Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 11:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: When road dividers crash into you for a change!

Glad to know that you escaped unscatched from the incident, its really scary and sad at the same time on the way the incident happened due to no fault of yours.

AFAIK the concrete structures are temporary on the Nagwara flyover to make it dual lane, correct me if I am wrong.

For the tyres I see in the pictures that the right side tire is flat may be valve issue due to the impact or a cut. As long as there arent any cuts you can use them but like someone mentioned get it checked at Madhus once the car is ready.
Old 14th August 2014, 12:42   #17
BHPian

Must have been horrifying when it happened. Anyway, i hope the car makes it through and continues to give you pleasure and clock many more miles. But those loose concrete blocks are just ticking timebombs. Unless they do something quick another incident might repeat sooner or later.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 13:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
After coming down to the above number(1.85L), insurance company had two option,

1) Paying me 5.05L(3.2L from buyer and 1.85L by the company)
2) They will pay me 1.85L and I will have to pay the remaining amount to repair the car which comes close to a lakh for me.

I went with option 1 because I was getting 5.05L for a 75K Kms run car.
Arun, need your clarification. In the first statement you mentioned that insurance company had two options. But in the last statement you said you went with option 1. So is it the insurance company that decides or is the owner who decides which option he'd like to go with?
Old 14th August 2014, 14:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Arun, need your clarification. In the first statement you mentioned that insurance company had two options. But in the last statement you said you went with option 1. So is it the insurance company that decides or is the owner who decides which option he'd like to go with?
Shilnil, It's our decision to select the option. For insurance company, both the options are same because the amount going out from them is same.

I didn't prefer option 2 for the following reasons,

- I will have to spend around 1L from my pocket.
- Concerns over Airbag replacement
- It was 75K Kms on ODO and hence it will affect the resale value big time.
- With damages to most of the under body parts, I may have to live with rattling issues, alignment issues etc.
- There was also a condition that estimated amount/repair work is not final and there could be changes to it after extensive test drive.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
But those concrete divider blocks on the road have left me speechless! Are they supposed to be left like that? I thought they were properly secured to the road. If it moves when a heavy vehicle hits, this will be disastrous when a vehicle from the opposite lane descends the flyover at a high speed. Not to mention, the vehicles that would be trailing this vehicle from behind.
Gannu, Bangalore has a lot of such sections of roads where these concrete blocks are placed temporarily to create a median and divide the traffic and sometimes, to extend the median.

Unless you have a good set of headlights, better fog lamps (to show whats ahead, right below) and the fact that you have been driving around in Bangalore for a considerable period of time covering most of such stretches, there is every chance that one would end up at least brushing against these concrete blocks.

There are enough junctions where the medians start at a weird angle (confusing a disciplined lane follower) and often without a reflector on them resulting in crashes.

I have been driving back home between 8-10pm since the past 4 years and have seen silly to horrible crashes in that 34 kms stretch I drive where cars have jumped of these concrete blocks or even hit them and damaged their vehicles badly.

The incident reported here by mukundz is not a surprise for those who know Nagawara flyover.

I hope mukundz gets his car back in shape and everything goes well in case if the insurer opts for the settlement process.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th August 2014 at 14:31.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:57   #21
BHPian

@arun_josie - Thank God you guys are safe, and I'm so angered by the state of that damn flyover. I take the exact same route for my commute daily (I work in MTP) and the the way these slabs are carelessly strewn about and the resultant daily snarls just irritate me no end. The authorities have let these slabs be without any concern to safety and I myself have missed these narrowly several times.

Really hope your car gets well and you get it back up and running soon. Take care.
Old 14th August 2014, 15:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The incident reported here by mukundz is not a surprise for those who know Nagawara flyover.

Parag's post covers everything that i wanted to say.
And such dividers are not limited to only the ring road but at dimly lit junctions as well.There is not even a reflector pole to indicate the start or end of such dividers.

Good to know that you both escaped unscathed from all this.
Wishing you many more miles and smiles with your ride
InControl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Maan, I was on this flyover this morning. Was taking my wife and son to the airport.

The make shift road divider is dangerous. Sadly, the case at many points in Bangalore.

This fly over was supposed to ease traffic flow. It actually causes a choke at either end. I don't understand why they do one at a time. I think there is one coming up in parallel and is far from complete.

I am a regular on the Kadugodi bridge near Whitefiled. Though much neater in implementation, the divider job is still the same concrete blocks. With a bus, there is next to no clearance. Then again, its a non issue for a bus. For a car, it can go wrong if you end up running too close to it. The flyover itself is so horrible in design that if any vehicle has a breakdown and its mostly trucks, you are going to be stuck there for it bit. It is so narrow that with two heavy vehicles on either side, there is next to no space even for a two wheeler to squeeze through. The condition of this flyover is such that it might just collapse one day.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th August 2014 at 15:29.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
the IDV was 5.05L and the estimated repair cost was 2.67L.

the insurance company had two options,

1) Paying me 5.05L(3.2L from buyer and 1.85L by the company)

2) They will pay me 1.85L and I will have to pay the remaining amount to repair the car which comes close to a lakh for me.
Just need a bit of clarification.You said the insurance company had 2 options. But how can they opt for the second option? i.e, when your total repair cost is 2.67L, how can they offer you just 1.85L only? Couldn't understand that clause.So this essentially makes it just a single option from the insurance company's end - In either case,They will shell out only 1.85L from their part. Isn't it? Or am I missing something here?

Isn't it possible that the Insurance company and the service centre guys could have joined hands to quote unreal repair costs. Because if 2.67L was the actual repair cost, how could they convince any buyer, to buy the car for 3.2L on which an estimated 2.67L repair work is already pending? So his actual total cost would be 5.87 (3.2+2.67) for a car whose IDV was only 5.05L. Definitely, they would have projected a lesser & much more realistic repair quote to that buyer to convince him into the deal.

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 14th August 2014 at 16:10.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:16   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Just need a bit of clarification.You said the insurance company had 2 options. But how can they opt for the second option?
Their objective is to bring down their liability to the lowest possible settlement amount.
Quote:
i.e, when your total repair cost is 2.67L, how can they offer you just 1.85L only? Couldn't understand that clause.So this essentially makes it just a single option from the insurance company's end - In either case,They will shell out only 1.85L from their part. Isn't it? Or am I missing something here?
This is called Salvage loss. They have a buyer for 3.2L and the difference amount when compared with the IDV is 1.85L. Now they can go for the lowest settlement amount which is 1.85L here(3.2L will be paid by the buyer). The repair cost 2.67L is on the higher side.

So as a customer you will have to either take the 5.05 IDV and come out or repair the accident car and pay the bill, but with only 1.85L from the insurance company. Anything more than 1.85L will be from your pocket. If you are able to repair within 1.85L then nothing like that.

Quote:
Isn't it possible that the Insurance company and the service centre guys could have joined hands to quote unreal repair costs. Because if 2.67L was the actual repair cost, how could they convince any buyer, to buy the car for 3.2L on which an estimated 2.67L repair work is already pending? So his actual total cost would be 5.87 (3.2+2.67) for a car whose IDV was only 5.05L. Definitely, they would have projected a lesser & much more realistic repair quote to that buyer to convince him into the deal.
Yes, there is a possibility that Insurance guy can hold hands with the service center guy and inflate the repair estimate.

In my case I discussed with known service centers and the best quote was around 2L to repair the car in bangalore. The accident happened in south tamil nadu so bringing the car back to bangalore was also difficult and expensive. Again, this 2L can go up after the test drive.

Now the buyer is not a individual, he is a dealer in bangalore who buys accident cars, repairs it and moves it out.

- He is not going to replace all the parts, he will try to just repair it.
- I am sure he will give a miss to airbag replacement.
- He will also have other accident cars, so if required he can use parts from the other cars(Swift, Dzire).

This way, he can bring down the cost and then push it to the used car market. Keep in mind that mine was a top end model(ZDI) and hence he can quote a higher price.

Last edited by arun_josie : 14th August 2014 at 17:18.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 19:17   #26
BHPian

I saw this happening on my way to Manyata Tech Park.
Sorry to hear all the agony you went through. This fly-over turns into crawl-over each time a tanker or slow moving goods vehicles climb it, I fail to understand why don't BDA restrict them from using flyover and suggest to use road beneath it, which otherwise nearly defeats the purpose of having this flyover.
Hope construction of adjacent flyover gets over soon, unlike one under use.
Old 14th August 2014, 22:48   #27
BHPian

Those pics make me feel very bad. There was no mistake of yours for all that the car and you are going through. Glad that the damage is only materialistic - yet another example of seat belts saving lives.

May 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM, I was heading to the airport in a cab and became witness of same kind of crash. The car involved was i10. Its high time they get rid of these temporary dividers (aka timebombs). Imagine a biker hitting them and falling down with speeding traffic behind him. This is frustrating. There is no respect or security of human life.

Did the insurance guys force you to lodge an FIR? They did when I made a claim of 50k+ earlier this year.
Old 15th August 2014, 00:00   #28
BHPian

Sad to see this accident..

When will our Civic bodies have sense in executing public works?

Pune has numerous such dividers. Some lean outside in an awkward angle, ready to hit any two wheeler passing by, and some are lying prostrate on the road.

One needs to be extra careful at night.

Anyways, thankfully no one got hurt in this one.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your accident. You must thank yourself and your passengers for having worn seat belts. I can imagine what this may have done to the human body under the circumstances. Luckily you had taken precautions.
Hope you get your car back in factory like condition.
Old 15th August 2014, 17:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Glad to know that you escaped unscatched from the incident, its really scary and sad at the same time on the way the incident happened due to no fault of yours.

AFAIK the concrete structures are temporary on the Nagwara flyover to make it dual lane, correct me if I am wrong.

For the tyres I see in the pictures that the right side tire is flat may be valve issue due to the impact or a cut. As long as there arent any cuts you can use them but like someone mentioned get it checked at Madhus once the car is ready.
I just re-checked and they told that they've been using the same tyre for testing and also checked for damages. Nothing to worry about so far and its no lost any air on the new rim. I'll definitely get it checked at Madhus once the car is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Those pics make me feel very bad. There was no mistake of yours for all that the car and you are going through. Glad that the damage is only materialistic - yet another example of seat belts saving lives.

May 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM, I was heading to the airport in a cab and became witness of same kind of crash. The car involved was i10. Its high time they get rid of these temporary dividers (aka timebombs). Imagine a biker hitting them and falling down with speeding traffic behind him. This is frustrating. There is no respect or security of human life.

Did the insurance guys force you to lodge an FIR? They did when I made a claim of 50k+ earlier this year.
Nope. FIR is only required when there is injury or loss of life. Also might be valid in hit and run cases where you can file a complaint against the other vehicle. Though I might be wrong on this one. But so far insurance or Ford hasn't asked for any FIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. You must thank yourself and your passengers for having worn seat belts. I can imagine what this may have done to the human body under the circumstances. Luckily you had taken precautions.
Hope you get your car back in factory like condition.
Thanks. When it comes to seat belts I'm quite particular that I wear them under all circumstances and I have to end up pestering some co-passengers until they wear theirs.

Most Viewed