Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2018, 22:04   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video: A mini-truck goes berserk & my evasive maneuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Today's scenario
Last night screenshot

I had seen your post yesterday night and immediately checked hot threads section. This thread was very much there.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 18th February 2018 at 22:06.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 23:21   #137
BANNED

I think DRIV3R got upset about the way some of us tried to point out the mistake. It’s normal from his part, because I have gone through that. But once you cool down and think, the correct way was to go to the left. No two ways about it. But in this case, DRIV3R had a clear sight of the right lane and he moved a bit to that side. This is the moment of realization for the Dost driver and he decides to correct course! DRIV3R can in no way expect that Dost driver would correct his mistakes and now he can’t go back to left lane, if he did he would have been in obituary column. Since the right lane was fairly empty, he continues to go ahead and avoids the Dost.

In these kind of situations never try to think what the other driver will think, no human being has that capability. There is no time for that, the moment you decide to think what the other one will be thinking, you are destined for tragedy. I'm sure most of us have overtaken vehicles from right side in even more dangerous situations.

DRIV3R you did the best of that situation and I appreciate that. But it's not a recommendable thing for all situations. What I would take home from Samurai's point would be ready for a left directed manoeuvre in case a similar situation occurs and not try the manoeuvre you did as a norm. Having said that I don't find fault with what you did. But Samurai isn't wrong either. Please don't take these arguments personally. We all are far better than that at Team-bhp.
The Rationalist is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 00:16   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Believe me, you are sounding quite stubborn yourself, seen from the other side. Why do you want to browbeat someone into accepting your view of his action? Nor is he alone in his view. Are we here to talk, or to be judge, jury and executioner?
Fair point. My last outburst was a bit unprovoked since OP hadn’t directly replied but another member defending him had.
Quote:
If you want to say that in most situations one should try to brake and move left, that it is a sound defensive driving technique - I am willing to accept it. But from there you want to assert that in all situations, and, therefore, in this particular situation too, that was the right thing to do, I refuse to accept. No manual can be written for all possible situations.
I think the point some of us are making is that the situation is not so unforeseeable that nobody has written laws about it. But I get what you mean.

Quote:
It is a basic principle of defensive driving that you anticipate the worst.
That is quite an insight.

After 25 years of driving on Indian roads, I do know that survival takes precedence over legality and it would be really hypocritical of me to claim that I have never done anything against the law to save my skin from imminent doom. Given this, I can certainly bring myself to appreciate why OP made the move that without doubt saved his skin on the day.

All said and done, I hope none of us are forced to make such a choice because of an inconsiderate or inattentive moron.

Drive safe, people!
noopster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 07:56   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I think this topic has been discussed enough. In some areas, let's agree to disagree .

Thread closed.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:42   #140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, missed this post and felt that a clarification is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I could have posted this snapshot earlier but I thought I won't get such a situation.
The thread was very much there (refer to Naren's post above too).

Possible reasons you didn't see it:

1. Bug?

2. Is that a screenshot you've taken? If not, could be the work of a photoshop artist.

3. End of the day, understand that we are not indecisive. If something was indeed *removed*, there really is no point adding it back. If I wanted something deleted, trust me, it would stay deleted. If something is removed, it's removed. Permanently.

And just FYI, we are the ones who decide what goes there in the first place. If we didn't feel it deserved a place on the 'hot threads', it wouldn't have gone there. In fact, I'm the one who moved the original video to a new thread!

Next time, please ask for a clarification before making baseless allegations. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks