Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 21:13   #76
BHPian

Re: Evidence-Based Driving for Safety: A Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I had subsequently explained what should have been looked for, in a post on this thread itself, and I quote...
I'm genuinely sorry for not going through the details. I've now read every word in this thread and also clarified on the facebook posts which one of my friend had posted, that the video was about the things "not" to do and the things to look out for if you get in that situation unfortunately. I've redirected them to this thread for more transparency.
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:18   #77
BHPian

Quote:

People habitually drive at 70+ km/h on that road even though the limit is 50 - and the cops with radars, when they are stationed there, ignore speeds up to 60 km/h.

Given those circumstances, maintaining 40-50 km/h is probably not a great idea. A minimum speed that is comfortable for other traffic too, reduces the chances of being rear-ended/sideswiped as an act of road rage by other madmen in bigger vehicles.
But sir isn't that the idea of driving in the center most lane, to enable people driving fast so that they can easily overtake. The time that I was driving was around 2200 hours and the number of vehicles was not too much. I say this because driving below 50 was actually not obstructing the traffic. My point here was why some people prefer overtaking from left and not right. At least 20 cars must have comfortably overtook me from the right. This driver was the only one who just kept pushing his luck to try and overtake it from the left.

Another point I wanted to make is, when you are driving straight and there is an obstruction in front of you, you should not change the lane, rather you should slow down, look in the mirrors and then change. I have seen infinite times, especially two wheel drives tail ending a bus or a car and if that stops , they just quickly move to the other lane without actually checking the oncoming traffic .
Old 14th October 2014, 12:05   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
At least 20 cars must have comfortably overtook me from the right. This driver was the only one who just kept pushing his luck to try and overtake it from the left.
LOL... He learnt driving in Europe/US!

But then, as you described, you felt safer once you increased your speed.
Quote:
Another point I wanted to make is, when you are driving straight and there is an obstruction in front of you, you should not change the lane, rather you should slow down, look in the mirrors and then change.
Indeed - swerving abruptly is one of the riskiest things to do while driving!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 16:03   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But sir isn't that the idea of driving in the center most lane, to enable people driving fast so that they can easily overtake. ... ... ... My point here was why some people prefer overtaking from left and not right.
No, the point is to drive in the left lane, which allows faster traffic to overtake in the middle lane and even faster traffic to overtake in the right lane. In practical terms, we have to accept (and even do) left hand overtaking, but, no, we should not take the middle lane to facilitate people who have been badly taught.

Quote:
Another point I wanted to make is, when you are driving straight and there is an obstruction in front of you, you should not change the lane, rather you should slow down, look in the mirrors and then change. I have seen infinite times, especially two wheel drives tail ending a bus or a car and if that stops , they just quickly move to the other lane without actually checking the oncoming traffic .
This is totally true, but sadly, people do not think beyond their own selves and how fast they want to go.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 16:31   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, the point is to drive in the left lane, which allows faster traffic to overtake in the middle lane and even faster traffic to overtake in the right lane.
I would have taken the left lane if I was extremely slow. Here the speed limit is 50 kmph and I am driving somewhat closer to it. Leaving the left lane mostly for even slower autos, cycles and buses that would stop at their bus stops. Also there are turns at the left so some cars eventually turn left too. In no way I could keep in the left most lane at all. A 50 kmph for left lane would have been faster.

One is supposed to use the right most lane to overtake and then pull yourself to the middle or left lane. Right lane must only be used for overtaking where the traffic is free flowing.

Hope people will understand that and respect others on the road and respect their own lives and safety too.
Old 14th October 2014, 18:54   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One is supposed to use the right most lane to overtake and then pull yourself to the middle or left lane. Right lane must only be used for overtaking where the traffic is free flowing.

Hope people will understand that and respect others on the road and respect their own lives and safety too.
And therein lies the whole frustration of driving in India. A snowflake has better chance of remaining unscathed in hell than changing the way India drives, in a short period of time. Do remember that traffic & road safety education is not of concern to most lawmakers and administrators, and such mundane things find no mention in the Road Traffic & Safety Bill either.

What is important to readers and participants of this thread is to remain safe, alive and unharmed while driving in the mayhem, where unconventional manner of driving is the rule - what we would call lawless, most drivers in the country accept and practice as a way of life.

Therefore, Jasmeet, if someone rear-ends you because you were sticking to 50 on a road with 50 kph limit, when the rest of the traffic is flowing at 80 kph (and there are certainly no cops with radar guns / interceptors late in the night - and even if they were, they'd ignore speeds of up to 60), please take measures and speed up a little, just to be safe. Not 80 kph, but 60 would be safer than sticking to 40-50 kph. I call it reducing risk, though purists might call it breaking the law.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 03:10   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would have taken the left lane if I was extremely slow. Here the speed limit is 50 kmph and I am driving somewhat closer to it. Leaving the left lane mostly for even slower autos, cycles and buses that would stop at their bus stops. Also there are turns at the left so some cars eventually turn left too. In no way I could keep in the left most lane at all. A 50 kmph for left lane would have been faster.

That is not the case, at least not in UK driving law/practice, which Indian rules seem to reflect. One is "supposed" to keep to the left. moving to the right, as necessary, when overtaking, and then move back to the left.

However, there is no point in obeying this to the point of zig-zag lane hopping: in the situation you describe in your first paragraph, I would agree that the middle lane suits.

Another aspect is keeping a margin between yourself and possible danger. That there is a real possibility of people, animals, other drivers, wandering into the left lane is, I think, another good reason for choosing the middle lane.

If a person wants to drive slower than the general traffic speed on a road then they should certainly, as long as it is safe, keep to the left lane. This is related to the actual speed of the traffic around us, not to what the speed limit might be.

By The Way...

I have seen a couple of motorway items on the BBC news recently: one driver was prosecuted for driving at 19MPH on a British motorway. Another was imprisoned for causing the death of motorcyclist: He thought he had a flat, and stopped in the right hand lane to check it out.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
What is important to readers and participants of this thread is to remain safe, alive and unharmed while driving in the mayhem, where unconventional manner of driving is the rule - what we would call lawless, most drivers in the country accept and practice as a way of life.
I remember I was following this thread avidly at the time. I lost track at some point because I was not logging in to TBHP for a period. Now I find that the thread has been left hanging. Don't know why. Is it because you were not getting a good response?

I hope you pick up again where you left.
Old 27th February 2016, 19:43   #84
BHPian

Quote:
:A teaching video that I use, from my own dashcam.

The video on YouTube also carries an explanation of the event, on the YouTube page.
Seriously 'Near Fatal', really scary. How did you notice that there was an oncoming vehicle into your lane suddenly ? Could you anticipate ?
Old 27th February 2016, 19:50   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Seriously 'Near Fatal', really scary. How did you notice that there was an oncoming vehicle into your lane suddenly ? Could you anticipate ?
Yes. I always try to anticipate a worst case scenario. And I don't use the horn in the fervent hope that such hazards will disappear with the force of the sound waves produced by the horn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Of course the horn has to be used to wake up sleeping drivers on a dual carriageway blocking both of the lanes and that too whose indicators doesn't work.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 16:16   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I always try to anticipate a worst case scenario. And I don't use the horn in the fervent hope that such hazards will disappear with the force of the sound waves produced by the horn.
Might be unrelated, but I have personally experienced not using horn makes me a rather sedate driver. And I actually like it that way now.

Horns and dipper/high beams are 2 of the most abused/misused things on our roads.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 10:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Might be unrelated, but I have personally experienced not using horn makes me a rather sedate driver. And I actually like it that way now.
I agree. If we consciously avoid using the horn, we start observing our surroundings in greater detail. For example, instead of assuming the bike that's coming from the opposite direction to carry on straight, we plan evasive action in case the rider decides to cut across in front of us to a narrow street a few feet ahead of our current position.

Quote:
Horns and dipper/high beams are 2 of the most abused/misused things on our roads.
I agree. Both stem from the impatience or frustration in most cases, but end up being an OCD for many
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks