Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 18:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Ended up paying for my carelessness - An accident in the parking lot

Honda City 2019 also has this battery issue. First, it will no show with a week's time. Then it will be no-show every other day. Nope, the battery isn't weak. That's how it ends up to be.

I do not want to rub salt into your wounds. Now, that you have learnt an expensive lesson, I am sure you will not neglect to check the parameters, next time.

Some lessons will hit with you a cost, whether you are ready to pay for it or not.
benvsben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post

Tata Safari Storme being one of the cars that can't be started if clutch pedal is not pressed.
We have a Tata Safari Storme 2013 VX 4x2 and I can confirm that the car starts without the clutch being depressed.
Luckily we have the habit of Using the clutch and Having to depress the clutch in our grand i10 auto and City2016 has gotten us used to the habit

I am guessing that your car is a later model and TATA has incuded the Safety feature in the later models,
a much needed feature to avoid mishaps like these, especially considering what a behemoth of a car it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
however the gears would work in a standstill car. So this is how I completed the drive and took the car to Ratnagiri (about 30 kms) using this approach.

So you're saying that you
  1. Stopped the car
  2. slotted it into gear
  3. started the car with it being in gear (jerky start , I will guess??)
  4. drove like that all along?

How did you manipulate the speed throughout the trip without changing gears or engaging the clutch when you slowed down?? is it a straight and fast road with minimal traffic?
Quite fascinating.

1)How would starting like that affect your battery?

2)Could you have started in a higher gear to have made the trip faster?

3)Is it possible to start with the accelerator pressed to increase the rpm and prevent it from stalling due to a higher gear?

I'm sorry haha I have too many questions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Is your City a lower trim without push-button start? (Regular twist key to start mechanism)

If so, absence of a clutch lockout is understandable. But if you do have push-button start, it's unforgivable for Honda to have skimped on this.
We also have a same generation City 2016 VX with the Push button start and it doesn't start without clutch being depressed.
It is not acceptable a simple but useful safety feature like this is provided on a higher trim but not on a lower trim, because as we've all seen from here, it's just as necessary in every trim, no matter what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
it resulted in a small squeaking noise whenever the gear lever was operated.

When I got it checked during regular service, the SA said "Please avoid moving the gear lever around to confirm if the car is in neutral as the metals have no lubrication inside with the engine switched off".
So I guess , you just got to be quite liberal with your clutch.
Going to lead to a lot of sad and depressed clutches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvsben View Post
Honda City 2019 also has this battery issue. First, it will no show with a week's time. Then it will be no-show every other day. Nope, the battery isn't weak. That's how it ends up to be.
Our Honda city was mainly used by my grandfather and was maintained very well.

After he passed, the car has been sitting for relatively long periods without being used or even started because there are other vehicles we use, but when we use the city,
It starts up with no problems at all.

The car has sat unused for upwards of a month a few times, YES, I KNOW, I'M SORRY.
But thankfully it has started up every single time with no signs of a weak battery, *(touches wood)*
It's running on the original battery that came with the car in 2016 and hasn't been changed since.

So I'd very strongly disagree with the assumption that the city has a battery problem.

It works every way it should every time we needed it to. touchwood again :P
My grandfather continues to look after it even from up there I guess.
He always loved his cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2020 at 05:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 16th June 2020, 09:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

So you're saying that you
  1. Stopped the car
  2. slotted it into gear
  3. started the car with it being in gear (jerky start , I will guess??)
  4. drove like that all along?

How did you manipulate the speed throughout the trip without changing gears or engaging the clutch when you slowed down?? is it a straight and fast road with minimal traffic?
Quite fascinating.

1)How would starting like that affect your battery?

2)Could you have started in a higher gear to have made the trip faster?

3)Is it possible to start with the accelerator pressed to increase the rpm and prevent it from stalling due to a higher gear?

I'm sorry haha I have too many questions!
I put the car in 2nd Gear and cranked the car. The car would leap forward and start. I drove the car in second gear throughout, without changing the gears. would brake or accelerate depending on need. Anticipatory driving at its best was followed.

This was not a highway or city road. This was a classic Konkan single lane road without much traffic.

The Battery held up quite well. With a weak battery, this would not have been possible.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 16th June 2020 at 09:40.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I have been reading that during prolonged parking, it's better to park the car in gear without engaging the parking brake. So the car was parked in first gear without engaging the handbrake.
This is not true. Its a global 'jugaad' developed specifically for parking at an incline. It would not be mandatory for cars to have "Parking Brakes" if this was a better way to park. Even at an incline, one is expected to use the parking brakes along with putting the car in a short gear that would move you car upwards when driven by the engine. For example, if your parked facing upwards, the car ought to be in 1st gear, whereas if you parked facing downwards, it ought to be in reverse gear (and still have the parking-brake / hand-brake pulled tight).

Most manual cars some with a clutch lock wherein you cannot energise the starter without pressing the clutch. This is a really simple fix even if your car does not come with the feature as standard... all you need is a relay attached to a switch that is enabled by fully depressing the clutch.

As long as all the people are safe, the rest is fixable...
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

A similar incident happened in Bangalore where a woman ended up losing her life.

Ended up paying for my carelessness - An accident in the parking lot-121161921_171063594644034_4864492963792325414_o.jpg

Video, jump to 0:42:
Old 9th October 2020, 12:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
... I am guessing that your car is a later model and TATA has incuded the Safety feature in the later models,
Just FYI, our 2010 Tata Indigo doesn't start without clutch being depressed.
Old 9th October 2020, 22:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Just FYI, our 2010 Tata Indigo doesn't start without clutch being depressed.
I was too young when we had our indigo but that's news to me!

Otherwise our ritz diesel, swift, fiesta, safari, and even the amaze start without clutch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks