Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 19:54   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to avoid road rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have been in and around Toronto for the past one week and have been driving a lot between Pickering and Brampton

The patience that people exhibit can only be seen to believe. No one honks. People give way to let others join their lanes. And no one forms an extra lane.

EDIT: I dont think population density has that much direct impact on road rage as the disdain with which we see others breaking the rules and getting an edge over the law abiding road users.
Not having lived in another country, I've often wondered what it is that makes people behave with much better road manners in some countries, despite heavy traffic, than we do here in our country.

It's not just a matter of being educated, I'm sure that most of the idiots I see in expensive cars here in Bangalore breaking road rules are very well educated. So what is it? Is it better law-enforcement? Generations of people who just follow the law and pass that behavior on to their children? Or is it just something different in the mental make up?

Can anyone shed some light on this, out of their personal experience having driven abroad extensively, or with facts (not just speculating like I have done)?
Old 31st August 2012, 20:20   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is it better law-enforcement? Generations of people who just follow the law and pass that behavior on to their children? Or is it just something different in the mental make up?

Can anyone shed some light on this, out of their personal experience having driven abroad extensively, or with facts (not just speculating like I have done)?
My personal experience is of course not extensive. In fact it can hardly be called even an experience yet! So I am not qualified to answer you. But it seems the heavy penalty to pay if caught breaking the rules must be a big deterrant. Not only do you pay a fine, it also goes on your driving record which is seen by your insurance company. And this leads to higher insurance premiums in turn.

Of course, it is impossible to catch each and every occurence of an offense. But I guess people dont take it to their heart when they see someone else breaking the rules because they feel sooner or later, the offender will get caught.

On the other hand, people also manage to bargain in court and get their violations muted down. But then again, these things also require more personal effort than just taking out a 500 rupee note and settling matters then and there.
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 20:49   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
All said i shoudn talked first. Even now i am ashamed of what i did. I apologize.
Dont need to apologize. Take care to stay away from trouble makers is my word to you. I have faced notorious people on the streets. I just dont even look at them. You will end up wining each and every time you stay calm. Practice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I really want to say Enough of this preaching.
I am concerned ONLY about MY and MY FAMILY's safety ONLY and hence I drive in High beam inside the city. ... and Blah blah blah...
It looks like you have grossly misunderstood the whole purpose of staying calm and cool. Think cool.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 21:00   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
It looks like you have grossly misunderstood the whole purpose of staying calm and cool. Think cool.
Not at all!!
These words are mentioned by other BHPian on weak OEM highlights thread.
What I meant to say is if everyone start thinking the same way then who will take initiative to improve things for himself and others. IMO that post kinda shows the real cause of High Beam menace. Same applies for Road Rage too.
As regards Road Rage, all I wanna say is that there is limit to anything even of patience.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:07   #275
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really want to say Enough of this preaching.
I also ask that why when someone cuts me and while I do the same (yes sometimes I return the favour especially if overtaken from left side) then why the same fellow who cut me maintains half a km gap (behind my car) then onwards and starts driving sanely.
My experience has been exactly opposite. The only two instances, when I lost control and cut back, both had resulted into the situation escalating. I hold myself responsible for it because the original act might or might not be deliberate, but my reaction was deliberate.

On a lighter note, you cut back people and they just drop back? Wow! what do you drive ..Hummer?

Quote:
Can anyone tell, if the person kicks your car, it is mainly due to you are not coming out to talk, and you should not come out to talk because of safety concern, isn't it really a catch-22 situation for any car owner.
Its a catch-22 alright, but the bigger question is - given a choice, would you prefer your car getting kicked or yourself? By staying inside, you can avoid option-2. Now, its your choice!

Last edited by SDP : 31st August 2012 at 21:08.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:26   #276
BHPian

Quote:
As regards Road Rage, all I wanna say is that there is limit to anything even of patience.
My Friend, There is no limit to patience, when you are trying to avoid "ROAD RAGE". The law of applying patience is different for different situation in life.

Last evening, traffic on a main road in Bangalore was held up due to road rage. The road users were held to ransom just because a scooter was brushed by a government bus. Result - the bus driver was hit Black and blue by the public. This happened , because the scooter raced and blocked the bus near a road hump.

I mean, you need to be ready to lose some when you have taken the risk of using the road, i mean, to use the road in India !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
but the bigger question is - given a choice, would you prefer your car getting kicked or yourself? By staying inside, you can avoid option-2. Now, its your choice!
SDP,

I love this from you. This is called great understaning of life & its situations. Great, well said. i appreciate your attitude.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 31st August 2012 at 21:28.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 22:00   #277
Senior - BHPian

I drive a T-Jet :-)

Regarding catch-22 situation, I was just expressing my observation, not giving my opinion that one should/shouldn't go out. Anyway all situations are not same and we can't apply general set of rules in each and every situation.
In Anandv267 case, it is a fact that the biker cool down only after Anand came out, and who knows if he didn't go out, he would've taken it as free for all and damaged his car even more, just to impress his female pillion rider, which I feel may be the reason for the exaggerated behaviour of the guy (eg hurling a bangle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
On a lighter note, you cut back people and they just drop back? Wow! what do you drive ..Hummer?

Its a catch-22 alright, but the bigger question is - given a choice, would you prefer your car getting kicked or yourself? By staying inside, you can avoid option-2. Now, its your choice!

Last edited by carwatcher : 31st August 2012 at 22:12.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 22:22   #278
Senior - BHPian

I have stopped using my car to move around my residential area.

A lot of traffic jams and road rage results with cars parked either side of the roads near shops, for shopping.

I walk everywhere for my shopping, so that's one less car parked on the road. Believe me, I honestly feel this could make a lot of difference.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 02:35   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
am1m - I have not lived extensively abroad, but I'm in California for last 1 year. The main reason I see that people are well mannered because US has better infrastructure and roads which helps people follow the rules.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:04   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
am1m - I have not lived extensively abroad, but I'm in California for last 1 year. The main reason I see that people are well mannered because US has better infrastructure and roads which helps people follow the rules.
Adding to that from my experience in Europe - mostly in Germany

1) Rules are better enforced - the incidents of "you don't know who I am" is much lesser

2) Earning a driving license isn't easy as in India

3) From a very young age , people grow up seeing better road manners

4) People are more accomodating in case of a fellow motorist making a mistake

But to say there is no road rage else where wouldn't be true- you can see honking and universal one finger salute , wherever you go , but to a much lesser extend - There are bad and rash drivers everywhere , some do get under the skin
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 10:24   #281
BHPian

I was travelling on the NH when an Octavia(KA05) suddenly zooms in from the right line, cuts me off and overtakes a bus from the left. I was forced to panic brake. I was calm, aprroached a toll gate where i caught up with him. His lane was stuck so he shifted to my lane behind me. I paid my toll, moved 10 feet and stopped. He paid his toll and honked away to glory. I had a hearty laugh, His horn sounded like a shriek of a 2 yr kid with a sore throat. He must have cursed me!!
Old 4th September 2012, 10:56   #282
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
I was travelling on the NH when an Octavia(KA05) suddenly zooms in from the right line, cuts me off and overtakes a bus from the left. I was forced to panic brake. I was calm, aprroached a toll gate where i caught up with him. His lane was stuck so he shifted to my lane behind me. I paid my toll, moved 10 feet and stopped. He paid his toll and honked away to glory. I had a hearty laugh, His horn sounded like a shriek of a 2 yr kid with a sore throat. He must have cursed me!!
You remained calm and avoided (road-)rage. That would have been a perfect ending.

There was no need to stop and frustrate the errant driver. Don't want to be judgmental here, but your action might have caused road-rage. Most likely he would have been pissed off by the 5 second delay and would have cut-off more vehicles and driven more aggressively to regain the lost time. Just my humble opinion.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 15:35   #283
Senior - BHPian

In a way we are also spreadng the road rage fever.

When the biker kicked the car, the immediate reaction would be one of disbelief. But after that the second reaction is always relative to what we see around. In this case, the biker was accompanied by a girl. What if the biker was accompanied by a ruffian/ goon type fellow? How many of us would get down to slug it out?

For the case of the Octavia above, how many of us would try to block off a Scorpio or Fortuner that has a party flag on it? So again our reaction is relative, isnt it?

I am not trying to judge anyone here. Just saying that we all pick and choose our fights. So if we can do this, maybe it would be better to de escalate the situation. This is again relative and some morons just dont want to talk sense.

So we all continue our merry way depending on which size of fish we encounter at the next turn. If the fish is bigger than us, we move away. If we are bigger, then we are happy by blocking them or cutting them off. That guy then goes looking for other smaller fish to trouble. And so the chain continues.

I wish positive driving traits and smiles could spread so fast!

Last edited by selfdrive : 4th September 2012 at 15:36.
selfdrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 16:21   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Honestly it wasn't a smart move on your part. There is very high possibility that the Octavia driver might be telling his friends (as you did here) about a "2yr kid" who probably didn't know to drive or got stuck up at the toll gate stalling him and everyone else. Probably he didn't even connect both the events and just concluded you were the wrong-doer.

P.s. You are not alone, even I have been guilty of such "revenge" tactics. Just that I have started taking actions to prevent myself from doing such acts, I'd recommend you to understand the same. Lets' do our part in making the drive a happy experience.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th September 2012 at 16:24.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 15:11   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
P.s. You are not alone, even I have been guilty of such "revenge" tactics. Just that I have started taking actions to prevent myself from doing such acts, I'd recommend you to understand the same. Lets' do our part in making the drive a happy experience.
Very good point Ninja! We all may have our share of road rage incidents, but the key is to be aware of those, and make sure that those acts are not repeated. If folks start realizing that roads are not for ego-trips, the so-called road-rage incidents will surely see a decline.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th September 2012 at 15:26.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed