Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 09:08   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

I hold my hands at 09.33 and 14.13 in most cars, in some I go really bonkers and do a 08.54 and 02.56!
Really guys, just make sure you hold the damn steering wheel with at least both hands!

Jeroen ( not even remotely worried about the airbag and the position of my hands)
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 13:09   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: 10-2 steering position? Nope, it's 9-3 for Airbag-equipped cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
make sure you hold the damn steering wheel with at least both hands!
What do you mean exactly by 'at least'?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 13:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Till date I have not thought about the positions. While starting, it is usually 9-3. But goes upto 10-2. It usually alternates between both the positions.

During highway drives while cruising at moderate speeds it may come down to 7-5 as well.
Old 13th November 2014, 00:23   #79
BHPian

I drive generally with my left hand on the lever or rested free on the armrest and the right at 12.

If I have to use both hands, then it's generally 10-2 for me, and I find it comfortable with no pain in the hands. After this thread, I'll definitely try the 9-3 as well.
Old 13th November 2014, 12:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I hold my hands at 09.33 and 14.13 in most cars, in some I go really bonkers and do a 08.54 and 02.56!
Really guys, just make sure you hold the damn steering wheel with at least both hands!

Jeroen ( not even remotely worried about the airbag and the position of my hands)
Quite honestly, even I am surprised at the existence of such a thread and the multitude of people debating about difference hand positioning only apart from each other by a few millimeters!

Does anyone even notice if their hand position is exactly on some set position?

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th November 2014 at 12:27.
Old 13th November 2014, 19:11   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
...people debating about difference hand positioning only apart from each other by a few millimeters!
In quoting Jeroen, you missed his sarcasm.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 00:35   #82
BHPian

For some reason, the conversation keeps coming back to comfort and everything else.

As was pointed out earlier, the reason 9-3 is recommended is that, it offers the most 'range of steering motion WITHOUT LIFTING YOUR HANDS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL. That's it. This is most important in maintaining a firm grip and superior control in a twisty high speed driving environment'.

That's the reason some if not most, of the F1 steering wheels 'do not even offer any other position. They're rectangular in shape with the top and the bottom half cut off'.

In a straightline, a firm grip at some position above the half line will suffice.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:03   #83
BHPian

Problems faced due to steering mounted controls - Suggestions please

I am 6.2 and drive Hyundai Santro GLS. One of the things that I have been enjoying in that car is that the steering holding position that it offers me. The horn pad is like a bird which has opened its wings.

10-2 steering position? Nope, it's 9-3 for Airbag-equipped cars-p_20150527_094540.jpg

Holding this way it helps me to do a 45 to the right and 135 degrees to the left on situations demanding evasive actions. Most importantly I can honk (with my thumb finger) and shift gears as my left hand is always on the gear (until and unless I am travelling on highways where I have absolute clarity and suspect no possible intrusions till my Line Of Sight. In which case both my right and left hands are at 9 and 3 ‘o’ clock) during such evasive actions trying not to hit unruly drivers on two wheelers or cars

I have loved this driving position and have seen its benefits almost 4 to 5 times now both inside city and on highways.
The trouble now is, if I want to upgrade my vehicle to any of the new models, I am not able to maintain this driving position due to the steering mounted controls!

1. Am I the only one who finds this position beneficial?
2. What options do I have, if I want the same driving position for any new vehicles?

If it helps to know, my search recently has been with i20, punto evo (looking forward to kwid) on hatchback segment and lodgy on MUV segment.
Looking for minimum safety of 2 Airbags and ABS (if possible EBD as well)
Old 27th May 2015, 15:48   #84
Team-BHP Support

Re: Problems faced due to steering mounted controls - Suggestions please

Leaving aside the obvious (don't but anything with steering controls), here's what you can do:

1. Try to adapt to a two-handed (10 & 2 or 9 & 3) driving position (tough in the city, I know). Safest but possibly impractical for city use.

2. Move your right hand to the 2 o'clock position. Least change from your current practice, but honking may become an issue based on the horn-pad's position.

3. Move your right hand to 12 o'clock. Not only does it give you better turning maneuverability on both sides (compared to the cramped right-turn range with the 3 o'clock position), but also improves access to the horn-pad (use your forearm to beep-beep). Obvious downside is your forearm getting in the way of airbag deployment during a collision.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th May 2015 at 15:52.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 15:55   #85
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I loved this about the Santro steering wheel too. I drove the Santro for 7 years after which I upgraded it to a Brio and sorely missed this for the initial few weeks. The Brio's horn pad is also considerably smaller and it has steering mounted audio controls on the LHS of the steering. I've eventually adapted to this and now place my right palm in a similar way you have in this picture and that lets me make quick corrective steering inputs and use the horn pad when needed too. Which ever car you buy, you will eventually adapt and get comfortable with the new position.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:04   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
1. Am I the only one who finds this position beneficial?
Previous generation Mercedes cars have steering controls on the horn pad. It is a huge convenience in a country like ours where horn saves lives and expensive repairs :-)

10-2 steering position? Nope, it's 9-3 for Airbag-equipped cars-2014mercedesbenzsprintersteeringwheeljpg.jpg

But even they also fell for the cost savings and clean design offered by the airbag+horn lump.

Quote:
2. What options do I have, if I want the same driving position for any new vehicles?
All the new cars will come with airbag+horn lump in the centre. You just have to learn new ways to reach the horn, I don't like it but can't do much about it.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:17   #87
BHPian

I drove a Santro for nine years and then moved on to a Linea T-jet and Punto. I am confident that you won't face any difficulty in getting used to the steering. Rather you will appreciate the HPS more than someone moving from EPS to Fiat's HPS. The issue you might face is turning the headlamps off while toggling between high and low beam or indicating a right turn. That can be a minor irritant, other than that I don't think you will find the steering controls intrusive.

The buttons aren't soft touch and there's space between the edge and buttons so, you can rest your palm and reach the horn with your thumb. I prefer pressing the horn with my palm as I believe it makes me a less compulsive honker.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:17   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Few days and few kilometers of driving a new car is all it would take - I am sure, you will come back here and tell us all that you have now got adjusted to the new Steering design.

In my WagonR, I had retrofitted Type III steering wheel that has 3 spokes and horn available on all the 3 spokes almost till where the spoke meets the wheel.

Then I bought the Ertiga - Took me less than a day to get used to the fact that I need to lift my hand in case I need to honk as the horn pad is in the center.

Well, easily 30,000 kms on the highway alone with the Ertiga and I know where to find the Horn Button when driving at highway speeds and that little Tata ace decides to change lanes for no apparent reason!

At times, I press my arm on the pad with my hand still holding the steering.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:34   #89
BHPian

The ideal hand position has been extensively discussed on another thread. Though everyone prefers his/her own angles/positions, the consensus is that the 10-2 or 9-3 position is the best.

But someone had made a valid point about why 10-2 is not the best position in newer generation cars. Firstly, it is a bit tiring and second, if the airbags deploy in an accident, you hands will be flung violently and will cause much damage.

Amongst the various steering holding positions I've tried, IMO, the 9-3 is the best. I've personally never faced any problem with steering mounted controls while driving. They aren't feather touch buttons that will get activated with the slightest touch.

Infact, most newer steering wheels are contoured to have a confortable grip when driving in the 9-3 position. Once you buy your car you will soon find the best position, don't worry. Nothing much to worry about

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 17:31   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a Liva GD at home without steering mounted controls, and an Etios VD with steering mounted controls.
Honestly, while driving both the cars - I noticed that I tend to use the horn a lot more in the Liva than in the Etios, but that aside there is no difference in how I turn or shift gears (I drive similar to you).
In fact, in the 60Kkm with the Liva, and 20Kkm with the Etios, I actually prefer the Etios with the steering mounted controls over the easier access to the horn - simply because I notice myself honking more in the Liva, and I have never faced a situation where the steering mounted controls were a hindrance when I actually needed to honk at an erratic driver / jaywalker.

Like others said - you just get used to it!
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed