Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 13:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Video: A mini-truck goes berserk & my evasive maneuver

This happened today morning on my way to Bangalore. Between Veppur and Chinnasalem.

Animated GIF:
Name:  driverGIF.gif
Views: 19034
Size:  2.58 MB

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2018 at 13:37. Reason: Adding animated GIF too (in case youtube is blocked for some people) :)
DRIV3R is offline   (140) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
This happened today morning on my way to Bangalore. Between Veppur and Chinnasalem.

Whoa! What was he trying to do!!!
And what a quick reaction from you!
sanjaykk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Great reaction from your side. Any second delay could have turned this scenario into a bad one.

I think the driver dozed off or was distracted by doing something (eg making a phone call) that led him to take his eyes off the road for a second or so. Very scary. Kudos once again to your reflexes. There were two critical points when the vehicle came aiming towards you at speed - first when the Tempo drifted into the wrong lane and second then he corrected the path and turned sharply back into his lane. Both times you were in danger and you handled it so well.

Last edited by DriverR : 12th February 2018 at 14:14.
DriverR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That was an amazing evasive maneuver by you. But the bikers seem to continue as if nothing happened. Didn't they stop?
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG! That was one heck of an avoiding maneuver. The driver of the AL Dost was very badly distracted for sure. If there was any more traffic on the road, things would have turned very ugly very quickly.

Looking at the dashcam speed readout (assuming it is accurate) looks like you accelerated you way out of the situation?
KiloAlpha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What was that idiot doing?
Apart from your good reflexes, you were really lucky there was no vehicle behind him
hemanth.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My observation is you judged the DOST vehicle coming your way and momentarily reduced the speed that helped in maneuvering around that vehicle. Good reaction and judgement on your part. Cant imagine what would have been the situation if this had happened in the night.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised by your evasive action. It was completely unexpected for me. Thank God everything went well.
If i was in your place, i would have moved to the leftmost shoulder lane or possibly off the road on the left side. This has happened to me before when a moron on innova almost hit me. But I escaped getting hit by moving to the extreme left side. Moving to the right is always not an option on a busy road.
n_naik is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 15:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
I was surprised by your evasive action. It was completely unexpected for me. Thank God everything went well.
If i was in your place, i would have moved to the leftmost shoulder lane or possibly off the road on the left side. This has happened to me before when a moron on innova almost hit me. But I escaped getting hit by moving to the extreme left side. Moving to the right is always not an option on a busy road.
Exactly what I would have done.
However in this case foreseeing ahead of the goods carrier and moving to right was a good move.
Hand of God.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely cool evasive maneuver. I think the situation was saved due to early precautionary braking you did few meters earlier.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th February 2018 at 16:27. Reason: Please avoid Youtube link while quoting. Thanks.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 16:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Terrifying, and you're response is just amazing. I don't think I could/would have done that, in which case I would not be posting this now

Humble respect to you and your skill. Very probably you saved lives, including your own, that day.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 17:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant maneuver, glad that it ended well While watching the video, I couldn't have pulled your move. I would have most likely moved to the extreme left. Did that thought cross your mind?
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 18:00   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I think the AL dost was trying to get into the mud road (which you see on the left, just before the encounter), at speed, drifting. Two wheelers, he is used to swatting like a fly ; but boy must he have had a shock doing the zig zag between the two wheeler and you. What was his original plan before he saw you ? That he was mika hakkinen, and could drift his way into the right angled mud road ? Atleast people should value their own lives ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

That was an amazing evasive maneuver by you. But the bikers seem to continue as if nothing happened. Didn't they stop?
Yes, they did, they came to a halt and were shell shocked, I was checking if the scene behind is okay, after I escaped the numb-skull by a whisker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

Looking at the dashcam speed readout (assuming it is accurate) looks like you accelerated you way out of the situation?
The dashcam reads out the GPS speed, so the speedo speed is approx 10% more, IIRC I was cruising at 90ish kmph, and once I saw this guy swerving towards the bikers, I moved slightly across the median, only to be shocked to see him change direction towards me, head-on. I actually slowed down and moved to extreme right, as I had nowhere else to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
What was that idiot doing?
Apart from your good reflexes, you were really lucky there was no vehicle behind him
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Brilliant maneuver, glad that it ended well While watching the video, I couldn't have pulled your move. I would have most likely moved to the extreme left. Did that thought cross your mind?
Am guessing D&D or drowsiness. I did not have the option of moving to the left for 2 reasons. 1 - Was originally anticipating the Dost guy to cross the path on my left, after his first stunt. 2 - It would have been a close call with my speed and the shell shocked 2 wheelers slowing down.

Am beginning to think if someone wanted to kill me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I think the AL dost was trying to get into the mud road (which you see on the left, just before the encounter), at speed, drifting. Two wheelers, he is used to swatting like a fly ; but boy must he have had a shock doing the zig zag between the two wheeler and you. What was his original plan before he saw you ? That he was mika hakkinen, and could drift his way into the right angled mud road ? Atleast people should value their own lives ?
I saw him in the opposite lane, then Stunt 1 happened, which was a sudden swerve towards the two wheelers, he was at good speeds, and then Stunt 2 happened, the swerve turned towards me!
DRIV3R is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 23:22   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Video: A mini-truck goes berserk & my evasive maneuver

DRIV3R, amazing reflexes & reaction man! Glad you got away safe.

Moving your post + replies to a new thread, just as a reminder as to what kind of idiots we share the road with.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks