Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2017, 23:09   #61
BANNED

Re: God's Grace! Seatbelts, child seat & safe car - An accident survivor's tale

From all the highway safety things I've read upon if an animal or well, in this case, a tire is in front of you, the best thing is to ram it head on than try and maneuver the car at high speed causing loss of control.
I have definitely had lapses in judgment and had to swerve to avoid hitting a truck etc, but whenever it is a small object, the best is to brake hard and stay in a line.
When you brake and steer the grip of the tires is divided into stopping it and turning it, in some cases you will not end up turning enough to avoid, or slowing down enough to prevent damage, basically worst situation to end in.
In this case, the reason for the tire burst is something I can't figure, had it not been that I feel it would have just been a usual near miss. Please share if you or the insurance surveyor has found out the cause of the accident/tire burst.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 02:39   #62
BHPian

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

Your car was about 60k+ kms old and also happened to be a hot summer, with you driving at 100-110 kmph ->
How old were your tires? Could old tires and hard braking at high speeds be a reason for tire burst that you mention here?

P.S. -> Speeding above 100 kmph, is something we always should think twice. Most of us often hear / read such incidents but tend to forget the same, once we get behind the wheel.

Last edited by Eyas337 : 29th March 2017 at 02:40.
Eyas337 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 12:49   #63

Glad you and your family are safe.

Incidents like these last for a few seconds but the memory stays forever.
Your good judgement and presence of mind saved you.
I've often been tagged as a paranoid person for asking the rear seat occupants to fasten their seat belts. I'm going to insist they wear henceforth.
rajesh1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 14:27   #64
BHPian

Glad to hear that your family is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
In the next few minutes, a Maruti OMNI ambulance came to the spot quickly (no idea how it came there, may be going towards hospital in Hosur or some villager called it) and was asking us to get in. I politely told them, we are okay and ambulance is not needed.
But I think you should have visited the hospital after the major crash. Internal injuries/bleeding are difficult to feel/realize in most cases. And it is best that you let a doctor decide that you are Okay.

Your experience is a good reminder for me to always keep safe braking distance in my vision and not drive fast into blind corners/slopes.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:35   #65
BHPian

Ravi - so glad you and your family are safe. I think what many of us have said, is it is very dangerous taking any kind of chances on an Indian highway. Unlike in the US or in Europe, there are a whole lot of unpredictable things that can happen (for ex. buses coming head on on the wrong side of the road, cattle, etc.). Many people have ridiculed me as a "snail" for going at 80/90 on a national highway, but I always value safety over speed. After all, as another Bhpian said "Everything in life can be replaced except for the life itself".

Last edited by motorguy : 29th March 2017 at 14:48. Reason: spelling error
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 23:13   #66
BHPian

Thanks to almighty god that you and your family is safe. Indeed the car took the beating but it kept you guys safe. This is the advantage of investing in a safe car.
Hope your family comes out of the trauma soon.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 10:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

The adage God helps those who help themselves has been proved right once again. Had you guys not been under the protection of seat belts, somebody else would have been telling your story - albeit with not so happy ending (God forbid). Front passengers are increasingly wearing seatbelts either because of awareness or at least due to strict enforcement of law. The rear seat occupants, on the other hand, still find it a hassle. Your story will remain a chilling lesson on the importance of wearing seatbelts.

Hope you and your family will recover from the mental trauma soon. On the physical front, it would not be a bad idea to consult a GP and get a general checkup. One can never be sure of internal impact of an accident. And, please take your child to a paediatrician and get her examined.

A YouTube video that very touchingly conveys the importance of wearing seatbelts has been posted here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-cs-gls-5.html

YouTube link:

dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 10:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

It's great that all of you were belted up. This unfortunate accident could be avoided if you practiced defensive driving. Anytime you approach an area of road where in your visibility is compromised (example a upslope, blind corner, parked vehicles, slow moving trucks etc) you got to remove your foot off the accelerator. Don't brake but don't continue at the same speed. This gives your brain a precious few seconds to analyse the situation and expect or prepare for possible danger ahead and react accordingly. Once you see the road ahead as clear you can resume normal speed. Had you done this, you would have spotted the tyre earlier, and most likely either braked or steered well clear of it.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 10:23   #69
BHPian

It's so good to hear that you and your family are safe after such an accident.

We also have one i20 Asta.
However, all my friends and family laugh at me when I use the seat belt in the rear seat.
I saw this practice in many developed countries when I started out in my job and realized that it's just second nature to people over there.
Kestrel5915 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 10:40   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
It's great that all of you were belted up. This unfortunate accident could be avoided if you practiced defensive driving. Anytime you approach an area of road where in your visibility is compromised (example a upslope, blind corner, parked vehicles, slow moving trucks etc) you got to remove your foot off the accelerator. Don't brake but don't continue at the same speed. This gives your brain a precious few seconds to analyse the situation and expect or prepare for possible danger ahead and react accordingly. Once you see the road ahead as clear you can resume normal speed. Had you done this, you would have spotted the tyre earlier, and most likely either braked or steered well clear of it.
I absolutely. This is exactly what I always follow and also ensure that it is followed (when I am in the passenger seat). We can always blame the moron who was responsible for the tyre on the road after the accident. But does that help in any way? The onus is always on us to handle anything that is thrown at us to ensure our safety first and then curse.

Last edited by Nalin1 : 30th March 2017 at 10:55.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 16:42   #71
BHPian

Really sorry to know about the accident but thanks to god for keeping you guys safe. The pics tell the tale of the stable bodied Hyundai i20. The seat belts have solved their purpose. Appreciate your driving skills to manage the accident with minimal impact with the safety of all passengers. Hope you and your family recover from the trauma soon and come back to normalcy.
amitpatnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 15:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Really Glad that all of you came out of the car safely. Definitely it is crime to throw or leave a truck tire on a National Highway.

I presume the following facts would have caused the tire burst

1. It is pretty hot summer and tires would have got very hot due to continuous drive + Hot Tarmac. When the car is turned to right or left suddenly, there will be an increased friction to the tire which increases the temperature of already heated tire.
2. If in case, the tire had low air pressure(My Assumption), then, the tire temperature would have increase further than normal

These two would have caused the tire to burst.

In addition, I saw in one of the posts that the local shop keeper told just few minutes back, there was another tire burst of the truck and the tire is just left there.

Did you see any local tire puncture shop near by accidents place? I expect the answer to be YES and strongly suspect that the shop keeper would have thrown few nails there (Shop keepers words would justify my doubt) which will cause puncture first and then tire burst due to hot temperature.

In my opinion, to stop this, a thorough survey of the road has to be carried out to search for nails. If there are nails found, then, the local police should be informed immediately

Last edited by gkveda : 31st March 2017 at 15:18.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 15:25   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Absolutely. I follow this rule while passing through any crossing on a highway. Lift your foot off the throttle and just place it on the brake pedal (without pressing the clutch). Let your car roll freely through the crossing while you remain vigilant of your surroundings. This way, you get an extra couple of seconds to react, plus, since the car is free rolling, the speed would have reduced to some extent, hence you would be in a better position to handle any eventuality.

I see many cars who just continue to accelerate even through crossings Can never imagine myself doing that.
You never know what and who will come up before you on Indian highways. Prevention is always better than cure.
greatgyan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 12:37   #74
BHPian

Hi Friend,

First of all, I must say you were blessed to see this day after that horrific incident.
I have driven on several occasions across this stretch from Hosur to Krishnagiri and can easily associate with the location. Personally, I would never shoot the car at high speeds into blind areas like this one. Indian roadways are no autobahn and can come up with nasty surprises at places where you expect them the least. There could be a zebra crossing, a broken vehicle, a sleeping cow, a slow moving two wheeler, workers painting the median, a tanker parked to water the plants at the median, or anything that one could wildly think of.

It is always advisable to maintain sane speeds (the ones at which the car is in full control and can be brought down to a complete halt, if need arise, without risking a thing) while approaching blind areas. It is the driver’s entire responsibility to negotiate all hurdles that our great highways throw in, with diligence and complete the journey by ensuring safety of the passengers and his own self.

Sorry to be harsh, but to me it is the I20 driver who owes the responsibility for this incident. The lessons that are learnt in a hard way are usually the ones that are long remembered and implemented studiously. Hope this holds good in your case as well.
King_pin09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 15:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thank God you guy's are safe. I faced a similar issue of a lorry tyre being in the middle of a highway road while travelling from Madurai to Nagercoil. Luckily I was able to steer safely away from hitting the tyre at very high speed. It was dark too.

At the next toll booth I also informed the officials about this and they promised to alert highway patrol to have it removed immediately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks