Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2017, 16:30   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: God's Grace! Seatbelts, child seat & safe car - An accident survivor's tale

Nice to know that you and your family are safe Ravi ! Hope you guys get over this incident and get back on the road again soon !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:05   #77
BHPian

Glad that you came out unscathed.Hope you are recovering well, these kind of incidents take a toll on children. How is your kid doing?

I always emphasise people to wear seatbelts. Shared your narration over watsapp who had shown too many tantrums before putting on seatbelts.

I have faced some frequent questions below, many a times-
firstly, You tell everyone to wear seatbelts and someone comes up with this reply "you drive safe we will be safe. No need of seatbelts"
Secondly, When I reiterate on wearing seatbelts and how people have been saved from major accidents , immediately someone frowns and says "why do you always talk of such inauspicious or evil things before the journey".

How do you guys deal with such situations?
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:58   #78
BHPian

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Thank God that you three are fine and there are no major injuries. I totally agree. Seatbelts are a must especially on highway drives. I tell everyone to wear seat belts at all times and even the passengers at the back. It saved my friends and I in an accident that happened a few months ago. Airways buckle up, whether you are in the city or highway, sitting in the front seat or back seat, short distance or long. Most accidents happen because of things beyond our control. No matter how good a driver you are or you think you are, we all are at risk especially with the driving style and conditions in our country. Stay safe. God bless you three
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know that all of you are safe.

Such is the uncertainty on Indian Highways. Lesson learnt: reduce speed in uphill climbs. Glad the car absorbed the damage very very well, making the need for safer cars more apparent.

A SA at the local garage tell me that the i20 and Getz were mainly made for export and therefore got better quality parts compared to the Elite i20.

Hyundai supplies EU with (elite) i20s from Turkey and there was a news report in the Australian media that the Indian made (elite) i20 would score only 3 stars in ANCAP. I can't tell with confidence that the elite i20 is unsafe, but the feedback is that overall part quality is less compared to the Getz or 1st gen i20.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 22:52   #80
BHPian

Good that you all came out of this major accident with minor injuries!

Really adore your thought process behind chosing the car 'Safety'.

U had Yokohama Earth 1 installed, which is claimed to be a good tyre. But really cant understand, why it blew off with just a tilt of the steering, even if the road was hot. I believe this is something which can be investigated.

And seriously a salute to you and your family who strictly adhere to the 'Safety First' approach. Most of the men might agree that at times its impossible to make them all wear seatbelts.

And very well said by you that its not the price tag of the car which saves lives, but the basic safety rules do, if adhered to.
PB10rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:55   #81
BHPian

Thank God, you and your family are safe! Your no-nonsense approach towards safety saved your lives. Hope you guys recover well!

I don't believe how can someone be so stupid to leave a tire in the middle of a highway. Such reckless, inconsiderate idiots cause trouble for others on road, whether driving or not.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

How old are the tyres? what make was that?

There are lots of pressure checking equipments available & its better to have one to check the tyre pressures before any long journey.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:19   #83
BHPian

You sir are really lucky to walk away un-injured.

I also had a similer tyre burst incident in my Hyundai Accent last year. I was returning from Shanku's water park, Mahesana to Ahmedabad. While ascending a fly-over at a speed of 90, The Front left tyre blew out. I was just able to stop the car to a halt without any mishap. I think it was the slant due to which the load was on rear tyres and the nose didnt dive in.

It was one of the most scary incidents of my life. What I recall from the incident that the tyre started wobbeling(More like Jumping) just before the sound. I got suspicious so I brought down the speed from 120 to 85-90 KPH. Now I avoid highway trips in summers afternoons.

The car was on its original pair of tyres. I replaced 2 of them with MRF ZV2K. Its going great since.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 13:48   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
...immediately someone frowns and says "why do you always talk of such inauspicious or evil things before the journey".

How do you guys deal with such situations?
Tell them that if they belt up on their own, you wouldn't ever need to bring up something like this before the journey! (So basically it's their fault )

Some more replies to excuses here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th April 2017 at 13:51.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 15:03   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow had missed this thread till our conversation few days back. Glad that everyone came out unhurt.

Due to gradients and heavy traffic Hosur - Krishnagiri section sees lots of accidents, in your case though it was an external factor which caused the accident, you were lucky that you did not end up brushing against any other vehicle.

Another incident which is news since past couple of days explains how any action on highway can have cascading and disastrous consequences. Link

Anyways, hope you and family recover from the accident soon and get back on road. Also, do keep us updated about your new car plans.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 16:56   #86
BHPian

Thanks for sharing! Glad that you and your family are safe, thanks to the safe practices followed by everyone.

Like many of us here have mentioned, the one major reason behind any major accident is speed. Once we get going on the highway, we become somewhat oblivious to the speed, it's effect on the braking distance and how quickly speed can build up. More so if the roads are clear. This is not to say that you were speeding. You tried your best to avoid the collision with the tyre and came out alright due to the seatbelts.

Wish you and your family a quick recovery.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed