Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2017, 13:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: God's Grace! Seatbelts, child seat & safe car - An accident survivor's tale

Am so happy that your family managed walked away from such a scary experience.

I will share this thread with everyone who thinks that seatbelts are not mandatory and that kids can be left unrestrained. Thanks a lot for sharing.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 14:11   #17

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe after this horrendous accident. As you said seat belt is the most basic and the most important safety equipment of the car, something that many of us while driving on highways forget to use thinking it is fine or thinking that there are no cops to fine us. Your accident is an eye opener for people who think in that way. Hope everyone stays as safe as possible while driving on highways.
Dipankar89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 14:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ravi

I spoke to you after you met with the accident. I was shocked and thanking GOD that no vehicle came in the opposite direction.
You have conveyed a very important message of WEARING SEAT BELTS. It is an eyeopener for everyone.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 14:27   #19
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your accident but thanks a lot for sharing it here.
Hope it educates more people about the importance of wearing seat belts.

In the hindsight, do you think it would have been better to brake hard and hit the tyre at reduced speed than trying to avoid it? Not sure if there was enough time to bring the speed down hence asking.

Anyhow, glad to know you all are fine as the car looks real bad.

Stay safe.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 14:40   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravi - Glad you all came out of this horrific accident without major injuries/fatalities.

Kudos to you for always wearing seat belts and also for insisting on the rear passengers wearing seat belts - that definitely helped in the outcome
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:05   #21
BHPian

Thanking God that you and your family are safe.

I completely understand how you felt and being able to see everything as the accident was happening and recall it. I was also caught in an accident few years back down the same stretch after Dharmapuri, in a vehicle without ABS or Airbags, due to my swerving suddenly to avoid a sign that was left behind on the road suddenly (after somewhat of a blind spot on the road) inadvertently pressing the brake and ending up with wheels locking /vehicle flying off the road / turning over couple of times /landing in a nearby field. When a related discussion comes up, I keeping telling anyone who listens to me that the only reason my family and me are alive today is because we wore seatbelts & God's grace.

Coming out of the ordeal will take time, but you will surely come out stronger!

My only advise is to keep your head down grounded in reality along with some other quiet activity to keep your interest going, go through the required steps like insurance procedures and spend time with your family. After my experience, everytime I saw my family alive and talking to me, I was very very thankful to God and his grace.

And again, I completely second / third /nth your faith in seat belts.
manij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:06   #22
BHPian

Just want to say 2 things:

1. Thank GOD that all of you are safe! Moments like these make us believe his existence.
2. After reading your post and looking at the pictures, people who don't buckle up and don't think about safety will be forced to change their perspective.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident, but thank God you are safe. Just makes one wonder, the stupidity of someone else causes so much harm and near fatal damage to some innocent person.
While I used to mandatorily wear the seatbelt while driving and insist on my front co passenger to also buckle up, I will insist on the rear passengers doing the same in my car from now on.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:16   #24
BHPian

@ravib A miracle that you guys walked out of that! Truly blessed. Welcome to the second life. Stay safe, drive safe.
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:20   #25
BHPian

Thanks a ton for sharing. I plan to take a print out and keep it in my car. It should serve as good reading for anyone who argues to not wear a seat belt while sitting in the rear seat on a highway trip.

While the damage to the front right can be isolated to the tyre burst/climbing the divider, how did so much damage occur to the boot and rear roof?
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:29   #26
BHPian

I wonder Prahlad saw 'Vishnu' inside a pillar; how he stepped out of a seat belt...

On a serious note, congratulations to your family for putting a strong 'safety process' in place when you are long drives. The 'process' is what a lot of families skip exposing themselves. Have a robust process in place - everybody please.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 27th March 2017 at 15:32.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:37   #27
BHPian

Thank goodness man!

From a fellow Bangalorean, I feel happy for the grace you had on that day and I wish your family gets over the shock quickly. The photo of your car standing in the opposite lane is truly scary. Keep us posted further.

Last edited by Mahven : 27th March 2017 at 15:40. Reason: Grammer
Mahven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 16:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see that you and your family are safe.

Your act of taking time and effort to make others learn from your experience and trust in seat-belts is what make me feel very proud of you. Take a bow.

At the same time, had you didn't swerve and hit the tyre at lower speed and then Airbags deploying would also have also resulted in total loss.

Also if the car would have hit other vehicle from the opposite lane, then the things would've been really terrible for not only you and your family but for that other vehicle too. That's where the God and your luck came into play.

I would also like to specifically point that had your speed been 80-90 compared to 100-110 as mentioned by you, you would've been in far better control. Its not about safe speed but the forces that got multiplied with small increase.
carwatcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 16:31   #29
BHPian

The Lord & Luck have been with you and your family and let them be with you throughout.
I am going to forward this thread personally to my near & dear to understand the importance of life saving seat-belts.

Mods, can this thread be made available in FB as well, so that the word spreads more.
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 16:44   #30
BHPian

God Bless your family Ravi!

It's your good practices of belting up all occupants and using child seat that are really commendable. Leave this bad memory behind you and wish you and your family a happy and long life. Bless your daughter, it must have been traumatising on the young mind. Reassure the brave little one and tell her all will be well.

Variants and affordability debates go on in our minds endlessly when we are in the buying stage, but no amount of money can fathom the lives saved after such an incident. Airbags, Seatbelts Usage, and Child Seats are the bare minimum we have to ensure in our cars.

God bless you!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks