Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 11:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving in England / UK: Same side of the road, but what's different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
In roundabouts in 'most' countries, if you see an approaching car from your (driver side) window, the approaching car has the right of way. The logic is simple - you can see the other car from the driver window, but the other driver can see you only through a (limited visibility) passenger window.
Be carefull with that one, you really need to check that per country.
In the Netherlands there are two different "right of way' situation on a round about. Made clear by traffic signs.

There is even a third variant, and that depends on the white lines/stripes leading up to the roundabout.

That is just three variants in one country!

If you want to generalize, here's a suggestion. Other then the UK, all of Europe drive on the right. And typically traffic coming from the right has the right of way.

There is even a fourth one, which is very straightforwards as there will be traffic lights telling you what to do.

On roundabouts there are two distinct different ways:

- Traffic entering the roundabout, as they'll be coming from the right, has the right of way over traffic on the roundabout

- Traffic on the roundabout has right of way over traffic entering the roundabout.

The latter one is, many would argue, the most logical one as it will ensure traffic flow. In essence the UK uses this model as well, but of course you will be going clock wise on the roundabout, rather then anti clock wise as in the rest of Europe.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

While on this topic, can someone clarify what this weird zig-zag line means? I saw this on a main road in Leeds, near Holt Park. By brother-in-law thought it meant 'no stopping' but wasn't sure.

Driving in England / UK: Same side of the road, but what's different?-trafficsigns.png
Old 14th May 2015, 14:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
While on this topic, can someone clarify what this weird zig-zag line means? I saw this on a main road in Leeds, near Holt Park. By brother-in-law thought it meant 'no stopping' but wasn't sure.

]
Wikipedia to the rescue, approaching (zebra) pedestrian crossing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 15:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Wikipedia to the rescue, approaching (zebra) pedestrian crossing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing
Many thanks! Looks like he was partially right about 'no stopping'. The article reads as :

'These zig-zag lines indicate to UK motorists that they are approaching a pedestrian crossing. It is an offence to stop a vehicle within the lines except when stopping for pedestrians using the crossing.'
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 17:57   #20
BHPian

I am driving in UK from past 4-5 years. My suggestion is
* Read the Highway Code (esp the road signs)
* If you are renting a vehicle then please rent/buy a GPS system.
* Follow the rules as there are cameras everywhere
* Drive safely and do not stress out
* Avoid driving in major cities where ever possible. Driving on motorways is relativity simple as you don't have to worry about too many road signs.
erohit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 18:49   #21
BANNED

I have held a UK license since 1974 and have spent five years there. No issues. I do hear they have become stricter on the speed limits.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 18:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
* Follow the rules as there are cameras everywhere
Remarkable suggestion to say the least! At least the suggestion is there that one should not have to follow the rules if there are no cameras.

I suggest follow the rules, just because that is the appropriate, decent and safe way to go.

Whether you get caught or not, should have no bearing on following or not following traffic rules I would hope!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 22:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Remarkable suggestion to say the least! At least the suggestion is there that one should not have to follow the rules if there are no cameras.

I suggest follow the rules, just because that is the appropriate, decent and safe way to go.

Whether you get caught or not, should have no bearing on following or not following traffic rules I would hope!

Jeroen
Thanks for correcting me Jeroen. I should have said
# Read the highway code to understand the rules and Follow them. Period.
Old 16th June 2015, 14:57   #24
BHPian

Ok, finally back from my first driving holiday abroad (UK to be specific) and had a great time. Thanks to a lot of pointers I got from this thread and cant really think of too many additional things to say. A few do come to mind.

1. One of the best and probably the most important advice I received here was:

Quote:
...do not stress out
Quote:
Enjoy yourself, don't be too stressed
The day I picked up the car - I was too stressed and got honked within 200mtrs of the rental place because I was being wayyy to cautious navigating a roundabout. For first timers, it may not be so easy to immediately start driving confidently but I really think that this advice came out on top!

2. I generally drive sedately and the driving attitudes in UK suited me. Even then I had to "unlearn" quite a bit of my Indian driving instincts. But that also meant that I drove far more relaxed.

3. Even if you don't remember the highway code book by heart, dont worry - most street signs / road markings are logical, well displayed and very well planned. Just drive relaxed and be courteous and calm.

4. Driving on motorways is by far the easiest and quickest way to travel. It may be boring at times but very convenient.

5. Similar to the above - driving in villages / small towns is generally easier than driving in large cities / towns

6. UK has three basic kinds of Roads - Motorways (prefixed M), A roads (prefixed A) and B roads (prefixed B). M roads are bigger / multiple laned than A roads and A roads are bigger than B roads (the second case may not always hold true). What is notable is that longer the suffixed number the smaller the road becomes and usually shorter.

That means - M1 > A1 > than say B900

more info here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...mbering_scheme

The above is not really relevant to driving - just a bit of trivia; but I thought to mention it coz, if you time and patience, the smaller the road the more scenic it becomes and that much less rush and traffic.

7. Dividers / roundabouts / lane marking will not always be physical barriers, but often will be painted onto the road. These are not to be crossed or driven over - unless there are specific instructions allowing to do so.

Driving in England / UK: Same side of the road, but what's different?-images.jpg

8. Upon entering large roundabouts / exit / entry areas - the corresponding lane (to where ever you are heading to) will be pained onto the road surface. Switch lanes in time and stay in your lane till the lanes merge once again.

Driving in England / UK: Same side of the road, but what's different?-41_27_22_web.jpg

10. The most confusing traffic rule I encountered was going for unmarked right turns. In several villages and towns, quite a few right turns are not marked and were also not governed by any traffic lights. In which case you only had the option to pull into the lane going right and wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic.

11. Following from the above, you need to know where to go NEXT while driving. Stopping to ask for directions / parking on the road is a strict no-no, unless you have an emergency. Have a GPS installed or alternatively use a road guide (with a good navigator) like the AA Route Planner - http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/c...anner_main.jsp

Please do keep in mind that the route planner may not be a 100% updated wrt road signages / road works etc. It is otherwise a very useful tool to plot the quickest (not the shortest) route.

12. A LOT of the towns / villages / cities in UK have existed they way they are today and have been for several centuries past. This means crowding of lanes, converging and diverging and in some places the roads we encountered were so narrow, that if even one lane was partly / wholly occupied, we went over the pavement / curb avoiding pedestrians to get across!!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by PGNarain : 16th June 2015 at 15:07.
PGNarain is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks