traffic is released one by one alternatively from both sides to prevent a long queue. But many do not wait hence breaking queue and blocking the opposite entry.

Now both the side traffic movement is killed. All patiently wait just playing music (read constant honking).

Anurag.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:29   #47
BHPian

Re: About 'Right of Way' & Safe Driving

'Right of Way', anyone?

All the cars parked perpendicular to the traffic direction is jostling to merge.

If this is the situation in relatively upscale Bandra of Mumbai (Khernagar exit from BKC), is there any hope for the rest of the country?
Attached Thumbnails
About 'Right of Way' & Safe Driving-right-way-khernagar-i.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2014, 16:22   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Look at what Delhi Traffic Police has to say about right of way. They are quite correct of course, but then on the other hand, what are motorists supposed to do about jaywalkers? Do DTP implement any penalties for jaywalking?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...if_t=notify_me

Quote:
Traffic Advisory
“Know your right of way.
For pedestrian:-
Pedestrian has the Right of way on non-signalized zebra crossing. If pedestrian is crossing the road on the zebra crossing then stop the vehicle immediately

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd July 2014 at 16:24.
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:53   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Sometimes when driving on an expressway one has to adhere to speed limits of 50 / 60 kmph even though everyone else is overspeeding by a long margin. In such situations what do you believe is the right lane to drive in? After all right-hand most lane is for fast moving traffic (provided they are adhering to the speed limit). Should one move to the left to make way for speeders, especially when often the left lanes are difficult to drive because of bad surfacing, (really slow) trucks, buses, 2-wheelers and distractions from vehicles entering using side roads, etc.
The right lane is only for overtaking. Whether travelling at the speed limit, or faster, or even slower, 'right of way' dictates that the right-most lane will be used ONLY for overtaking. Once the overtaking manouevre is completed, you MUST move back to the next lane.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 05:52   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The right lane is only for overtaking. Whether travelling at the speed limit, or faster, or even slower, 'right of way' dictates that the right-most lane will be used ONLY for overtaking. Once the overtaking manouevre is completed, you MUST move back to the next lane.
At risk of going OT ...not only this is courtsey to others it is also safer. Have seen too many accidents due to someone (or animal) stepping on to fast lane from middle of the bushes (or such) on the divider. As a rule I try to keep my car on left lane even on a two lane highway. Gives you more time to react.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 20:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
At risk of going OT ...not only this is courtsey to others it is also safer. Have seen too many accidents due to someone (or animal) stepping on to fast lane from middle of the bushes (or such) on the divider. As a rule I try to keep my car on left lane even on a two lane highway. Gives you more time to react.
With due respect to the both of you... I could not agree more, excepting that I am constrained to point out - that with encroachments + slow moving non-vehicular traffic on the left lane on Indian highways, it's downright dangerous to stick to it, when travelling cross-country.
Not to mention slow moving trucks who drive on the right lane permanently, forcing the other drivers to overtake from the left.

To illustrate: On a recent drive on DGP Expressway, WB -which has only 2 lanes, and trucks never exceeding 40-50 kmph, driving takes on a bit of a flavour of playing hop-skotch, as one edges into pockets left between trucks plodding along on both lanes!

SST - you of all people know of this - but I can certainly understand your recently renewed interest in road-safety after your trip down under. Hopefully the hard won, homegrown truths have not been displaced by fleeting experiences of utopian roads and road-manners.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 9th July 2014 at 20:37.
Old 9th July 2014, 21:07   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
SST - you of all people know of this - but I can certainly understand your recently renewed interest in road-safety after your trip down under. Hopefully the hard won, homegrown truths have not been displaced by fleeting experiences of utopian roads and road-manners.
Joy, we are discussing 'right of way' here, not driving on NH58/NH2/NH33 etc. BTW, in those situations, straddling both lanes is probably a better option than sticking to either left or right lane - but obviously, to quote you, "I am constrained to point out..." that such advice does not explain 'right of way' to anyone, nor is it a legal action while driving.

But then, who cares about laws? What I teach is how to survive and drive crash-free *despite* having lawless maniacs on the roads.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th July 2014 at 21:10.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 09:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this video from FB. Not sure if it will ever be practiced in India. Still, good to know.

Old 3rd November 2018, 15:55   #54
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

The road was wet under the front right wheel, ABS kicked-in for a while. I applied brake slowly as another car was tailgating my car. Is the following statement correct? Vehicle going straight gets priority over the stationary vehicle in the opposite lane, waiting to turn right.

Old 3rd November 2018, 16:11   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

A few points.

1. Cabby was already inside the junction circle.
2. You are required to slow down at an intersection.
3. You are required to give way to the traffic approaching from your right-hand side.

Safety first.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A few points.

3. You are required to give way to the traffic approaching from your right-hand side.

Safety first.
Agree with 1 & 2 and all the points for defensive driving but 3 is wrong. This junction appear to be controlled only for people turning so obviously those going straight gets priority. Right hand side rule applies only if all side has equal access.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 3rd November 2018 at 18:43.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:56   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A few points.
Quote:
I don't see any circle. The cabby is turning right across oncoming traffic. Not his right of way.
Quote:
Defensive driving is always good. But required?
Quote:
If you are a boat, and no other rule overrides, then yes!

On the roads: I don't think so. Giving way to the right applies specifically to roundabouts. This gives right of way to those already on the roundabout, which might be where your point 1 comes from.

This is not a roundabout. This is a junction or crossroads. Traffic on the main road has right of way. Certainly it can be unclear which is the main road, but the 4-lane road here probably qualifies. Minor roads often have no indication at all: certainly best to be defensive and slow down.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On the roads: I don't think so. Giving way to the right applies specifically to roundabouts. This gives right of way to those already on the roundabout, which might be where your point 1 comes from.
Actually, this rule applies to uncontrolled intersections, even in LHD countries. That is counter-intuitive since in LHD countries, roundabouts require you to give way to the left.

Of course here, the situation is not one where the cabbie approaches from the right (he approaches from straight ahead and wants to turn) so the cabbie is certainly at fault.

Here's a fun quiz for traffic rule nerds like me!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 22:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaWatt View Post
Is the following statement correct? Vehicle going straight gets priority over the stationary vehicle in the opposite lane, waiting to turn right.
This is not meant to disrespect or offend.
I remember the days at Gurgaon's cyber city. The exit is a road engineering marvel. After coming out in the evenings, people travelling towards NH-8 have to make a left U turn, from the rightmost lane of appropriately 4 to 5 lanes, within 10-15 meters, on jam packed road. If vehicles going straight get the right of way, there is no way to make this turn until 10 PM. Instead, the rule is - my front bumper doesn't hit your rear bumper. The effect is that, what might have displeased you, I know it as a way of life.
In my opinion, following things have right of way:
1. Three wheeler autos, maxi cabs, Omnis - Anything that has less to lose in case of a brush.
2. Haryana Roadways. In hills, Haryana and Himachal Roadways.
3. Off late, DTC buses.
4. Yellow plate Dzire.
5. Cars with Caste related bravado.
6. Cars with rear view mirrors closed
7. Bikes without rear view mirrors. Bikes with mirrors though rare but are reassuring.
8. Any vehicle with more than two combat age occupants.

These are serious observations and could reduce driving related stress to a large degree, atleast in NCR. The only thing that upsets me on the road are those slow drivers who don't allow me to pass on purpose.
atnyia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 12:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaWatt View Post
Is the following statement correct? Vehicle going straight gets priority over the stationary vehicle in the opposite lane, waiting to turn right.
Don't think any such statement is absolute; we need to evaluate each situation contextually. In this case, even as the video starts it is evident that the cab is waiting for a right or U turn (though I can't make out if the indicator is blinking, the intention is clear); 2 seconds into the video the cab is jutting into the opposite carriageway. At that point the cab has right of way, but what you did is so common in Bangalore that even turning vehicles expect it I guess.

Most Viewed