Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 11:16   #46
BHPian

Re: 10-2 steering position? Nope, it's 9-3 for Airbag-equipped cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So how do you execute a right turn in the city?
Does that mean right/left turns or even u-turns cannot be made with only right hand on the steering at 3 position?
If that's so, I beg to differ.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 27th October 2014 at 11:20.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 11:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
My preference with my Honda's City is the 3 o'clock with the left hand on the stick, especially while driving in the city limits. I tend to use 9-3 position while driving in the ghats or on winding roads.
Ditto. Either there, or while doing a slow speed / parking spot maneuver.

Quote:
So how do you execute a right turn in the city?
SST da, see below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Does that mean right/left turns or even u-turns cannot be made with only right hand on the steering at 3 position?
If that's so, I beg to differ.
IMHO with modern EPS equipped cars, one hand is adequate for steering the car even in any emergency situations, provided that's what one has gotten *used to*. Agree with GHM and CPM above.

I spent about 15 mins on Sunday trying out other locations but they just didn't "feel" right. Help me understand what I've missed
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 12:38   #48
BHPian

In the city and in traffic it Right hand at 3 and left over the shifter. On the highways and at higher speeds, its mostly 7-5. May be wrong to do that but works for me as arms are rested on the lap and doesn't feel tiresome at the end of the trip.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
...I beg to differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Help me understand what I've missed
Can't explain unless demo'ed. Please continue to place hands(s) on steering/gear lever/armrest because it is after all your car and you must drive as you feel comfortable; but do remember that driving and racing trainers across the world are not harping on having both hands on the steering wheel for no reason but to keep you in an uncomfortable position in the driver's seat.

After all, your safety is your choice.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 13:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here is my experience with steering positions:
1. 10-2: very easy to turn steering, but strenuous on long drives because you get a feeling of keeping your hands up all the time.
2. 8-4: Very easy on long drives where you don't need to turn much. Gives the hand and shoulders good rest. But takes a bit of effort for turning even with (electronic) power steering.
3. 9-3: A compromise between the above two positions. Medium effort in holding the steering wheel, and medium effort in turning the wheel.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

After reading through the many posts made by people, I've been observing the position of my hands in different driving situations and except for the 9-3 I've been doing it all wrong going by what SS-Traveller has mentioned above; free-12, free-2, free-4, 7-2, 8-4 etc. However, these positions are "comfortable" for me. Also, most of the time I turn the steering with just one hand, unless the terrain is really bad.

Another thing I've noticed is that I've a tendency to keep my left hand near the handbrake; in the Getz this is between the co-passenger and driver's seat and a bit low. This is in case a situation requires emergency braking.

I do have very good reflexes (thanks to NFS and more than two decades of driving) and my hands return to 9-3 in the chance there is danger of any sort.

Is this wrong? Does this make me a bad driver?
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:41   #52
BHPian

Really good thread; I would have never otherwise questioned the 10-2 position that I had been taught.
While driving, my hands would automatically drop to the more comfortable 9-3 position after 30 mins or so of driving, but I would chide myself and then try to go back to 10-2.

A couple of other things that I have seen driving instructors teach which appear to be incorrect -
1. "Press the clutch pedal over speed-breakers to glide over them"
2. "Press the clutch pedal first and then the brake pedal"
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Allow me to put forward some points and thoughts:
Very useful points, thanks SST. It reaffirms my view that the 9-3 is the optimal way to hold the wheel.

I can relate to each of your points about the older practice on the rare ocassions I visit a relative who owns a 1980 Mk IV Ambassador. I take the car for a small drive and the position of the steering wheel and proximity to the ribs is indeed disconcerting (despite the ambassador being a much bigger car). It seems to me that even a small forward impact of my body on such a steering wheel would be highly injurious as my upper torso would directly impact the steering-wheel frame. The iron frame does not help much either (guess those had to be made of iron to withstand the mechanical wear and tear).

To add to what you said, the older vehicles usually had the gear lever on the steering column. In order to use this effectively, a 10-2 position was much more effective than 9-3.

Oddly enough a few months ago in Delhi, the wife of one of my friends strongly advised a 8-4 position saying it reduced crossing over of hands. I tried that a few times but as you mention, it induces wrist pain.

I also see people driving with left hand perpetually on the gear stick and can say from my own expereince that it adds a good few miliseconds to reaction time in case a sudden swerve is needed (for whatever reason). Those few miliseconds might make a lot of difference in a critical situation.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 11:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

I moved to a 9-3 position a few years back after reading about it somewhere. It took some effort, but later I found that this was the easiest position, particularly in the twisties that we come across in Kerala. Steering inputs and corrections are much more precise compared to 10-2 and I can just glide over the curves. Immaterial of where I keep my arms on a relased straight section (sometimes on the armrest or at the bottom, just out of tiredness) the steering inputs are always from the 9-3 position
Old 28th October 2014, 13:40   #55
BHPian

While we can argue amongst 10-2 or 9-3, it will always remain subjective. It will differ from person to person. For a person with a height around 6ft, 10-2 will be better steering position and a person with relatively lesser height may find 9-3 position better. Simply because it is more convenient to drive with your arms relatively straight rather than driving with your hand bend at the elbows. It reduces the chances of fatigue.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Can't explain unless demo'ed. Please continue to place hands(s) on steering/gear lever/armrest because it is after all your car and you must drive as you feel comfortable; but do remember that driving and racing trainers across the world are not harping on having both hands on the steering wheel for no reason but to keep you in an uncomfortable position in the driver's seat.

After all, your safety is your choice.
Another train of thought on driving with one hand on the stick; IMO, I feel driving with one hand on the stick enhances the reaction time to shift down gears. I don't drive this style for the above mentioned reason but thought of this while replying on this thread.

Also, I have never felt out of control or struggled to operate the city's steering with one hand, except while parking, on winding roads...
Old 28th October 2014, 15:47   #57
BHPian

For me, it is always just 3 in the city and highways alike. I use 9-3 only if there is a need to use both the hands for a very sharp turn or a sudden detour. Otherwise, it is just one hand at 3 with the left hand either on the stick or on the lap depending on the traffic situation.

A lot of things go into finding that right position - Your car, your height, driver seat set-up, your driving style etc. You should always decide considering the above factors but most importantly whatever is comfortable for you without jeopardizing the safety.

- Shiva
skotha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 18:37   #58
BHPian

To avoid boredom by driving constantly in the same position i prefer to change depending on the type of traffic i experience during travel.

The preferred position is always 3-9 or just 3/9. to stretch or relax my arms n shoulders move to 2-10. Somehow never been able to drive constantly on 9 with other arm on the window... However in US they call the G style where your hand is on position 9 and the other on the arm rest (which i used to find it comfortable).
Old 28th October 2014, 19:02   #59
BANNED

Sometimes, I like to lower the steering to the lowest position, and ride the top at 12, lo-rider like. Sometimes it's at 9-3, sometimes it's all over the place with no idea of the clock.

Does it matter? Dunno.

For every car that I drive, I feel the response is different based on where I place my hands. A large dia steering wheel might not give me the same degree of turn as a small dia wheel when at 9-3. Likewise, a small dia wheel car tends to get thrown around more when driven at 10-2 than 9-3.

End of the day, I don't think the position is as important as knowing and learning your car's response to your inputs. Your hand's position on the steering is not as important as knowing the tire's position w.r.t steering.

Sometimes, my hands are going round and round the wheel while the car is going straight. Stupid, I know, but the Qualis just makes me do stupid things. Like turning with one finger

Thank God I am not getting a driver's test every time I drive.

Cheers
Old 29th October 2014, 23:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post

A couple of other things that I have seen driving instructors teach which appear to be incorrect -
1. "Press the clutch pedal over speed-breakers to glide over them"
2. "Press the clutch pedal first and then the brake pedal"
Could you please explain the issues with doing these two actions?
Is it wrong/ harmful to press the clutch if one is slowing down gently like when approaching a round about you are at 70 kmph and know that you would need to slow down to around 20-30 depending on the traffic you encounter? If you are in the 5th gear, you would need to use your clutch as you start slowing down.

On point 1, don't you need to use the clutch if you slow down to go over speed breakers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks