Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Automatic Transmission Cars: What happens in case of accidents?

I have observed on braking hard in automatic transmission [AMT], the gears downshift down to 1st gear - does not shift to neutral & importantly does not switch off.

Suppose there is an accident and the driver happens to lose total control [say he or she loses consciousness] will the engine still be running and if the drivers foot is not over the break pedal - will the car continue to creep, thereby causing further damage to vehicle / people close by?

In the above situation, if its a manual transmission and the driver loses control [say loss of consciousness or an episode of seizure] and the clutch is not pressed well enough, I would expect the engine to switch off (stall).

I have never driven a CVT or TQ or DCT transmission, so not sure if my question is valid for these transmissions.

PS: To moderators, I could not find a similar thread or answers to this (with search using +) in the forum, kindly move this if the thread exists.
bpnpmr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 00:29   #2
BHPian

re: Automatic Transmission Cars: What happens in case of accidents?

Good question. It's applicable to all forms of automatic transmissions, not just AMTs.

Skoda has this thing called Multi-Collision-Braking (MKB) which applies brakes automatically after an accident to prevent subsequent accidents.
http://www.skoda-auto.com/world/driv...ty-systems-i-s

Not sure if this has been copied by other manufacturers, or if the expectation is that if the collision is really that severe, the engine / Transmission will fail to provide forward thrust anyway.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 11:34   #3
BHPian

Re: Automatic Transmission Cars: What happens in case of accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

Skoda has this thing called Multi-Collision-Braking (MKB) which applies brakes automatically after an accident to prevent subsequent accidents.
http://www.skoda-auto.com/world/driv...ty-systems-i-s
Not just Skoda. Several others manufacturers too have a similar feature. This is directly linked to Adaptive Cruise Control, whose advanced versions include Collision/Emergency braking. After the collision, park brake will be applied to prevent vehicle from rolling away. Many GM, Fiat cars have this.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 00:24   #4
BHPian

Re: Automatic Transmission Cars: What happens to gear shifts in case of accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

Not sure if this has been copied by other manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
This is directly linked to Adaptive Cruise Control, whose advanced versions include Collision/Emergency braking.
Wagon-R does not have cruise control and the manual does not make a mention of MKB. What about cars with AMT then? My logical reasoning suggests that not having this safety feature is a risky proposition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks